JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I'm taking a couple of peoples advice here from the forum...
Crime rate in my overpriced middle class neighborhood caused me to reach out to neighbors and talk community defense.

A couple who live across the street opened up to me and admit that they have inherited hand guns but never fired them and barely understand how to load them.
So I had them retrieve them and went through the manual of arms to operate them and dry fire them.

I agreed to take them to range this Saturday for live fire and hopefully inspire them to take professional advanced training.

They're middle of the road Dems "normies".
I kept my "extreme" political views to myself, swallowed my pride and was very diplomatic to effect co-operation.

I hope this doesn't come back and bite me in the bubblegum. I'll follow up and let you all know how it works out. :)

I understand they know very little about guns. Proceed slowly; use as few technical terms and jargon as you can. If they don't completely understand what they're hearing, they'll tune-out and we may lose them as shooters. I'd bring a .22LR handgun or rifle to acquaint them with the report and recoil before you get to the wheppins they have. The sound of a round going-off scares the shih-tzu out of those who are largely unfamiliar with guns. Start small and progress to larger calibers as they become more comfortable with the shooting sports. It's a good thing they came to you to gain some knowledge versus turning to MSNBC or CNN to learn about firearms and firearms owners. I have a friend who was a super liberal-- until I put a .357 revolver into his hand. That was November 2009. Didn't take him even 90 days and he's now as conservative as me, if not more so. The lost can be saved; just takes patience and the ability to teach them the truth about wheppins...

I am interested to know how they described their experience.
I'll let you know, they're center left and oblivious to what's happening to our country but definitely not anti-gun yet.

With any luck I'll make sure their experience is safe, fun and convert a few to our team.

I have a buddy who is very calm and soft spoken. I usually try and take him with me when I do things like this. That way if I get pissed off I can go to the bathroom and cool off.

Oh and good on you brother. :s0160:

I understand they know very little about guns. Proceed slowly; use as few technical terms and jargon as you can. If they don't completely understand what they're hearing, they'll tune-out and we may lose them as shooters. I'd bring a .22LR handgun or rifle to acquaint them with the report and recoil before you get to the wheppins they have. The sound of a round going-off scares the shih-tzu out of those who are largely unfamiliar with guns. Start small and progress to larger calibers as they become more comfortable with the shooting sports. It's a good thing they came to you to gain some knowledge versus turning to MSNBC or CNN to learn about firearms and firearms owners. I have a friend who was a super liberal-- until I put a .357 revolver into his hand. That was November 2009. Didn't take him even 90 days and he's now as conservative as me, if not more so. The lost can be saved; just takes patience and the ability to teach them the truth about wheppins...
That's all it takes. Put a gun in a liberals hand you will change his life and he will spend all his money on his new hobby and not donate it to democrat tyrants.

Update: We had an outstanding trip to the range today! Since daycare was a problem last week I suggested that my neighbor leave his wife with the kids and just he and I go.
I got him on target with his 9mm at 3yds to build his confidence. Next he wanted to shoot my Glock 41 in .45acp he Loved it!
Next week he wants me to take his wife.
She seems pretty excited.
Since I don't have access to a .22 pistol I'll start her out on my Sig p238 in .380 it has really light recoil.

Went to the range and took the neighbors wife (Kelly). She brought her next door neighbor another female (Victoria) whom it just so happened was involved in a physical altercation with her husband this last week.
Kelly did pretty well but is still pretty skittish, she said it was fun and was all smiles. I explained that with more practice she'll loosen up. Victoria however was a natural.

Folks shooting in the booth next to us had an AR. This made for a lively conversation on the way home. I explained a gun is simply a tool only as good or bad as the person using it. She graduated high school two years after the Columbine shooting from a nearby school and was fairly traumatized.

I count today as a win, progress was made.
Neighborly connections were improved.
It was a good day.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top