Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up today!

North of Tucson

Reactions
Sounds like my requirements, except I always come home with one mag full. Are you referring going to Pima Gun Club? Some of my long guns I feel are to dangerous for out in the boonies. My .308's and my cannon the Shiloh .45-70 do a lot better on the range, in my opinion.

I live Freeway and Cortaro Farms ish. With a bit of notice I could drive over your neck of the woods. I am not familiar with desert shooting in your neck of the woods.

Reactions
Why would a 308 or a 45-70 be to dangerous to shoot out in the desert ?
I do it all the time. I do all my shooting in the desert.
I have not been to a range since I was in the service and that was 35 years ago.
I have no desire whatsoever to go to a range.

OP
mikemenzie
Reactions
Haha. Yeah i do tend to enjoy wilderness shooting more than ranges. In Oregon and Washington it was always forest public land shooting for my mother and I. Although @RidgebackM if there was a range like the one I qual'd on, with pop up targets and foxholes and all, i'd be mighty tempted

My plan this time was to go to the Lions' club range in Mammoth. It's a 100 yard range, a few covered bays and a few uncovered, shooting benches and stools, and setup tables behind the line. It's often empty, or few people. it's not a policed range, so on your honor to follow the rules and, best of all, it's free.

I would prefer desert shooting, especially if there's something longer distance, but have only visited this area and not explored enough to know where to go for that.

Reactions
Why would a 308 or a 45-70 be to dangerous to shoot out in the desert ?
I do it all the time. I do all my shooting in the desert.
I have not been to a range since I was in the service and that was 35 years ago.
I have no desire whatsoever to go to a range.
I've all but stopped going to controlled rifle ranges for several reasons.
First, outside of a daily fee (which aren't too bad) a family or individual yearly membership is expensive.
Second, there are too many inconsiderate people who fail to coordinate with the other shooters who many need to go downrange, and then those who get downrange and lollygag while others are trying to take care of business.
Third, there are slobs that fail to pick up after themselves, electing to leave their soda cans or empty ammo boxes laying on their bench or around it on the ground.
Slobs!
So I go to the desert, find a safe place with a substantial backstop and fields of view for safety's sake, plink, clean up after myself and head home when I'm done.
What's not to like?!?
Outside of my gas to get wherever, a sack lunch and my ammo the cost is negligible.
Just my $0.02 on the subject.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Big Sandy Shoot
Northwestern Arizona
Wikieup, AZ 85360, USA

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS