Please advice......Deer choke?

Reactions
OK, hoping someone can point me in the proper direction.
My son has a Remington 20 gauge 870 express, smooth barrel with a modified choke.
To hunt deer, I think I need a regular cylinder choke to shoot rifled slugs. What other choke could I use with rifled shot?
Please advise.

Reactions
Personally I would look for a cheap used savage for him to use. Maybe in 30-06
Some states are shotgun only for deer. My home state of Wisconsin has counties that are shotgun only.
Agree on using a rifle when possible, but it may not be an option. Again, thee suggestion of a rifles shotgun barrel is the best solution except for shot. In that case, a modified or improved cylinder is best, keeping in mind that #4 buck and larger will cause more pressure at the muzzle than smaller shot does. You don't want your barrel peeling back like Elmer Fudds...

Some states are shotgun only for deer. My home state of Wisconsin has counties that are shotgun only.
Agree on using a rifle when possible, but it may not be an option. Again, thee suggestion of a rifles shotgun barrel is the best solution except for shot. In that case, a modified or improved cylinder is best, keeping in mind that #4 buck and larger will cause more pressure at the muzzle than smaller shot does. You don't want your barrel peeling back like Elmer Fudds...
Ya I know and If I lived in new york I'd move!!!:s0114:

Reactions
I hunted deer in Iowa with a 12 gauge until I left for Arizona, 20 years. I had a smooth barrel and found it really did not make much difference rifled or smooth barrels or slugs. We used stands as the slugs were not much good on a moving animal over 40 yards. I remember watching a friends dad shooting with his A5 at a deer maybe 70 yards away as it loped right to left. The shells always fell behind the animal at that particular time. We kept saying lead and he kept saying I am. We had to have round limiters in our guns only 3 just like birds.
My gun did not like 1 oz slugs, wandered all over the target. 3/4 oz was what it liked. I knew some people that used OO buck but their success rate depended on distance.
Deer were very plentiful and if you knew where they bed getting one was a couple hour hunt.
I knew where almost every creature on our section of land liked to be and at what time.
Still had to bring my angus cattle up to the house before letting the business guys from Des Moines loose. Ya some of the stories are true.

I do not think that unless you get a rifled barrel, what is on the end of the gun is not of any concern.

Reactions
I've often wondered if a choke would work at all if one used a slug. Never had the guts to find out first hand. Generally I've found a modified choke works more or less universally pretty well for shot of any size

UPCOMING EVENTS

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Arizona State Fairgrounds
1826 W McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85007, USA
Douglas County / Gardnerville Gun Show
Douglas County Fairgrounds
920 Dump Rd, Gardnerville, NV 89410, USA
New Reno Firearm & Western Show
Reno-Sparks Convention Center
4590 S Virginia St, Reno, NV 89502, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Alpha Dog Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    A great place to browse, knowledgeable all veteran staff and no snooty attitude. Good selection with prices to match, they take consignments as...
    • SubRosa
  • Bass Pro Shops - Las Vegas
    4.00 star(s)
    2 pistol and 2 rifle ranges. Not too bad of a layout but they are tight.
    • djthumper
  • Nellis Gun Club
    3.00 star(s)
    Tried to take my Scouts out for Rifle Merit Badge Qualifications and it took a while to make contact with them for when we could go use the range...
    • djthumper
  • Bruno Shooter Supply
    4.00 star(s)
    When I can get there, I never leave without buying something I needs, because they always have something I need!
    • armoredman
  • New Frontier Armory
    5.00 star(s)
    Great store and inventory, they have a lot of items. The staff is always friendly and helpful. This place gets really busy and you have to take a...
    • djthumper