JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We humans have some peculiar traits—but blaming the messenger has to be one of the strangest. The cops are alerting the public to what is a public safety issue and asking the folks to at least safeguard their firearms. Burglars and thieves love the gun owners that believe their responsibility to secure their weapon(s) stops by locking the doors. My guns are secure only in my locked gun safe or on my person; otherwise, they're only safeguarded.

I agree with you but the thing is we should lock our guns up because we are smart gun owners not because they tell me I have to. My wife and I are empty nesters. Now if I left all of my guns out IMHO I would be negligent. I lock them up and they are tucked safely in to my gun safe and 90% of my ammo is stacked up in a second. But if I want to leave a AR out over night leaning in the corner then I should be able to.

we are smart gun owners not because they tell me I have to.
Unfortunately, THEY know that most gun owners are not smart about gun storage. Sadly, many if not most gun owners do not consider the risks an unsecured weapon poses. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that most gun owners safeguard their firearm in a nightstand drawer, the back of dresser drawer, or in a shoebox on the shelf in their closet.

So if someone breaks into my house and steels something , it is my fault ?

If someone breaks into your home & steals your gun, now you have lost your valuable property & another criminal now has the tool they need to hurt or kill someone else. On top of all that you don't want to blame yourself?

Who would you like to blame for your not having safeguarded your dangerous property?

We humans have some peculiar traits—but blaming the messenger has to be one of the strangest. The cops are alerting the public to what is a public safety issue and asking the folks to at least safeguard their firearms. Burglars and thieves love the gun owners that believe their responsibility to secure their weapon(s) stops by locking the doors. My guns are secure only in my locked gun safe or on my person; otherwise, they're only safeguarded.
So do you keep your prescription meds in a vault so they can't be taken? Do you have no doors or windows in your home so as to avert a home invasion? How about your car? At some point the blame has to laid at the feet of those committing the crimes, not the innocent victims. The Police are trying to blame them for their failing to provide a secure environment to live in.

So do you keep your prescription meds in a vault so they can't be taken? Do you have no doors or windows in your home so as to avert a home invasion? How about your car? At some point the blame has to laid at the feet of those committing the crimes, not the innocent victims. The Police are trying to blame them for their failing to provide a secure environment to live in.
These off-point remarks still do not absolve a gun-owner from their responsibility to safeguard their firearm. The police are not blaming anyone for being a victim but they are asking people to take a greater degree of personal responsibility to secure their firearms.

I have my CJ2A, with a locked storage box where the rear seat would normally be, it's about as secure as I can make it, but some one with a good pair of bolt cutters could still get in. I have taken reasonable steps to assure my firearms are safe, and yet if some one does break in and steals them, am I still held accountable? This is A growing issue all over the West!

These off-point remarks still do not absolve a gun-owner from their responsibility to safeguard their firearm. The police are not blaming anyone for being a victim but they are asking people to take a greater degree of personal responsibility to secure their firearms.
I'm simply pointing out that there are other dangerous items that can be stolen. Point being is that they are being STOLEN, not simply handed over to a someone that may commit a crime. Again, you are making the victims of a crime the negligent party.

If someone breaks into your home & steals your gun, now you have lost your valuable property & another criminal now has the tool they need to hurt or kill someone else. On top of all that you don't want to blame yourself?

Who would you like to blame for your not having safeguarded your dangerous property?
[/QUOTE
Should I lock up my kitchen knives , hammers , screwdrivers and baseball bats ? Not to mention anything else that can be used to kill people ?

Unfortunately the police are losing ground everyday, so why not try taking a bit of responsibility for your own self?

While I am busy taking some small amount of responsibility for my own actions, Yes--I do lock my unreplaceable prescriptions in the same safe that my guns are in--I don't worry about my knives, even though they would cost over $1k to replace

Again, you are making the victims of a crime the negligent party.
I am not labeling a crime victim as negligent. Many victims have taken great care to safeguard their firearms.

A victim can be negligent by being neglectful; by failing to use the care that a normally careful person would in a given situation.

There are too many guns being stolen everyday because owners are failing to safeguard them. This failure to safeguard their guns reflects badly on the 1 in 3 Americans who own at least one gun and leads to more silly laws being enacted.

Criminals don't care about laws, they don't care about the courts or any punishment if found guilty, and they do not fear jail or prison so most legislators are only making life more difficult for the law-abiding, responsible gun owning citizens.

I sell custom doors for a living. It is very common for people to come in and say that they don't want any glass in there door so people can't break the glass and reach in and unlock the door. My response usually is a chuckle and a comment. " If someone wants in your house they are getting in glass in your door is not going to make a difference!"

Point to the story is. As gun owners should we do our do diligence to lock them up. IMHO yes. Should there be a law saying we have to. HE!! NO!!!!!!
If someone knows you have guns and wants to steel them they will steel them. Best way to avoid this issue is to be the Grey Man. Only talk to people you trust.

YUP! Had a buddy get his entire collection stolen, including a few that were several generations in his family! Bad guys backed a Dodge diesel through the closed garage door, hooked a big logging chain around his safe that was bolted to the floor, put that big dodge in low gear and stood on the loud peddle, had about 4 feet of slack in the chain to give that roarin Cummins a head start and out she popped, and was drug down the street sparks and all! found the safe in a wooded lot little over a mile away, empty! Homeowners insurance just laughed at him,No coverage for guns! Sadly, if the baddies want what you got, they ill figure out a way to get it!

I have no love for those who tell me how to store/secure my guns. I throw away that idiotic lock you get with every gun as I walk past the garbage can outside the store. I keep any I might have in my closet. They ain't locked-up, but the door to my place is dead-bolted with two locks. One door in, and I live on the second floor.

YUP! Had a buddy get his entire collection stolen, including a few that were several generations in his family! Bad guys backed a Dodge diesel through the closed garage door, hooked a big logging chain around his safe that was bolted to the floor, put that big dodge in low gear and stood on the loud peddle, had about 4 feet of slack in the chain to give that roarin Cummins a head start and out she popped, and was drug down the street sparks and all! found the safe in a wooded lot little over a mile away, empty! Homeowners insurance just laughed at him,No coverage for guns! Sadly, if the baddies want what you got, they ill figure out a way to get it!

That's true, but the majority of robbery I see in my work & area have the thieves ignoring
a heavy gun safe & just stealing everything else--they don't even steal microwaves & vcr's
anymore

I have no love for those who tell me how to store/secure my guns. I throw away that idiotic lock you get with every gun as I walk past the garbage can outside the store. I keep any I might have in my closet. They ain't locked-up, but the door to my place is dead-bolted with two locks. One door in, and I live on the second floor.

In my line of work I see folks much like yourself, the day after they've been cleaned out--it's sad to me, because the cost of a heavy gun safe is under $1k--just a couple of average cost guns in a collection, that could have saved your @ss

Many home insurance plans have coverage for your guns but require a picture and written description with proof of value, which is possibly just finding your gun model online & making a copy of that page for your file along with speaking to your agent & getting something in writing

As a member of the NRA you have $2,500 worth of ArmsCare insurance on your guns What You Need to Know About the Included NRA Insurance

Last Edited:
I have my CJ2A, with a locked storage box where the rear seat would normally be, it's about as secure as I can make it, but some one with a good pair of bolt cutters could still get in. I have taken reasonable steps to assure my firearms are safe, and yet if some one does break in and steals them, am I still held accountable? This is A growing issue all over the West!

If you have a sign of forcible entry I don't see how it can be held against you

The messenger in that story happened to be pointing a finger of blame at the average gun owner, while completely ignoring the numerous incidents of so-called law enforcement pros having guns lost, stolen, or left in a bathroom somewhere.

The messenger in that story happened to be pointing a finger of blame at the average gun owner,
This is the message I got from watching the video and reading the text..."We need your help. Lock up your houses. Lock up your cars. Lock up your firearms so they stay out of the hands of criminals," added Burr. 100 guns stolen in 106 days (20 from cars) seems like a good reason to me for a public appeal.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top