JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Reminton 541-T bolt action 22LR rifle that was a nice light accurate "critter gitter".
Several of my gun buddies have CZ457 rifles and are competing in benchrest and NRL-22. I felt like the 541 could hold its own against the CZ and decided to upgrade it a bit.

Factory barrel was good but a Lilja barrel would be better so I put one on order.

Factory barrel was pinned and that is never the best attach method so I had the new barrel threaded into the "tiny" receiver.
.660x20TPI with 1.165 long threads is what the barrel ended up with

Had the factory stock inletted so the new barrel would fit. This lets me keep the gun as a critter gitter although no longer light.

In addition to the factory stock, I ordered a Richards Microfit laminated stock to make shooting from a rest easier.
The new stock didn't come with a butt pad so that led to discussion about options. My gunsmith had some walnut pieces and he offered to fashion something. Since he knew I planned to shoot from a rest, he "optimized" the stock even more.

The finished 541 is wonderful and I'll be headed to the range to find what 22LR ammo shoots best with it

Rem 541T Side.jpg Rem 541T Top.jpg Rem 541T Bottom.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm happy for you that your Micro-fit stock was a good fit to your action and barrel. I put one on a target rifle I built over fifteen years ago. My gunsmith charged me about $1000 to make it fit my action and barrel. He told me that if I ever brought another Micro-fit stock to him for work, he'd throw it and me out of his shop. Seems he had to spend many an hour removing enough wood to get to a point that would allow epoxy-bedding of the action into the stock. I am now in the glacially-slow process of building another target rifle. This next one will use a chassis, so no hours and hours of rasp and sandpaper will be required.

Inletting wood is a skill not everyone possesses. I'm fortunate to know people who know how. With the right tools, they prefer a stock without inletting rather than a stock that is "98%" complete. Same is true for fiberglass, not everyone likes working with it.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top