need help with air gun choice

Discussion in 'Air Rifle & Pistol Discussion' started by prkrgrp, Mar 5, 2012.

1. prkrgrp

prkrgrp
    ore.

want to get an air gun that will knock down a coyote 50 to 100 yds.

2. CFletch

CFletch
    California

That would be some airgun. I've got a Chinese monster-rifle that can put a .177 pellet through a wall, but I wouldn't trust it on a coyote. To me, something more powerful is in order in this case. Maybe a Mosin Nagant (for about the same price as a good airgun)? I would be interested in hearing your reasons for wanting to use an airgun for this.

Have you considered a crossbow? They have the range and the power, although I'd still want a firearm (at least pistol) just in case and to humanely finish off a wounded animal.

Joe Link likes this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner
    Gone

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner
    Gone

So, which way did you go?? Or, did you just decide to forget the idea altogether?

5. Belevolk

Belevolk
    Southern Arizona

Joe Link likes this.
  6. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

That's the crazy thing I found out too. I was all excited to hear you could get larger air guns, not so much when I found out how loud they are :(

7. jsparky747

jsparky747
    Nowhere near the Southwest

I use a Gamo Silent Cat and have had good luck. Punched holes through rabbit heads many times before. Another good option is the Hatsan 135QE. Shoots a .30 cal at 550 fps. There are 2 main air rifle features that put animals on the dirt; power and speed. A .177 pellet going 1200 fps will knock out a yote easy, but so will a .30 pellet going 550. Get an accurate one too. You want accuracy so you can put a pellet to the bottom or left or bottom right of the ear, depending on the side. As for the power plant, it depends. A break barrel will put animals on the ground but will be a little louder and will lose velocity faster. A PCP airgun will put animals on the ground, be quieter, and lose velocity faster but you have to haul around a air tank if you want to do lots of shooting.

8. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

Damn I didn't realize they made .30 cal airguns.