Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Old 1911 grips HELP

Reactions
Okay. So first off I'll admit my own stupidity of mangling these bushings so badly. I want to keep these grips and would feel wasteful if I were to trash them. My other 1911 needs grips and I have these. I have no idea how the bushings were so locked up onto the screws. But would a drill help me here? I really want to save these grips.

20190629_141340.jpg

20190629_141327.jpg

Reactions
Going to be tough to get those screws out with out damage!
Best bet is to take the Allen key and use it to hold the screw and from the back side, grind in the screws so you can then drill! One or two look like you can grab them with vice grips, that might save some effort! Best of luck!

OP
Mrjenkins
Reactions
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking too. I have had these in a drawer for months thinking about the easiest way to remove them. Those grips were on my para expert and were locked up like that from the factory.

OP
Mrjenkins
Reactions
Well I got them off. Really wasn't that bad except my hand hurts. I used a dremel with a little drill bit. And drilled through the head and lightly wobbled the drill bit on super high speed. Taking breaks to let it cool. The grip screw heads just popped off with a mini wrench. Glad I could salvage them. I don't like throwing my gun stuff away.

20190705_165710.jpg

20190705_165710.jpg

UPCOMING EVENTS

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Arizona State Fairgrounds
1826 W McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85007, USA
Reno Convention Center
4590 S Virginia St, Reno, NV 89502, USA
The Pavilions
475 S Grand Central Pkwy, Las Vegas, NV 89106, USA

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    When I go in I usually will watch and listen to employees before I choose which one to talk to...
    • Gunsandgars
  • Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    4.00 star(s)
    I have purchased new and used from them. I was lucky a while back and they had a Armalite AR10A...
    • Belevolk
  • Bruno Shooter Supply
    5.00 star(s)
    Not really a gun store per se, although they do have a couple rifles there for sale, but Bruno...
    • wildcat455
  • Ammo AZ
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place,awesome staff and customer service. Have personally done business with them numerous...
    • Tecj68
  • AJI Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    I have purchased a couple of firearms from AJI. They have a good balance of tactical and other...
    • 1971Chevelle