JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Out of the list what press do you use?

• Dillon XL-650

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dillon Super 1050

• Hornady Lock-N-Load AP

• RCBS Pro-2000

• Total voters
Most of the .44 I shoot I purchase in bulk in quantities of 1,000 or more. I haven't found the higher priced bullets to perform any better or more accurately in this caliber. Remington has a very good .44 JSP and JHP I shoot quite a bit of. If you purchase them in bulk, the cost of these bullets per 100 can be less than half of what they charge for 100 of the premium bullets from Hornady and the like. There is nothing wrong with these higher priced premimum bullets mind you, it's just that for my type of shooting, I can't really justify the cost.

Dillon 550B, RC4 (RC Supreme II), Redding T-7

In .44 Mag, the FTX might be a decent bullet. However... driving it any faster (such as .444 Marlin - something Hornady thinks it is capable of), results in unpredictable, explosive expansion.

Like bilit, I too have an old Dillon 450 and Square Deal set up for .45 acp. Also have the great Lee Classic Cast iron press, which I use mainly for for reducing way over size cast boolits,( like .324" tdown o .315") as my old #45 LS can't handle such.

That is the beauty of cast boolits, bore sizes don't matter, for there is always a way to get a particular cast boolit sized to fit the bore.

Dillon 550B, RC4 (RC Supreme II), Redding T-7

In .44 Mag, the FTX might be a decent bullet. However... driving it any faster (such as .444 Marlin - something Hornady thinks it is capable of), results in unpredictable, explosive expansion.

I found your site most interesting and you have some great ideas brought to fruition.

Thanks for sharing.

These are a few of my presses.

LoadingBench2.jpg

LoadingBench1.jpg

Like bilit, I too have an old Dillon 450 and Square Deal set up for .45 acp. Also have the great Lee Classic Cast iron press, which I use mainly for for reducing way over size cast boolits,( like .324" tdown o .315") as my old #45 LS can't handle such.

That is the beauty of cast boolits, bore sizes don't matter, for there is always a way to get a particular cast boolit sized to fit the bore.

Hey Tan - I rely on my Rockchucker and an RCBS Jr2. I just can't get comfortable with a progressive. I did buy one of the RCBS Piggyback add on kits for the chucker many yrs ago and I couldn't get to where I trusted it. I have been keeping my eyes open for one of the old Lee classic cast iron presses though. Dog

Hey Dog, I caught the Lee Classic CI press on sale a year or so ago, paid 70 bucks for it and it is one heck of a press for stout and strong. I like my Dillons for volume reloading, for churning out hundreds of reloads in a couple hours, find them hard to beat.

I had a RCBS Jr bought around 1964, Used it for many years until gave it to son-in-law around 1985 and he is still using it.

I'm not in a hurry and use a Lee Classic Turret press. Keeps me in ammunition for my 9mm, .357 magnum, .44 Special/magnum, .30 Carbine, and 30-06 Springfield. I guess if you got the funds to buy them fancy progressives, you got the funds to shoot lots of ammunition.

I've been using a Rock Chucker with piggyback conversion unit for pistol and revolver loading and a second RC for single stage rifle cartridges for years! I do separate the stages while using the piggyback unit however!

For most everything I use a Dillon RL550b. For my hunting ammo though, I use an old Lyman Spar-T turret and do them one by one.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top