JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They're a gunsmith? A gunsmith operates on a narrow margin. The first build of my target rifle took eleven months, during which time I paid him nothing. The second build of it (at a different 'smith) took ten days; I paid the entire bill upon receipt. When the interval between dropping-off the components and picking-up the finished firearm is months and months, it's not surprising that places go out of business. Then there is the complaint that gunsmiths only work about fifteen minutes per day, and the rest is spent on the phone or drinking coffee. I'm not going to defend that remark; it's just what I've heard people say about gunsmiths. If my gunsmith was still with us, I'd supply to you his name and contact information. Unfortunately, he died of the flu in November of 2013.

They're a gunsmith? A gunsmith operates on a narrow margin. The first build of my target rifle took eleven months, during which time I paid him nothing. The second build of it (at a different 'smith) took ten days; I paid the entire bill upon receipt. When the interval between dropping-off the components and picking-up the finished firearm is months and months, it's not surprising that places go out of business. Then there is the complaint that gunsmiths only work about fifteen minutes per day, and the rest is spent on the phone or drinking coffee. I'm not going to defend that remark; it's just what I've heard people say about gunsmiths. If my gunsmith was still with us, I'd supply to you his name and contact information. Unfortunately, he died of the flu in November of 2013.
I've been to the Robar operation, it was far from a single gunsmith working part time. They had a separate building for doing finishing work, that they were famous for, and another building for gunsmithing which they were also famous for. If true about closing, sorry to see them go.

Did anyone else hear about Robar guns closing? i'm kinda disappointed they closed, i was about to visit and get some work done.

Sadly, I learned of this some time last week. I regret not getting my ankle gun worked on back when I was still wearing the badge. Oh well. Snooze ya lose as the saying goes.
With any luck, perhaps one or more of the 'smith's working there will join up and start their own business.
That said, and as noted elsewhere, the bulk of work performed is paid for upon picking up the firearm so it isn't like cash just flows into the business. There is a LOT of overhead and I can appreciate how difficult it is to maintain a reputable, trustworthy and solvent business, especially in this day and age of anti-gun sentiment and all the regulations dumped on not just gun businesses.
Regardless, I wish the former workers good luck in finding suitable employment.

My good friend JR sent his .223Rem M700 to Hill Country Rifles in Texas for a new barrel. New Braunfels, I think is where they are located. Took a few months, but it came back shooting 3/8" and under groups at 100 yards. He's giddy about it...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top