JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I mentioned above shooting 800 yards with an 18" AR-15. That is with a 77 grain handloads. With factory 55 grain projectiles 500 yards is close to my limit.

At 72, I can't shoot 5 feet with iron sights. Well, I can shoot all I want, I just can't see anything LOL

I have a Hogan AR15 (Pre-POF lawsuit) I've had it out to 400, and thought that was quite far enough for the little guy. Just didn't seem what it was designed to do, and I have other rifles that play that game better. Even my POF AR10 I've only had out to 500... it was a hoot, but also, have rifles that play that game better.

All my addictions I liken to a tool box full of my favorite tools. (Which I also have, strangely enough...) All of them have a purpose that suits them... I like my crescent wrench when I just need to loosen something quick, and it doesn't have to be precise. I like my box end wrench when I want a good non slip grip on a fastener, maybe in a tight area, plus the capability to turn it around and use the open end to make removal quicker. I like my sockets and impacts when I have a bunch of fasteners to loosen or tighten.

So it's the same with my firearm addictions. The crescent wrench is like my pistols, the AR's are like my box end wrenches, and the LR rifles are like my sockets and impacts.

Kind of a crappy analogy, but it works for me.

Now, if all I had was a hammer, EVERYTHING would look like a nail!!

So I'm not saying you shouldn't try using your tools to their fullest capability, I do that too. I'm saying at some point, with all those fasteners to loosen and tighten, you're gonna start seeing how sockets and an impact are going to make your work easier and more enjoyable. You might even go shopping...

Good info! I understand it's pushing it's limits but if I can shoot the AR15 out to 500 yards I'll be happy. Those 250 yard shots were done with regular 55gr ammo, I need to pickup some heavier match stuff.
The quickest way I can get you kind on track is first the need to know what your barrel twist is. If it is a standard brand AR and not a build, the information is usually east to be found out The quicker the twist the heaver the bullet it will handle accurately. Sometimes it will be marked on the outside of the barrel, other wise you can push a patch through on a cleaning rod, and put a piece of tape around the rod at the muzzle leaving a tag. As you pull the rod back out, count the number of turns that hanging tag makes. Half the amount of turns in a 20" barrel will give the amount of twist in say 10". Or just measure the rod length and count the tuns the tag makes. Early ARs or M-16 were 1 in 14 or 1 in 12 and were mostly lighter wt. bullets. I have a Rem 700 with 1 in 14 Pac Nor barrel, I bought used with no idea how many rounds through it. It shoots 40 gr. Noslers, 10 rounds in under MOA at 100yds. Long range it isn't going to hold the same 10 round MOA. It will do a certain amount. Your 55 grains will do close to MOA two to 300 if you tighten that twist even a little. When you you get around 1 in 7 or so, now we can really start getting into 500 yards and if you can read the winds and flags streach it more. I have one AR with a Spike lower and a heavy barrel 1 in 8, that I want to try Nosler's 77 grain. Those take a bit of guess out of it, but kind of matching bullet weight to barrel twist. Two ways to squeeze a bit more accuracy out of your rifle. Easy way but costly replace your trigger. I have my local smith polish my triggers. Seldom lighten ARs. Use a floating forearm. The Colt I use for duty came with a floating forearm. They are pretty reasonable now. It all means not so much if it's just a shooter and you're not trying to squeeze precision out of it. The 55 or what I use for target 40s. fun loads. One of our Deputies found out the hard way 55gr. FMJ are not good for anything that has to go through any kind of cover. Several rounds through a car windshield penetrated, but the energy was spent once through and did no damage to the driver. The 62 gr Green tip maybe, but it wasn't what he carried. Always nice to have pretty fair accuracy with the round you will use, unless it pure target or a varmit load! I know that I won't carry any less the 62 green tips. I think you can save yourself some time and money by attempting to match bullet weights to rifling twists for long distances. I Kind of favor Noslers even though a bit more than Hornady, not much. Also if you wanted to experiment a little, Nostler sells blems, both bullets and loaded rounds They are pretty nice people to work with and helpful.

Have you done it? I'd like to know what the max amount is and who you call to do so?
The ticketing agent will tell you all you need to know. I just brought the two-gun case up to the baggage cross-over at the counter, told them it was empty, they checked my honesty and said I could insure it for up to $500 for some amount of money. It would be insured by the airline for $100 just as a matter of course. Well, it was an empty case, so I took the standard $100 at no charge and let it fly. It got to Dulles just fine, and it was a psychological blast for me to walk through Dulles pulling a long and thick gun case-- a place where those who abhor Freedom soil their BVDs upon seeing a firearm or a case that most certainly has a firearm inside it.

So here is a question for you Arizona guys. In another thread you mentioned getting mirage's and that it stops you from shooting long distance by a certain time of day. While I get that and it makes perfect sense. What do our boys in the middle east do? I mean the enemy doesn't stop and you must carry out your mission right? I mean there must be something that helps with this.

Don't you remember that's an easy to fix.... you just call it an "oasis" instead. :s0140:

BTW, me and @11Charlie have the same .308 T3xCTR Tikka set-ups except I have a Leupold VX3i-LRP 6.5-20x50 with the Impact-60 MOA reticle (Horus style). Hitting out to 1000yds is anti-climactic... LOL!

0BF50EFB-3F15-4899-8BFA-A0E87FCAA22E.jpeg

Last Edited:
I have a Leupold VX3i-LRP 6.5-20x50 with the Impact-60 MOA reticle (Horus style). Hitting out to 1000yds is anti-climactic...
I have a Vortex 6-25X Viper PST. My cartridge of choice offers around 68.0 grains of H-4831SC under a 180-grain MatchKing, p/n 2220. I get 3000 fps at the muzzle with this load. Should I be able to hit with maddening repetition at 1000 yards with this set-up?

I have a Vortex 6-25X Viper PST. My cartridge of choice offers around 68.0 grains of H-4831SC under a 180-grain MatchKing, p/n 2220. I get 3000 fps at the muzzle with this load. Should I be able to hit with maddening repetition at 1000 yards with this set-up?

That is very close to the hand rolled round that we shoot out of our 308's. Sierra Match King 175 grain and is about 2800 feet per second at the muzzle. Its a 1000 yard slayer.

Sierra Match King 175 grain and is about 2800 feet per second at the muzzle. Its a 1000-yard slayer.
I have never fired it beyond 500 yards. I have a 10" AR500 gong. Ten inches at 1000 yards is very close to 1 MOA. My rifle was a half-minute construction when it was a 300WSM; had a SAAMI chamber. It's now chambered in a long-action mildcat of my own design (.300 Nevada Desert Magnum), and the chamber has a total clearance of 0.001 inches around the neck. I have fired several groups in the .200 MOA range from 100 yards; best ever is 0.135 inches ctc from 100 yards. If I had any talent on the day I deign to do something noteworthy, I just might hit that gong from 1000 yards. I did find a place on GoogleEarth that offers a straight road, 900 yards long and way out where no one will come along all day and get in my way. My buds from Stockton are planning a day out there once it cools down a bit...

So here is a question for you Arizona guys. In another thread you mentioned getting mirage's and that it stops you from shooting long distance by a certain time of day. While I get that and it makes perfect sense. What do our boys in the middle east do? I mean the enemy doesn't stop and you must carry out your mission right? I mean there must be something that helps with this.

There are several Tricks a feller can use! 1) good Polarized Glasses should cut way down on this effect. 2) Wrap your barrel in burlap or other "fuzzy" light colored fabric! 3) Many Kill Flashes can cut this effect down some!
IF you just cannot clear it all up, you can still shoot 1/4 Min of Badguy, but that takes some scope doping to get it right!

Next time we go chootin, I can show you how to deal with it via the Dope!

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top