Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Old black powder dangerous?

Reactions
I have some possible 50 years old.Am I setting on a bomb ? ?I fired a few loads about 10 years ago and had no problems but...

Reactions
I had some Powder that My Grand Dad had put in storage in 1941 and forgot all about it! I found it last summer and it was still as good as the day it was put away!

How much of it do you have?
It can be disposed of super easy, fill the container with Water and let it sit for a few min, then pour it out in the flower beds around the edges!

Or, make a nice long thin line of if and carefully set it off, careful, it will flash off a lot more vigorously then Smokeless!

OP
W
Reactions
If stored in a cool , (under 90 degree) , dry place black powder does not deteriorate. I know of 75 year old powder that still shoots fine. Most of the old black powder just shoots a little dirtier than new black powder. If you know it’s storage history , you should not have any problem.

Reactions
From the EOD side, black powder never expires, it is hygroscopic but when it dries back out it is still VERY functional. Civil War munitions go off all the time after they are dug up and mishandled. Properly stored as others here have stated, No Problems.

Reactions
Thank you,never pays to be cautious
I'm not sure you meant what you wrote...

LOL!

Load er up an light er off!!!

But do come back and let us know how it all worked out!!

Hahaha!

If it's black powder, it'll be ok. It's not clumped is it?
If it got wet, maybe try it in slightly reduced load. After being wet and drying out, an increase in velocity will be noted...

Make sure you aren't talking about Pyrodex...
Not sure that would still be good...

LATEST REVIEWS

• Arizona Firearms - Tempe
    5.00 star(s)
    I went there today to pick up a firearm and had a very good experience. I will shop there again.
    • MadDuner
    5.00 star(s)
    Every time I go in there I leave with what I needed and without feeling like my wallet was raped.
    • Mrjenkins
    5.00 star(s)
    Anyone in Phoenix area should check out Arizona Firearms on University and Priest. They have a big selection of firearms and have great prices.
    • JonathanB
  • Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    When I go in I usually will watch and listen to employees before I choose which one to talk to. The good employees are great to talk with. The...
    • Gunsandgars
  • Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    4.00 star(s)
    I have purchased new and used from them. I was lucky a while back and they had a Armalite AR10A with a lot of accessories that I just had to have...
    • Belevolk