JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
DPMSPantherAP4Carbine001.jpg

DPMSPantherAP4Carbine006.jpg

DPMSPantherAP4Carbine003.jpg

DPMSPantherAP4Carbine005.jpg

I just picked it up this morning. It had everything I wanted, and the price was right. Removable carry handle with A-2 sights, plus a free floater forend. It came with 2, 20 round mags and the dealer threw in a 20 round Mag-Pul P-Mag which I really like. I'll be picking up a few more. I won't get a chance to crank it up until Monday, weather permitting.

This is my first .308 AR. I have a couple of Springfield M1-A's, and I'll be glad to see how this one stacks up. It seems like a nice, solid, well made rifle. Fit, finish, and overall feel look good, and I really like the sights. I'm still not used to the big magazine! When he handed me the Mag-Pul P-Mag I did a double take because I'm so used to .223.

This thing looks like it's going to get shot a lot! Does anyone have any ammo recommendations? I've been running 42.0 Gr. of Varget under a 168 Gr. Sierra Matchking in all of my other .308's, and it's more or less been my "go to" round in that caliber because it runs well in all of my rifles. Anyway,I'm looking forward to lighting it up!

I've been in love with these since I first handled one years ago. Still haven't fired one, you'll have to let us know how you like it!

That is one nice looking AR. I love the smooth FF tube look.

Just out of curiosity, what did you get it for? I've been looking at them for my first semi-auto "battle rifle" to complement the AR-15 I built.

Nice. I have a Sportical in 308 that does surprisingly well at 600 yards. I'll have to try it at 800 or 1000 when I get the chance. I haven't started reloading 308 yet, but I'm sure I will be sooner or later. I friend of mine has had luck with Varget, but I don't recall the exact recipe. Please do post your results.

I finished putting a Vltor E-Mod stock on it. It's a real improvement over the standard stock they come with. The nice thing is it gives you a full inch extra length of pull. I've always found that AR rifles have much too short of stock for me. This really helps give the gun a better shooting posture.

Any photos yet? I've been considering replacing the stock on my LMT Defender / Colt SOCOM setup. I was looking at the Magpul CTR a year or two ago but since then the market has literally been flooded with options.

Any photos yet? I've been considering replacing the stock on my LMT Defender / Colt SOCOM setup. I was looking at the Magpul CTR a year or two ago but since then the market has literally been flooded with options.

I'll try to take a couple later today. Lately I've replaced a lot of my AR standard stocks with Vltor E-Mod stocks. Man Venture Outpost has them to fit both Commercial and Military buffer tubes for just $103.00. They're very good to deal with, and they ship fast. Here is one of my Bushmaster AR's that have them.

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/VLTOR-E%2dMOD-Stock-Black-AR%2d15-AEB%2dCB.html

MidwestIndustriesHandguards002.jpg

MidwestIndustriesHandguards004.jpg

The CTR is nice, but If you like a long stock, it's actually slightly shorter than a standard one. They have thicker butt pads for $20. I got the thickest (.70) and it seems to bring the LOP just past factory. There is a second lever on the stock to lock it to the buffer tube. It reduces "wobble" to about nothing, but it makes a loud click when you disengage it. I fooled around with it for a few minutes and couldn't find a way to release it quietly. No big deal to me, but a soldier or LEO might not like that.

Another thing I've replaced on most all of my AR-15's is the grip handle. I have very large hands and again, the standard pistol grip is just too small for my hands. I went with the Falcon Industries DeLuxe Tactical Grip. Midway has these on sale for just $23.99.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...pistol-grip-ar-15-ovemolded-rubber?cm_vc=S014

It only takes a minute to change them out, and the improvement is drastic. The grip has a very large, hand filling palm swell built into it, and a nice "grippy" rubber surface. The difference is like night and day. I need to get one for my DPMS .308. That one takes the large frame model.

ErgoDeLuxeTacticalAR-15Grip004.jpg

This is the .308 DPMS with the Vltor E-Mod Stock installed on it. I still have to get an Ergo DeLuxe Tactical Grip for it.

ErgoDeLuxeTacticalAR-15Grip003.jpg

This is my Bushmaster M-4, (The same one in the above post), with the Ergo DeLuxe Tactical Grip.

ErgoDeLuxeTacticalAR-15Grip001.jpg

This is my Bushy 20" A-2 Rifle, also with the Ergo DeLuxe Tactical Grip installed. It really makes a huge difference in the way the rifle handles.

I'm going to have to find one of those VLTOR stocks and give it a go. Good to know the CTR is a bit shorter. I haven't fired enough AR's to know what length of stock I really need, but it does seem like the standard AR stock is fairly short.

That looks like the exact same grip that came with my LMT Defender lower.

I have to get 2 more Vltor Stocks for my 2 Colts. Believe it or not, Colt IMHO, has the chintziest M-4 six position stock on the market. It is nowhere near as nice as the models from Bushmaster or DPMS are. That is surprising seeing as everyone raves about Colt being "Mil-Spec". The Vltor E-Mod really dresses up a weapon, and at the same time is very practical.

Sweet looking shooter there in billit's avatar!! Are you doing a range report?

I haven't had the DPMS .308 out since last Spring. Here in Arizona it gets too hot during the Summer months to shoot. Your barrel heats up in just a few rounds, and when it's 110 in the shade, it takes forever for it to cool down. I've got around 500 rounds through it since I bought it, and it's been a flawless performer. For handloads it really likes the Sierra 168 Gr. Matchking's over 42.0 Grains of Varget. I don't have it scoped, so I can't comment on it's full accuracy potential as of yet. But it operates beautifully, not one FTF or FTE in all 500+ rounds I've managed to put through it. I've used both the Mag-Pul P-Mags, as well as the 2 steel DPMS magazines the rifle came with. All have run reliably, with no feeding issues.

For all of the downplay DPMS receives on the quality of their guns, I have to say their AP-4 .308 Carbine is one of the nicest .308 AR-10 style rifles I've come across. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a .308 caliber AR platform weapon.

So you can't shoot a couple months out of the year? It's opposite for us here! Damn rain :)

So you can't shoot a couple months out of the year? It's opposite for us here! Damn rain :)

True. It really is just the opposite as when I lived in and around Chicago. There we lived for our 90 day Summers. June, July, and August. Half the time it was either raining, or else threatening to. Here we avoid June, July, and August, in favor of the much cooler fall and "Winter" months. Even in the middle of January we're in shirt sleeves by 11:00 AM most of the time. Pretty hard to beat for shooting outdoors.

I can't wait to make my way down there to spread the word about this site. Planning on attending a couple gun shows this winter.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top