JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello members,

I am a new transplant to Tucson on a job contract. While I still leave in the Pacific Northwest, I will be working at a local hospital in Tucson a few days each month.

Looking forward to exploring the area whether on my dirtbike or finding new places to target practice outdoors

. . . finding new places to target practice outdoors.
I hope you can find a place to shoot where you'll not have to wait too long before you get to set-up your stuff, and where no one comes along and says you'll have to get off his land. Based upon what I read in these pages, places to shoot are becoming scarce around Arizona cities with appreciable populations. I'm up in rural Nevada. Probably the best place in the USA to shoot other than the boonies in Alaska. Someone from North Dakota may have a different opinion. That's OK; I've got my places just a very few miles away.

I hope you can find a place to shoot where you'll not have to wait too long before you get to set-up your stuff, and where no one comes along and says you'll have to get off his land. Based upon what I read in these pages, places to shoot are becoming scarce around Arizona cities with appreciable populations. I'm up in rural Nevada. Probably the best place in the USA to shoot other than the boonies in Alaska. Someone from North Dakota may have a different opinion. That's OK; I've got my places just a very few miles away.
Hi NVshooter, I'll be the first to admit there's no place like NV for outdoor shooting. I grew up in CA and spent most of my childhood visiting places along HWY-395 in your state.

I've heard of a few places that are accessible by dirtbike that I am looking forward to exploring

. . . there's no place like NV for outdoor shooting.
I first saw the wide-open spaces of Nevada in Fall of 2000. I'm a trucker and came from Virginia on a run out to Sparks. I saw the endless desert and knew I had to move here if I was ever going to shoot more than a hundred yards on the land of a fine gentleman who had 100 acres smack up against a golf course. So I saved my money and moved to Elko in Fall 2002. The price of gold fell such that I lost my job and had to go back to Virginia. As I drove up the eastbound on-ramp on I-80, I promised myself I'd be back and when I did, I'd get a job in Reno or Sparks where there are many more jobs for truckers than just jobs hauling quicklime into the gold mines. I returned to Nevada exactly two years to the date since I'd left, and about 250 miles closer to Reno than is Elko. I've been here ever since and never want to go back to crowded Virginia. We have 300-some days a year of sun and for a fat slob like me, very low humidity. I used to sweat like a hog in the humid summers of Virginia around Winchester. Not a problem, here. No State income tax, either. Speed limit on I-80 is 80 mph out in the wastelands. I've never been happier in any other place I've lived since the late 1960s.

In the beginning you will find it is best to shoot at the ranges. There is a lot of public land around but you can not openly shoot on it, targets. A hunting permit allow shooting but not targets. I travel >1 hour to out near Benson to get away from people. Going north (freeway) is a poor idea as there are way to many developments.

Still pretty hot to be shooting exept in the early mornings.

I am in Maricopa AZ. Our range on BLM land has been closed,I assume permanently due to development nearby. It was only a matter of time as the trigger pigs were shooting TV's, monitors, etc and leaving garbage everywhere. Matteres's, pallets, you name it. We had 2 different organized cleanups in which we picked up 2 huge dumpsters each time. Makes me sick to see this crap from the shooting community. There were lots of good guys as well. We had over 30 volunteers for the first cleanup, less for the second. I use the range at Casa Grande now but its real busy. Places to shoot were plentiful 30 yr ago, now not so much.

Belevolk speaks words of wisdom.
Outdoor areas are quickly becoming private or it seems to me. That and it also appears there isn't much available BLM land around Tucson. What's around Phoenix is getting "corralled" as they provide some services but restrict most of the land.
Some of the lucky ones here with foresight and resources have purchased land for shooting and possibly hunting.

So...
Go to the ranges initially and go early. That lets you get your feet in the pool and a cold adult beverage in your hand in the afternoon.

There's a fun place to shoot in Tucson Mountain Park. The range is well run, open Fri, Sat, and Sunday. Nice drive to and from from wherever you will be.

Get there early and then you have a few hours to enjoy before they close. $6 and they have facilities.
The ROs are friendly and helpful. I do appreciate their friendly approach to guiding people who may not be familiar with firearms or range rules.
I'm always meeting nice people there. Scenery is a bonus. 12 lanes that are 5-100 yards long. I like staying on the same bench for pistols and rifles.
If you shoot steel cased ammo, they have a magnet on wheels that feeds like a whale on steel cases. Makes cleanup fun if that is possible.

The Hub gun store has 2 lanes indoor. Go there just to "absorb" the experience. Great staff.

For long range, I plan to join Tucson Rifle Club next year. they have a a $100 per household membership fee that is reasonable for what they offer.
Shooting out to 1000 yds.

You can read about some of these places on the Resources tab next to the classifieds.
Find a place you like that isn't listed? You have permission to add it to the list.

Welcome to the Forum!

Last Edited:
Belevolk speaks words of wisdom.
Outdoor areas are quickly becoming private or it seems to me. That and it also appears there isn't much available BLM land around Tucson. What's around Phoenix is getting "corralled" as they provide some services but restrict most of the land.
Some of the lucky ones here with foresight and resources have purchased land for shooting and possibly hunting.

So...
Go to the ranges initially and go early. That lets you get your feet in the pool and a cold adult beverage in your hand in the afternoon.

There's a fun place to shoot in Tucson Mountain Park. The range is well run, open Fri, Sat, and Sunday. Nice drive to and from from wherever you will be.

Get there early and then you have a few hours to enjoy before they close. $6 and they have facilities.
The ROs are friendly and helpful. I do appreciate their friendly approach to guiding people who may not be familiar with firearms or range rules.
I'm always meeting nice people there. Scenery is a bonus. 12 lanes that are 5-100 yards long. I like staying on the same bench for pistols and rifles.
If you shoot steel cased ammo, they have a magnet on wheels that feeds like a whale on steel cases. Makes cleanup fun if that is possible.

The Hub gun store has 2 lanes indoor. Go there just to "absorb" the experience. Great staff.

For long range, I plan to join Tucson Rifle Club next year. they have a a $100 per household membership fee that is reasonable for what they offer.
Shooting out to 1000 yds.

You can read about some of these places on the Resources tab next to the classifieds.
Find a place you like that isn't listed? You have permission to add it to the list.

Welcome to the Forum!
There is a lot of AZ Trust Lands in Arizona.

There are miles and miles of land around Tucson you can shoot on.
Both BLM and Forest land , not to mention the private land.
I have been here well over 60 years and have never shot at a public range.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top