JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Forty percent of America's gun owners have not received any formal firearms training, according to a new study from the University of Washington (UW) School of Public Health.

The study, published in the journal Injury Prevention, is the first of its kind in more than 20 years. In those two decades, "that number hasn't meaningfully changed at all," says Ali Rowhani-Rahbar, an associate professor of epidemiology at UW and the study's lead author. In 1994, two surveys found that about 56 to 58 percent of US gun owners had received formal firearms training. "Now that number stands at about 61 percent," says Rowhani-Rahbar. "It basically shows that, while training programs do exist—those that the NRA is running and that other gun advocacy groups are running—the reality is that they're not reaching a larger fraction of gun owners than they used to many years ago."

The study uses data from a nationally representative online survey of nearly 4,000 people. It found that among gun owners, men reported receiving more training (66 percent) than women (49 percent). People who purchased a gun for protection were far less likely to have received training (57 percent for handgun owners and 47 percent for long gun owners) than those who owned guns for hunting and sport shooting (approximately 68 percent). Training includes instruction on gun storage, safe handling, and preventing accidents.

Only 3 In 5 Gun Owners Have Received Firearms Training – Mother Jones

I'd guess that there most gun owners have received SOME kind of training. How many dads started their kids on bb guns prior to their 10th birthday? How many more had 22's in their hands before the age of 12? And still how many more were shooting higher caliber rifles and some pistols or revolvers before they were 16?

Of course, I'd guess some people want to prove some kind of point and can come up with a statistic that says anything they want it to! By calling to mind Sergeant York does that refute the statistic portrayed?

I guess the real point is whether or not there was training adequate to teach someone the proper handling, care and use of a weapon, not who did the training. There are certainly bad or inadequate so-called professional trainers, just as there are bad or inadequate politicians and even statisticians who create atmospheric situations that provide their slant.

4,000 people surveyed out of how many MILLIONS of gun owners by someone from the University of Washington! Think he may be trying to prove a point a bit too hard? Done by a guy who studies the spread of diseases? HMMMMMMM??

Only 3 in 5 of the owners they polled?
A .004% sample rate isn't quite enough to equal a single data point! LOL

A person with a different agenda could sure blow that out of the water by polling on any Military base.

Mother Jones is a progressive hack and anti-everything that made this nation great. I wouldn't take anything they said as fact. Just another 'Hillary will win by a land slide hack wanting to trash our Constitution. It should say A poll of selected Democrats......

Only 3 in 5 of the owners they polled?
A .004% sample rate isn't quite enough to equal a single data point! LOL

A person with a different agenda could sure blow that out of the water by polling on any Military base.

Add to that the fact that firearm-related polls are notoriously inaccurate.

Mother Jones is a progressive hack and anti-everything that made this nation great. I wouldn't take anything they said as fact. Just another 'Hillary will win by a land slide hack wanting to trash our Constitution. It should say A poll of selected Democrats......

I almost didn't post it due to the source, but I think it's important to see what others are saying about us.

I guess you wouldn't count your vacations were in a dear camp or duck blind when a small boy with your father. You wouldn't count that NRA safety course you took as a 12 year old at the local school you had to pass to get your first .22 rifle. You can't count the military training from the service you qualified as an expert. In no way would you count the years of weekends you spent out trying to put a piece of lead through a piece of paper anywhere from 7 feet to out over a mile. It seems as we are all a bunch of uneducated yahoos of accidents waiting to happen.

Lucky for me... ALL of my firearms are already trained!

The propaganda machine didn't mean for actual firearms owners/users to read their BS or even comment on it. It's purely for the low information voters and scared sheeple.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top