JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, Ive been reloading for a while but besides 45 acp its been all rifle rounds. I decided to grab a die set for the 9mm since when me and the girl spend 20180415_072707.jpg a day at the range, we tend to blow through 500+ rnds of 9mm. I grabbed a set of the hornday new dimensions custom grade, I actually like most of the hornday dies. What I am noticing is when I size/decap the die, it is causing the case to be stretched 1/10th" bringing it to .750 which is fine but the case stretching is causing a discoloration stretch ring that looks like what you would look for in head-seperation. You cant feel a ridge but this has got me a little worried. Ive tried adjusting the die up and down and lube the case as well. I dont have this issue with 45 and i know the 9mm isnt a TRUE straight walled case. Is this normal with the hornady or 9mm or should i give hornady a call.

My guess is that where the discoloration is would be where the case thickens naturally. That part of it probably did not expand, and does not need to be resized. So it doesn't contact the resizing die. One thing I do is lightly lube even my pistol cases [even tho you dont need to with carbide dies]. This smooths out the operation and I don't notice a ring like that. One other possibility is that you are not pushing the case deep enough into the die to give it the slight taper it needs. Altho I see you already tried that. That might also leave that ring. You might also send that pic to hornaday. Good Luck DR

My guess is that where the discoloration is would be where the case thickens naturally. That part of it probably did not expand, and does not need to be resized. So it doesn't contact the resizing die. One thing I do is lightly lube even my pistol cases [even tho you dont need to with carbide dies]. This smooths out the operation and I don't notice a ring like that. One other possibility is that you are not pushing the case deep enough into the die to give it the slight taper it needs. Altho I see you already tried that. That might also leave that ring. You might also send that pic to hornaday. Good Luck DR
Thank you for the reply. Yeah i measured the entire case as that was what I 1st suspected but its properly tapering the case...i also lowered the die until i couldn't cam-over anymore still the same....I did find a forum where there was a discussion that this was normal but as you suggested I will give hornady a call today. They are really good with their customer service.

Hey guys, Ive been reloading for a while but besides 45 acp its been all rifle rounds. I decided to grab a die set for the 9mm since when me and the girl spend View attachment 1171 a day at the range, we tend to blow through 500+ rnds of 9mm. I grabbed a set of the hornday new dimensions custom grade, I actually like most of the hornday dies. What I am noticing is when I size/decap the die, it is causing the case to be stretched 1/10th" bringing it to .750 which is fine but the case stretching is causing a discoloration stretch ring that looks like what you would look for in head-seperation. You cant feel a ridge but this has got me a little worried. Ive tried adjusting the die up and down and lube the case as well. I dont have this issue with 45 and i know the 9mm isnt a TRUE straight walled case. Is this normal with the hornady or 9mm or should i give hornady a call.

What is happening is the die is only resizing three fourths of the case. That is normal due to your observation that 9mm is a semi straight walled case. My Dillon dies leave the cases with an hourglass shape, which aids in smoother feeding and extraction of the cases.
Your ammo will be fine.

thank you!...yeah I heard exactly what you said as well as it might be an issue....so far this is the only hornady die I have had an issue with but as long as its not really an issue im fine with it. Now I can finish loading the rest of my cases :). Question for you, have any experience with the RCBS X-Die's? I just ordered a couple, I heard really good things and if I can extend brass life for my .308 out of my AR ill be happy. Unfortunately, they are one of the few that dont have a contract with AA to produce 6.5 Grendel which I would've definitely benefited. They do make their "AR Series" in .264 LBC which is primarily the same rnd but have never been a fan in small based dies

Since the case is lengthening, you most like are NOT confusing the separation between where the case is burnished from the sizing die and where sizing ends.
9x19 is the only straight-wall case that, at least for me, occasionally needs to have some case lube as sizing gets difficult. If you are really getting case stretching, try some case lube.

While this is a late response to this thread, what you are experiencing is normal.

straight walled pistol cases can see up to 40 reloads per case. Most of the time the mouth will split before anything else bad happens.

YMMV

As a class 07 manufacturer, I always apply case lube (Dillon is my favorite) to all cases, even handgun. It not only makes the entire process much smoother, but it reduces wear on dies, and reduces powder loss when pulling a sticky case out of a sizing die. The vibration can dislodge powder from cases at other stations.
Money saved is money earned...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top