JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been thinking about acquiring a short/mid term food supply say 3 months for two. Any advice on something that tastes good and has a decent shelf live of at least five years. I'd ideally like to be able to take some as back up camping as back up and replace when needed I've read mixed reviews, any help would be great.

I can't help you with where to buy, but I applaud your decision. Emergency rations are important!

Not,bad, but...if expecting olive garden might be disappointed.

Build a fire out back and put em in iron kettle and they taste better, er so i have read!

I have seen tubs of this type of food at ranch & home stores. I have never seen it at Walmart. I'd go see what you can find at your local farm supply store.

I have seen tubs of this type of food at ranch & home stores. I have never seen it at Walmart. I'd go see what you can find at your local farm supply store.

Uh, isn't that cattle/goat/chicken/swine feed? :rolleyes:

PS: Shop for Mountain House Emergency Food in Meal Solutions, Grains & Pasta. Buy products such as Mountain House Chicken Teriyaki Pro-Pak® at Walmart and save. walmart mountain house fr - Bing

Most of what you want or need can be bought at your grocery. The trick is in how you store it. If you are going to do it there are good directions on the net. The best are on sites put up by the Mormon church. [it's a requirement for them.] And the stuff from the grocery tastes just like what you are already eating! DR

I've been thinking about acquiring a short/mid term food supply say 3 months for two. Any advice on something that tastes good and has a decent shelf live of at least five years. I'd ideally like to be able to take some as back up camping as back up and replace when needed I've read mixed reviews, any help would be great.
What I would like to know is why our government has given can food an expiration date.

What I would like to know is why our government has given canned food an expiration date.
The short answer is because government is looking-out for you. Uncle Sam sees you as too stupid to know enough to not eat a can of something that smells like a bad case of flatulence or my breath in the morning.

I suspect some liberal with too much time on his hands wanted to know how long some evil corporation, intent upon killing tens of thousands of its customers, had kept a can of whatever on the shelves in the warehouse before shipping it to grocery store. Maybe a can somewhere blew-up with botulism, or some tree-huggin' batsard got food poisoning and sat upon the porcelain many, many, many times over a four- or five-day period. That's how it was with me. I never want to go through that again.

It's the same thing for why we have calorie counts on the menu at McDonalds. I know a Big Mac is 6500 calories. I don't care! I'm in the place because I like Big Macs. If the calories in a Whopper Double or a Dave's Triple bothers some milque-toast wimp, he should go to some veggie place and pig-out on tree bark and moss. I like my beef dripping with fat. I'll continue to eat it that way, and the Vegan obamaholes who purport to know so much more than me about myself can go copulate themselves.

Last Edited:
This is another old thread that hasn't seen any action in a while....
The OP has probably long ago solved his dilemma,, but if you're reading this and want to buy bulk foods, you may have to do it mail order off a website.

Legacy food storage and survival warehouse both have a site you can shop. Pleasant hill grain is another.

There used to be a storefront local in Chandler behind the Harley dealer I would go to, but they have been out of business a while now.
Maybe learn how to put up your own LTS foods. It's not hard. Although I do admit when I first started I started with a years supply of the mountain house type stuff. Had to get to a level of comfort and security, and then I learned how to do some of it for myself.

Hope this helps someone!!

This is a complex topic, if you want to just throw money at the problem, I can't recommend Mountain House enough, it's lightweight, tasty, and doesn't have a bunch of garbage additives. I specifically avoid Wise, and some of the others who essentially sell you freeze dried TVP and expect you to make soups. I haven't tried patriot supply or some of the others out there. I highly recommend reading the ingredients list before purchasing, and hopefully trying at least a few of the meals. When it comes to MH, Lasagne, Chicken w/Rice, Biscuits and Gravy are a few of my favs, avoid: Eggs. Having some tabasco or tapatio on hand will make any of these freeze dried meals more palatable.

I took a look at the My Patriot stuff, doesn't look all that interesting, and probably makes much larger portions than anyone is normally going to eat by themselves. There's also a huge impracticality aspect to mixing up a big bowl of freeze dried soup, now you need to eat it all, and do dishes afterwards. Mountain House, pour 2 cups of hot water into bag, wait 5-10 minutes, eat. I think it's actually easier to do MH than MREs all you need is boiling water, no FRH headache.

Generally, I would recommend learning to cook. If you have a few mouths to feed you can do well with a can of spam, some dried beans, some bullion cubes, onion powder, and some freeze-dried carrots. You can make an incredible amount of food with this and no one will complain (unless they're vegan or something).

Also, whenever you're looking for something, always check calories and serving size, figure out what the cost/kcal and cost/oz is. Some foods are cheaper, but they're also heavier, some foods are cheaper because they simply contain less energy.

Beyond this, the cheapest shelf stable food: Peanut butter.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top