JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am moving to Phoenix very soon. I have a very new as in Christmas present of a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor, I also picked up a Boyds AT-One stock. I'm curious if anyone can recommend a gunsmith in Phoenix (within or close by) who specializes in bedding. I'd like to have this AT-One custom Pill/action bedded as I move the Ruger American into it's new stock.

I'd like recommendations and what to expect it in terms of cost.

Thanks,
CaptJack "Mike"

I know this is not what you asked for, But I always shoot a new gun before bedding to first see if its needed, and second to get the data to know that bedding has made an improvement. Shoot it in it's original stock to get its baseline, shoot it again in the new stock, and then decide if you really need the bedding, or if that money would be better spent on a scope upgrade, a bi pod, a reloading setup, etc... Good Luck with the new gun. DR

Dangerranger, You are correct. I do plan on fitting it to the stock this weekend and I will definitely shoot it first. I asked my question as I am getting kinda anxious for the move and hoping to get some early intel on shooting in AZ. Potential gunsmiths to meet up with. In my pas, mostly I've done almost all Black rifles (AR's and AK's) , the bolt/hunting rifles I've had I've mostly shot them stock other than the scope and mounts. Example I had a Ruger M77 ultralight for years, shooting and hunting with it exactly as Ruger meant it to be. I've never owned a long range or med range precision rifle or action and this boyds stock I guess would be a middle ground and something new for me. I forgot to mention, Boyds sent a bedding kit along with the stock which was also a surprise.

CaptJack "Mike"

I know this is not what you asked for, But I always shoot a new gun before bedding to first see if its needed, and second to get the data to know that bedding has made an improvement. Shoot it in it's original stock to get its baseline, shoot it again in the new stock, and then decide if you really need the bedding, or if that money would be better spent on a scope upgrade, a bi pod, a reloading setup, etc... Good Luck with the new gun. DR

I have had quite a few rifles that fit the Medium precision bill. Most have shot up to there expectations without bedding. But a couple , The bedding made a big difference! So you won't know till you shoot it. The target will tell you!
I can't help you with Smith's in AZ. I'm still in CA. And My long time smith is finishing up his back log and retiring.
I have done a couple my self that were more simple actions. The browning only needed a pad around the recoil lug, and a pad at the rear of the receiver. So I had little danger of gluing the action into the stock. The Savage varmint rifles were similar. I don't know what Ruger's action looks like. Good Luck. DR

I am moving to Phoenix very soon. I have a very new as in Christmas present of a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor, I also picked up a Boyds AT-One stock. I'm curious if anyone can recommend a gunsmith in Phoenix (within or close by) who specializes in bedding. I'd like to have this AT-One custom Pill/action bedded as I move the Ruger American into it's new stock.

I'd like recommendations and what to expect it in terms of cost.

Thanks,
CaptJack "Mike"
Another route to consider is Hogue makes a synthetic stock with a metal backbone and attached, built-in pillars. You just drop your rifle into the stock, torque the mounting screws and you're done. Then you could sell the Boyd's stock.

I used the Hogue stock on a Howa 1500 in .30-06 and I'm very pleased with the results.

ZigZag, thanks for the response, however I already just received a Boyds AT-One wood laminate stock that is going to be the host. Thanks again.
CaptJack "Mike"

Another route to consider is Hogue makes a synthetic stock with a metal backbone and attached, built-in pillars. You just drop your rifle into the stock, torque the mounting screws and you're done. Then you could sell the Boyd's stock.

I used the Hogue stock on a Howa 1500 in .30-06 and I'm very pleased with the results.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top