JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lesters.jpeg

S u b R o s a

LOL!
Used to buy up all the Peters, and Western Field we could get our hands on, especially when the Starlings started to show up!
Little bastages can ruin a berry crop in a day!
Both brands were known to have "Duds" every now and then, made for good failure drill before we even knew what that was!

Years ago I saw a dude shooting reloads in his brand new Springfield XDM-- One shell musta had a double charge, cause it blew the loaded cartridge indicator off the gun & into his forehead--lots of bleeding & to add insult to injury Springfield refused to warranty the gun

I have heard many similar stories about using Winchester white box ammo, so I only use better quality ammo myself

Considering all the gas, time, and everything else. Ammo is one of the cheapest things when it comes to going to the range.

You aren't shooting enough rounds then! LOL

I've probably spent an average of 4x the cost of each weapon - on ammo that's gone down range through each weapon....with the exception of my rim fire guns.

I reload everything I shoot. I do not shoot .22LR ammo; the ignition is just too inconsistent to bother with the stuff. Because I reload everything and time is so valuable, I do not shoot much. I last shot my $9,000 target rifle on April 1, 2018. Short of a few test rounds on May 1, 2019 (I got sunburned atop my balding pate), I last shot my $4,500 hunting rifle on that same April date. I shoot a bit of .223 ammo, but I'm not one to rip through 500 rounds of it at a sitting. A big day of .223 ammo might be fifty rounds...

Considering all the gas, time and everything else, ammo is one of the cheapest things when it comes to going to the range.
Got two buds coming from Stockton, CA on Sunday (June 23) to shoot 600 yards out in the desert, about four miles from my house. They can only shoot 200 yards at their home range, so they're gearing-up to drive over 400 miles round-trip to shoot in the Nevada desert. Going to take about seven hours of driving in total. Probably over an hour to set-up the targets. The weather looks to be very good this weekend, with temps in the lower 70s and minimal winds. Where we will go is usually never inhabited by others, so we're looking for a grand time out there. The lead will fly, as well as will the bullschumer as to how good a shot we all happen to be. The targets will tell the real story, and the bigmouth BSers will be so branded...

You aren't shooting enough rounds then! LOL

I've probably spent an average of 4x the cost of each weapon - on ammo that's gone down range through each weapon....with the exception of my rim fire guns.

I'm very much about skills practiced and fun had vs rounds downrange. During a round of rifle golf, usually you are going to shoot 5 rounds, provided you didn't hit the target on the first shot, but up to 5 shots. Full course is 4 holes, so you could shoot as few as 4 rounds per day.

One of the rules for rifle golf: No second shot, mulligans are at the group's discretion. Because if you miss, it's pretty easy to correct and get on the steel with the second shot, what's the fun in that? Oh yea, don't forget to pack your walking shoes, I try to make sure each course is a full mile of walking.

Action shooting, we started doing 10rd mag limits (only 10 rounds in the mag, regardless of size) to reduce screwing around with forcing reloads. I also don't use dump boxes, you need to retain your guns with mags and holsters, that's why we wear them.

These were some of the set ups we had, I didn't take a lot of photos when we did these shoots, as we were mostly shooting in the dark, and my camera didn't do good low-light. But usually we would do about 180deg or so of shooting and movement. You can see the surveyor's tape, that's the firing line. usually you would start on the far end (furthest away from the ball-torture rig) shoot down-range, then run up (I would have cones set up with glowsticks in side) shoot the targets, then move on. Ball torture was something that was pistol only as the rifle rounds just didn't move the balls enough to be noticeable.

We usually got 10 people or so on a saturday night, and we would run usually 3-4 scenarios every night between carbine, shotgun, and pistol, usually involving some combination of the 3.

20170722_202109.jpg

20170722_202134.jpg

20170722_202147.jpg

20170722_202150.jpg

Looks like fun!
I typed that after reading the other thread where you said all the shooting you did. I fully expected to catch some hell for it. You are a good sport!

Hey man, I can roast people all day, I'd rather roast them about getting pwned than roast them ahead of time and then have them never show up. I'm going to be traveling for the next week, if there's enough interest I'll finish formalizing some of the rulesets. I've kinda been building some of my stuff off the ACM style matches, but there's a number of things I just want to avoid (drop boxes, pickups, etc).

$9000 rifle not fired in months? That's like leaving the Ferrari in the garage for over half a year...
I'm frugal, not cheap - I cast my own bullets, powder coat them, and load my own ammo. I somehow fall into good deals on components sometimes, so I am currently loading 9mm for the cost of the electricity to run the lights. In reference to the poor unfortunate soul with the damaged Springfield, when you use reloads, the warranty is gone -read the manual. Second, when I am loading, I take my time and every charged case is visually verified by me. Double charges are easy to see compared to normal charges.
All of my guns together wouldn't add up to $9000, but I make the time to go shooting once a week, and I have fun doing it.

Got two buds coming from Stockton, CA on Sunday (June 23) to shoot 600 yards out in the desert, about four miles from my house.
They came up and we had one hellsinki of a time. They were amazed that so much open land was just laying there, with nobody on it. No fences. No fees. No gates. No RSOs. No restrictions on how many seconds between rounds. No hours of operation. No Cold Range slowdowns. No rules. Any "rules" in place were those we created at the moment we needed a rule. After the need expired, that "rule" was forever forgotten. We were out there almost six hours, and nobody else came along. The weather was very good for shooting. They bought lunch (wrap sandwiches) at a grocery store before we went out, and I had plenty of very cold Powerade to wash it down. It was, by any estimation, a bang-up time.

I'm on GoogleEarth right now looking for places in the desert to shoot to even longer ranges. Found a nice 675-yarder about 30 miles from where I live, and a 900-yarder about six miles from where I live. Both places are way out in the desert, so it's a high expectation that nobody will come along to get in the way of our bullets...

New Resource Reviews

Back Top