JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been spending a fair amount of my time lately trying to update a lot of my old SOPs and keep everything up to date. I thought I'd share some of what I've been working on.
I greatly appreciate feedback. A few quick notes: I'm in the desert southwest, surface water availability is essentially 0, depending where I am, if I'm not packing it, it's not available. I usually keep smartwater handy, the dimensions of the bottles are really handy, and they're stout enough not to crush or shatter like I've had with other bottles, you can also use them with a Sawyer mini if water does become available, I often carry a sawyer mini, but I frequently take it out when I think filtering water is not going to be a thing. I still have the ability to boil it if nothing else.

Summer Backpack List

This all rides in a 35L waterproof backpack, list is from bottom to top:
  • Pair of Pants
  • Mesh Laundry Bag (Socks, Shirts, Underwear 2Ea)
  • Hygiene Kit (Microfiber Towel, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Soap, Shampoo, nail clippers)
  • Light-Weight 40F sleeping Bag
  • Inflatable Seat (Klymit)
  • Inflatable Pillow (trekology)
  • Inflatable Air Mattress (Klymit Static V)
  • Bivvy Sack
  • Hammock
  • Paracord
  • Cook Bag (SPOON, Stove, Butane Canisters, Cup, 6-AAA batteries, Fire starter, Pump, Sewing Kit, Patch Kit)
  • Food Bag
  • Sht Kit (wipes, TP, small shovel, hand sanitizer)

Outside Pocket:
  • Military Poncho
  • Paracord (to rig shelter Tarp)

Side Pockets:

• 40oz Steel Water Bottles
  • 2x 1.5L SmartWater Bottles

Winter Backpack List

This loadout is still in development

Everything here rides in a LAPG 3-Day Backpack 2590 Cu-In (~42 Liters)

Main Compartment: (Bottom to Top)
  • Pair of BDU Pants
  • 40F sleeping bag (right now this is a big square bag could put a second bag inside?)
  • Klymit standard mat next to sleeping bag
  • Tact Bivvy (should replace this)
  • Arcturus Ground Cloth (against back)
  • Thermal Pouch (for re-heating dehydrated meals)
  • Hygiene Kit with Towel
  • UW/Socks/Shirt bag
  • Food Bag
  • Cook Bag (SPOON, Stove, Butane Canisters, Cup, 6-AAA batteries, Fire starter, Pump, Sewing Kit, Patch Kit)
  • 2x 1.5L SmartWater bottles
Bottom Outside Compartment: (Bottom to Top)
  • Booboo Kit
  • CW hats/Neck Gaiters
  • Poncho
  • Cordage
  • Bathroom Bag
Upper Outside Compartment:
  • Compass
Attached Molle Pouches or Stuff Sacks:
  • Canteen pouch with canteen and cup
  • GP Pouch with Gun Cleaning kit
  • CW Clothing Bag
  • Alps Mountaineering Extreme 2 Tent
  • Therm-a-Rest Sleeping Pad

Your list is almost as long as is the list for the stuff I take in my truck for my overnight runs. I'm driving a truck that might be used by another while I'm on my days off. I have to put everything in before I go and take everything out upon my return. Been doing it for almost four months. I was asked to come back in mid-September after having resigned three months before and then drive a few weeks for my original employer while my original manager got his FedEx Ground company off the ground. He's not entirely up and running, so I'm playing Musical Tractors until he becomes so. It's a genuine drag to pack all my krapp in and out with every run to which I'm assigned. I'm 65, stiff, sore and enjoy the pain of climbing in and out of the truck multiple times to move my stuff from my chariot to the tractor cab. I stay at FedEx because the commute is not a problem over the four lanes of I-80, and the pay is very good. Sometimes you have to swim a bit through some raw sewage to get to a satisfying reward.

Your list is almost as long as is the list for the stuff I take in my truck for my overnight runs.
About every year or two, I will often go on a solo trip across multiple states, usually by car. Once I went by bike. This is enough gear to keep me warm. I will usually have another bag with a few days of clothes, and another bag with my gun stuff (belt, mags, ammo, DOPE book, etc). The two ways I usually carry my stuff is in a backpack (as noted above) or in just a tote. By far if you've got some room to spread out keeping everything in a tote or footlocker is best. If you have to carry it very far, backpack is the winner.

Plano's Sportsmans Rolling Tote might be a good solution for ya.

Maybe also consider a camelback type water bladder that you can wear separately for light "recon" forays, that will also fix onto your backpack/rucksack when carrying. Also, USGI 2-quart canteens are good, and can be compressed as you consume the water so it doesn't make compromising "sloshy noise".

Water is life.

Maybe also consider a camelback type water bladder that you can wear separately for light "recon" forays, that will also fix onto your backpack/rucksack when carrying. Also, USGI 2-quart canteens are good, and can be compressed as you consume the water so it doesn't make compromising "sloshy noise".

Water is life.
Since these are "Ready"/BOB bags, I don't keep anything but waterbottles in them. Mostly because I don't want to come back and find the camelbak has leaked into my gear and everything has been wet for a month and mold has grown.

The other thing is, both my chest rig, and my plate carrier have hydration carriers attached. I prefer to keep the bulk of my "ready" water on my body.

I've never had a 2qt canteen that I used with any regularity. I've used canteen cup kits in the past, I prefer the 1qt nalgene "oasis" canteens, gives you a chance to see what grungies are growing inside your water bottle.

You may want to consider a couple of 55-gal contractor trash bags to use as a liner in the pack for waterproofing and anything else you may need barriers for. They are also handy to help keep air in the pack for water crossings inside and to keep the pack dry outside. Mother nature has a way of not following SOPs.

You may want to consider a couple of 55-gal contractor trash bags to use as a liner in the pack for waterproofing and anything else you may need barriers for. They are also handy to help keep air in the pack for water crossings inside and to keep the pack dry outside. Mother nature has a way of not following SOPs.
While I 100% agree that this is a good item. Water crossings in this part of the desert, outside of 1 rather obvious one, are a no-go. Just wait for that flash flood to work itself out.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top