JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This October 2020 was my oryx hunt..
38" bull shot at 230 pm 30.06 180 gr at 104 yrds....super super fun hunt...gotta love NM hunting

20201206_123417.jpg 20201023_145727.jpg 20201023_145657.jpg 20201024_104146.jpg 20201024_125540.jpg 20201024_141406.jpg 20201024_165426.jpg

A dandy trophy, to be sure. I was at the local Mickey D's several weeks ago and a pickup was parked outside with a huge rack of elk antlers in the bed. I took the attached pictures with my cellphone. I don't know squat about elk, but even a fool like me knew this one was special. The young man whom had shot it with a .300WinMag from 850 yards showed me pictures of the antlers, setting on their side. They were as tall as was he, and he was at least 6' 6" or so. The father of the young man estimated the standing elk was 1100 pounds or so. The antlers have something like ten or twelve points, with a few broken-off in fights. The pictures may not lend themselves well to the size of the beast. Those of you who know elk can inform those of us who know nothing about them as to how much of a trophy is this animal.

antlers01.JPG

antlers02.JPG

antlers03.JPG

antlers04.JPG

antlers05.JPG

antlers06.JPG

A dandy trophy, to be sure. I was at the local Mickey D's several weeks ago and a pickup was parked outside with a huge rack of elk antlers in the bed. I took the attached pictures with my cellphone. I don't know squat about elk, but even a fool like me knew this one was special. The young man whom had shot it with a .300WinMag from 850 yards showed me pictures of the antlers, setting on their side. They were as tall as was he, and he was at least 6' 6" or so. The father of the young man estimated the standing elk was 1100 pounds or so. The antlers have something like ten or twelve points, with a few broken-off in fights. The pictures may not lend themselves well to the size of the beast. Those of you who know elk can inform those of us who know nothing about them as to how much of a trophy is this animal.
Thank you, I'm not skilled in how you judge trophy but he looks pretty big so nice rack and blessed with a bunch of high quality organic grass fed meat so that's all i know...but definitely a big boy nice pics

OK, so what's an oryx? Anything like an aurochs? Or goat/antelope... Was this a wild hunt or a ranch hunt? Those horns are huge... Don't think I'd want one of those mad at me...

Last Edited:
OK, so what's an oryx? Anything like an aurochs? Was this a wild hunt or a ranch hunt? Those horns are huge... Don't think I'd want one of those mad at me...
Its an african big game animal (gemsbok) related to antelope species brought to White Sands Missle range in the 1950s i think but on Range its a once in a lifetime draw hunt...but they done so well they have off range hunts also...theres stories of ppl seeing yhem with mountain lions impaled on there horns

Its an african big game animal (gemsbok) related to antelope species brought to White Sands Missle range in the 1950s i think but on Range its a once in a lifetime draw hunt...but they done so well they have off range hunts also...theres stories of ppl seeing yhem with mountain lions impaled on there horns
Thanks- I had briefly mixed "oryx" up with "aurochs", the extinct (but being brought back by recombinate-DNA work) ancestor of modern cattle.. Congratulations on a fine looking animal, may you eat well! The gemsbok is prized on Afrikan hunts, I know.. Congrats also on getting it done with a .30-06, a lot of guys might have gone off with a .300 winmag, .338, or larger.. All things considered you seem justifiably confident in the -06.. I'm impressed.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top