JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So one thing we tried on NWFA was to get a weekly radio net going. It never had much luck, mostly because I've been spending most of my time in Socal due to a family health problem.

Anyways, since SWFA is getting going again, are there any other radio amateurs out there who want to try getting a regular HF net going?

Sunday nights seemed to work best for some people, however, I'm usually out camping on saturday nights, which provides more opportunities for doing radio stuff.

Anyone have any interest in participating?

It is easier said than accomplished I am thinking. I got my license a few years ago, a hand held and a mobile for the car. I use a cheap magnet attached antenna for the car and the hand held pretty much uses what it came with. I am lucky to get a range of 100 miles, depending upon where I am. I occasionally hear folks a couple hundred miles off, but not often. You are in GA ... that's a long way off. My thinking is it would be nice to be able to link a net, but it sure takes time to learn the details. It also takes time to work the net, and with so many choices these days I find it tough to settle down and focus on one hobby. So like to, want to, learn to all come into play. Interests such as this go on my, 'To Do List', but more often than not I'll grab a rifle and go to the range rather than the text book to learn more about amateur radio.

Generally, this net would be used for HF, I don't know what license you have. But generally if you want to talk on a frequency below 10m you're going to need to have at least a general class license. With the lower frequency comes bigger antennas. We could try doing 6m and 10m. On 10m you're limited to SSB phone on a very limited portion of the band. 6m might work, provided you have a radio that will talk it.

Here's one of the cheaper options I've seen for an all-mode 6m dedicated radio: Ranger RCI-5054DX Amateur 6 Meter Mobile Radio from Ranger Communications

At the moment, I'm in southern california. if you're in sac, it's about a ~300-350 mile shot which is almost in NVIS range, but unless you can get on 40m (general class) you're probably SOL for that. I think the furthest I've ever managed was talking into the big bear repeater from a peak north of I-40 and east of kelso road. This was on a mobile with 65W and a rather large mobile antenna. I also go camping off 395 quite a bit, so with an NVIS setup, we would probably be within the 200mi radius to do this. (despite the sierra nevada being in the way). Or if I'm up at mt pacifico, which is ~7500ft, we could probably talk mobile to mobile FM if you had a little bit of elevation, or a slightly directional antenna.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top