Please advice......Deer choke?

Reactions
OK, hoping someone can point me in the proper direction.
My son has a Remington 20 gauge 870 express, smooth barrel with a modified choke.
To hunt deer, I think I need a regular cylinder choke to shoot rifled slugs. What other choke could I use with rifled shot?
Please advise.

Reactions
Personally I would look for a cheap used savage for him to use. Maybe in 30-06
Some states are shotgun only for deer. My home state of Wisconsin has counties that are shotgun only.
Agree on using a rifle when possible, but it may not be an option. Again, thee suggestion of a rifles shotgun barrel is the best solution except for shot. In that case, a modified or improved cylinder is best, keeping in mind that #4 buck and larger will cause more pressure at the muzzle than smaller shot does. You don't want your barrel peeling back like Elmer Fudds...

Some states are shotgun only for deer. My home state of Wisconsin has counties that are shotgun only.
Agree on using a rifle when possible, but it may not be an option. Again, thee suggestion of a rifles shotgun barrel is the best solution except for shot. In that case, a modified or improved cylinder is best, keeping in mind that #4 buck and larger will cause more pressure at the muzzle than smaller shot does. You don't want your barrel peeling back like Elmer Fudds...
Ya I know and If I lived in new york I'd move!!!:s0114:

Reactions
I hunted deer in Iowa with a 12 gauge until I left for Arizona, 20 years. I had a smooth barrel and found it really did not make much difference rifled or smooth barrels or slugs. We used stands as the slugs were not much good on a moving animal over 40 yards. I remember watching a friends dad shooting with his A5 at a deer maybe 70 yards away as it loped right to left. The shells always fell behind the animal at that particular time. We kept saying lead and he kept saying I am. We had to have round limiters in our guns only 3 just like birds.
My gun did not like 1 oz slugs, wandered all over the target. 3/4 oz was what it liked. I knew some people that used OO buck but their success rate depended on distance.
Deer were very plentiful and if you knew where they bed getting one was a couple hour hunt.
I knew where almost every creature on our section of land liked to be and at what time.
Still had to bring my angus cattle up to the house before letting the business guys from Des Moines loose. Ya some of the stories are true.

I do not think that unless you get a rifled barrel, what is on the end of the gun is not of any concern.

Reactions
Dunno if it's legal everywhere, but I have noticed that some places permit use of rifled slug barrels with open sights or scopes made specifically for shotguns. If I lived or hunted in such a place that's the route I'd take even tho Ive used slugs effectively in smooth bored barrels.. Brenneke sabot slugs seem to work well too, from what I hear.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Arizona State Fairgrounds
1826 W McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85007, USA
Reno Convention Center
4590 S Virginia St, Reno, NV 89502, USA
Findlay Toyota Center
3201 Main St, Prescott Valley, AZ 86314, USA
Top Bottom