JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@AMproducts, i am not too sure about the shelf life stability of anything with fats or oils in it. Peanut butter, at least the stuff I had stored, goes rancid after extended storage, say, 1 year past the "Best by" date on the jar. same with vacuum sealed nuts.
Luckily, I only had to toss about 4 large jars.
I was rotating through them, but those 4 jars got missed. I learned the same lesson with coffee, freeze dried and ground. (Never tried whole coffee beans, but I suspect the same would hold true.)
Decided if I want caffeine for LTS, I'd be storing tea leaves. I wouldn't store much, just enough to wean me off to reduce the caffeine headaches.

The rancid stuff was probably safe to consume, but I'm one of those that doesn't like the taste of rancid oil, freezer burn, etc.

Honey in sealed containers is the only food I'm aware of that has no real shelf life.

If anyone else that gets to read this wants to find out what foods to store, a good reference is:

Yea, been a bubblegumty year. At least I'm alive, got the scars to prove it.

@AMproducts, i am not too sure about the shelf life stability of anything with fats or oils in it. Peanut butter, at least the stuff I had stored, goes rancid after extended storage, say, 1 year past the "Best by" date on the jar. same with vacuum sealed nuts.
I was rotating through them, but those 4 jars got missed. I learned the same lesson with coffee, freeze dried and ground. (Never tried whole coffee beans, but I suspect the same would hold true.)
Decided if I want caffeine for LTS, I'd be storing tea leaves. I wouldn't store much, just enough to wean me off to reduce the caffeine headaches.

The rancid stuff was probably safe to consume, but I'm one of those that doesn't like the taste of rancid oil, freezer burn, etc.

Honey in sealed containers is the only food I'm aware of that has no real shelf life.

If anyone else that gets to read this wants to find out what foods to store, a good reference is:

This is true up to a point, peanut butter in glass jars with metal lids is best, peanut butter in plastic jars is worst. With coffee, the magic is to use green coffee, after roasting it just doesn't last, this is the whole thing with Starbucks, they "double roast" the coffee and give it that acrid-driving behind an asphalt truck so it will last 6 weeks longer in the warehouse.

One thing you need to look out for with products you're keeping away from air (honey, oils, nut butters, etc) is botulism. This is a real concern with acidic foods like tomato paste, but can also be a concern with Honey and Oils, Extra-Virgin Olive oil especially, this is why you're not supposed to feed honey to babies. I've got friends who are Olive farmers in norcal and make some awesome olive oil, I will ask them if it's OK to post their info. They usually pack it in 2-qt metal cans to keep the light and air away.

In general, anything that has oil or fat, you need to store it just like gasoline if you want it to be good when you need it, in a cool dark place away from air.

Last Edited:

Regarding coffee:

From the website:

"Freeze dried coffee also comes
packed in #10 cams or in mylar bags sealed in rugged plastic
buckets for long term storage of 15-25 years because they are air
tight to preserve freshness."

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top