JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With Arizona having a constitutional carry law on the books where you can carry a concealed hand gun if it is legal for you to own a gun, people assume you don't need a Concealed Handgun License.
I went ahead and obtained one for the reciprocal benefits with other states.

I hadn't used my Arizona CHL for anything till the other day when I wanted to buy a small revolver and was expecting a long wait.
In Oregon, the wait time to clear the state background check is absurdly long. Weeks, even months for no good reason even if you have an Oregon concealed handgun license.

So I'm filling out electronic gun form at the local Tucson Sportsman's Warehouse and the clerk asks for ID.
I mention I have both an Arizona ID as well as a concealed hand gun license. He takes both and in 30 minutes I'm out the door!!!

While saving sales tax in Oregon is compelling, the wait time is infuriating.
At least now I know if I absolutely positively want a new gun right away, I'll shop in Arizona.

I'm able to make this work because I have an Oregon driver's license and an Arizona Permanent ID.
Oregon doesn't care if I have another ID as long as it isn't a driver's license.
Arizona however doesn't allow you to have an Arizona drivers license and another's state's ID or so the Arizona DMV clerk says.
I'm not sure how they would know?
Weird but I make it work and being able to buy guns in both places was my primary goal.

How long is the wait for background check where you live?

How long is the wait for background check where you live?
Usually no more than ten to fifteen minutes in Nevada. Would be longer if it's a national holiday that also has a sale attached to it. I've never had to "wait very long" when purchasing from a Scheels or a Sportsman's Warehouse in Nevada. Just one of the several reasons I dearly love my State. Things can only get better once we boot Sucksalot out of the Governor's office...

Usually no more than ten to fifteen minutes in Nevada. Would be longer if it's a national holiday that also has a sale attached to it. I've never had to "wait very long" when purchasing from a Scheels or a Sportsman's Warehouse in Nevada. Just one of the several reasons I dearly love my State. Things can only get better once we boot Sucksalot out of the Governor's office...
I remember at the peak of the panic, it was taking like 4 days for an "instant background check". Pretty much every gunshop you went into, everyone was on hold with the state office waiting to run BGCs.

I like having the AZ Concealed Weapons Permit because training is required and anyone who sees the permit knows I have trained. Of course, I also took a basic handgun class at Shooter's World.
Check wait time has been minutes at a gun shop as well as with my FFL person.

Tom

I like having the AZ Concealed Weapons Permit because training is required and anyone who sees the permit knows I have trained. Of course, I also took a basic handgun class at Shooter's World.

Tom
There's 'training' required with a ccw?
Maybe years ago when the course took 16 hours to complete

Tom
4 hrs of classroom isn't training and it's not like the old days

We had 8 hours of learning, mainly regarding AZ laws and gun safety.
Then, we went to a range and proved we know how to handle and fire our pistols.
The trainer was retired LEO.

If you ever have to defend yourself in court, you are looked upon as a "more" law abiding citizen and have had the training. I would also recommend CCW insurance. I have had it for 8 years. There are plenty of horror stories of people defending themselves now finding they have to defend their freedom.
I would rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top