JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates

Upcoming Dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Denver

This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates
Sounds like my requirements, except I always come home with one mag full. Are you referring going to Pima Gun Club? Some of my long guns I feel are to dangerous for out in the boonies. My .308's and my cannon the Shiloh .45-70 do a lot better on the range, in my opinion.

I live Freeway and Cortaro Farms ish. With a bit of notice I could drive over your neck of the woods. I am not familiar with desert shooting in your neck of the woods.

Why would a 308 or a 45-70 be to dangerous to shoot out in the desert ?
I do it all the time. I do all my shooting in the desert.
I have not been to a range since I was in the service and that was 35 years ago.
I have no desire whatsoever to go to a range.

Haha. Yeah i do tend to enjoy wilderness shooting more than ranges. In Oregon and Washington it was always forest public land shooting for my mother and I. Although @RidgebackM if there was a range like the one I qual'd on, with pop up targets and foxholes and all, i'd be mighty tempted

My plan this time was to go to the Lions' club range in Mammoth. It's a 100 yard range, a few covered bays and a few uncovered, shooting benches and stools, and setup tables behind the line. It's often empty, or few people. it's not a policed range, so on your honor to follow the rules and, best of all, it's free.

I would prefer desert shooting, especially if there's something longer distance, but have only visited this area and not explored enough to know where to go for that.

Why would a 308 or a 45-70 be to dangerous to shoot out in the desert ?
I do it all the time. I do all my shooting in the desert.
I have not been to a range since I was in the service and that was 35 years ago.
I have no desire whatsoever to go to a range.

I've all but stopped going to controlled rifle ranges for several reasons.
First, outside of a daily fee (which aren't too bad) a family or individual yearly membership is expensive.
Second, there are too many inconsiderate people who fail to coordinate with the other shooters who many need to go downrange, and then those who get downrange and lollygag while others are trying to take care of business.
Third, there are slobs that fail to pick up after themselves, electing to leave their soda cans or empty ammo boxes laying on their bench or around it on the ground.
Slobs!
So I go to the desert, find a safe place with a substantial backstop and fields of view for safety's sake, plink, clean up after myself and head home when I'm done.
What's not to like?!?
Outside of my gas to get wherever, a sack lunch and my ammo the cost is negligible.
Just my $0.02 on the subject.

There used to be a place out by where where I live on Avra Valley but it's closed now . Some guy has his bees there and that killed our target practicing . Too bad I was just getting the lead down for them .

Are you referring to the area to the south of Avra Valley just shy of the Silverbell mine/mountains or Waterman mountain range?
If so, that was closed due to slobs and the fact the area was enclosed by the state as part of a national forest.
Otherwise, if that's not it, what area were you suggesting?

Go out Avra Valley to Pipeline and hang a right . About a mile down Pipeline on the left . Marana PD used to shoot there too but it's closed now and there are bee hives there . That's all I know .

Ah, so. Copy that. I've lived out in the area for going on 30 years and I, too, used to shoot there. On either side of the hill, actually.
That is IF you are referring to the hill that is at the part of the road that requires drivers to swing wide to go around its base.
Once the government changed the area designation they closed that area off. Everything on the west side of the dirt road.
It wasn't a long range area but perfect for practicing with handguns or even sighting in a rifle or two.
"Technically," the way the law was written, you can't go out to that area any more to do any "plinking" but as long as you have a Hunting or Fishing license (go figure on the fishing license) you CAN shoot for the purposes of sighting in a gun in preparation to go "hunting."
And since "hunting" IS legal in that area and since "target practice in preparation to go hunting" IS an integral part of the act of hunting, the court affirmed that, YES, you CAN "Target Practice" in that area. But you danged sure better be able to articulate what you are doing should one of the Cactus Cops shows up.
I wish I could tell you the dates when a man was taken to task for practicing in that area after it was made off limits. The case actually made the papers in Tucson discussing the court case and the courts decision.
If you are well versed on doing some internet research I'm sure you could find the information with a bit of work.
Whether or not the ruling still stands I cannot say, though. It's been a LOT of years ago. Maybe 15 or 20 in fact IIRC.
What that boils down to is you CAN do some target shooting WITH a license on your person with the purpose of prepping for, say, deer hunting come fall.
Or for a HAM hunt for Javelina when the season opens to practice with a handgun.
OR, you COULD be out there hunting rabbits. Or crickets for a other example.
I don't mean to sound flippant about the whole thing but you have to be creative if you, as a hunter/shooter, want to be able to exercise your rights to hunt or shoot these days.
Take care and good luck.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top