JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all.
Just a small introduction, I am from the UK but I will be moving to St George area in about 8 months or so. Looking to get back into shooting sports as in the UK we are no longer allowed to have handguns when I arrive in Utah . Before the ban came in the late 80s/early 90s I was in my 20s and learnt to shoot using a S&W 586 357 mag and a Beretta 92 9mm. Im hoping to get back into it once again ,my interest is more in revolvers that semi autos to be honest. Not having shot anything bigger than a Black powder 36 Navy Colt a few years back im just looking for help for good Gun smiths/Stores and a good range in St George.
Many thanks in advance NJ :)

Grab the Yellow Pages when you get here; you'll find plenty of places. I'm no expert, but is it not a requirement that a firearms buyer be a US citizen? Or maybe as little as having a green card? See if you cannot find on-line the Form 4473; this is the form you fill-out for buying a gun from a dealer in America. At the least I think you have to be a resident of the State in which you will buy your firearm. The gunshop will fill you in on everything you need to know for a purchase. Do not be shocked into a momentary lapse of speech if you can buy, pay and walk out with it. Immediate departure from the store happens in Free States. I'm so happy for you that you are not moving to Kalifonia. There's no Liberty there...

Welcome aboard!
As far as Purchasing, YOU MUST have a Resident Alien Card, (basically a "Green Card") and proof of residence for at least the last 6 months before you are able to purchase firearms! Then you go through the standard Form 4473 and all should be well! Make sure to have your Resident Alien card and residency proof, usually a few bills with your address on them is enough, NOTE, a Cell phone bill will NOT pass muster, so you need things like a electric bill, water sewer, garbage collection, property taxes, things that basically show permanency! It also helps if you have a work visa in addition to the above!

This is only my experiences, I am no lawyer, always best to do your due diligence and consult with your local Sheriff's office or constabulary in your Area!

Just a side note the purchase of hand guns requires in state residence, Shot guns and rifles do not based on my notes,
I don't know if that changed during the "Fix NICS" bill passage a couple of years ago

Just a side note: The purchase of handguns requires in-state residence; shot guns and rifles do not, based on my notes...
Rifles may not. I'm remembering a Chinese student at Virginia Tech (my alma mater) who found himself in some sort of bullschumer trouble because he had 700 rounds of ammo in his dorm room or some such place. His AR-type rifle was secured where the University says they must be. That's about all I remember without doing a websearch, and I'm just not too revved-up to do it. I thought it unusual for a Chinese national to own a weapon in the US, but apparently it's possible. Probably goes back to Ura-Ki's reference to the Green Card.

Last Edited:
As stater "Geen Card" is required or Special Permission from the State Department (We had to get special permission for one of the troopers we hired once). Once issued, handguns in your state of residence, and long guns almost anywhere else in the US. It will be much easier for you then when they had to give me a permit for the UK for the work we were doing.
Starting with an S&W 586 is possibly one of the most accurate out there well done.
Welcome and here is a photo of a patch you need to get for the July 4th celebrations.

Treason Day.jpg

If you don't know or haven't already checked.

Dude.....you're gonna be living in St George, UT. It's the home of a huge SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) chapter out that a ways. Get into some "cowboy guns." Anyway, Happy Trails.....

SASS: SASS Wire Forum

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
You should be here dam-ned soon. Your first post was September 4, 2019. You said you'd be here in about eight months. That's right about now. Please check-in when you get to St. George.

You should be here dam-ned soon. Your first post was September 4, 2019. You said you'd be here in about eight months. That's right about now. Please check-in when you get to St. George.
[/QUOTE]
I wish I were my friend,things have sadly taken a lot longer than I planned . All being well I should be in St George by the end of this year. :(

… … I should be in St. George by the end of this year.
Oh, man! That's eight more months. If God is good, there will be plenty of handgun ammo on the shelves by then. You ought to be good an' ready to sling some big bullets from some big holes in a big piece of finely-machined and deeply-blued steel. Getting here by around Christmas will be a great Yuletide gift for you. Hope your immediate family is coming, too. We'll see you then...

Oh, man! That's eight more months. If God is good, there will be plenty of handgun ammo on the shelves by then. You ought to be good an' ready to sling some big bullets from some big holes in a big piece of finely-machined and deeply-blued steel. Getting here by around Christmas will be a great Yuletide gift for you. Hope your immediate family is coming, too. We'll see you then...
Thank you nvshooter .The joys of the visa process and the virus have put everything on a very slow track, but all being well ill be there by Nov/Dec.

St George is a bustling city, full of people. My favorite is Hurricane, a retirement community for sure. You are moving into an area that has a huge scenic draw. The State and Federal parks near there are definitely worth the effort to visit.
The one thing I noticed when I was in Utah was the wind was always blowing.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top