JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Failure to obey the request can result in your arrest for trespassing. (ARS 13-1502 / ARS 13-1503).

So, if someone inside a business asks you to remove your firearm from the premises, you must comply or risk arrest.

This is the key for me. I remember looking into this when visiting Tombstone a couple years back and seeing a bunch of no guns signs in windows.

So the way i understand it - a no firearms sign posted in accordance with the law, next to a liquor license, in an establishment that sells liquor, legally bars a citizen from carrying open or concealed within that establishment.
Any other kind of business does not have the weight of law behind them to bar firearms from being carried in their establishment - but they do have the right to ask you to leave, at which point, if you don't, you would be guilty of trespassing.

For me, this means i would simply avoid non liquor businesses that bar firearms because i don't want to give them my money. But if i didn't see a sign, or if i needed to make a purchase and it was the only available establishment at the time, i would respectfully - as always - carry concealed with my concealed carry license, and nobody would know i was carrying.

@11Charlie appreciate the cleanup

If you carry concealed into a business that has a no guns allowed sign posted by the door, then you are in violation of the law - you can be arrested and charged with a crime. A business does have the right to decide whether or not firearms are allowed on their property. While I do not like it when a business has those signs posted, I will comply with their wishes, as the risk of arrest and prosecution is not worth it.

It is illegal to enter any business or other premises that have no firearm signs posted if you are carrying a firearm (open or concealed). The CCW website answered a question sort of related to this as follows:

I ENTERED A PRIVATE BUSINESS WITH MY CONCEALED HANDGUN AND CCW PERMIT. THE BUSINESS DID NOT HAVE ANY SIGNS POSTED PROHIBITING WEAPONS. SHORTLY THEREAFTER, AN EMPLOYEE APPROACHED ME AND SAID THEY DO NOT ALLOW FIREARMS IN THEIR BUSINESS AND I MUST TAKE THE GUN OFF THE PREMISES. CAN THEY DO THAT?
Yes. Arizona law permits private business owners (or their designates) to prohibit weapons from being brought onto their property, whether signs are posted or not. Private businesses are typically non-government operated businesses such as grocery and department stores, convenience stores, laundromats, banks, office complexes, etc. Failure to obey the request can result in your arrest for trespassing. (ARS 13-1502 / ARS 13-1503).

So, if someone inside a business asks you to remove your firearm from the premises, you must comply or risk arrest. If you see the no firearms sign, just comply - especially if you have a CCW permit. I am not willing to risk prosecution and loss of my CCW permit just to 'prove a point'. If you have a CCW permit, they should have gone over this in the class. Why take the chance??

Sorry but my life is more important than the offending business' right to exclude me. No metal detector/security guard tells me that my gun is welcome inside

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top