JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am seeing ads pop up recently where people are doing this. Why on earth would ANYONE purchase a firearm from someone who says that the buyer must provide a copy of their drivers license?? That is just asking to get your identity stolen. Not necessarily by the seller, but what happens if the seller's home is broken into and they steal those drivers license copies?? There is NO WAY I would EVER let a private citizen have a copy of my drivers license just to purchase a firearm from them. Everyone needs to be VERY careful purchasing from someone like that - your identity may very well end up stolen. I personally will only deal with CCW holders - we show each other our CCW cards and go on our way. Is my thinking wrong on this one??

I would never leave a copy of my driver's license. I saw an ad here recently that wanted a copy. I kind of understand wanting a CCW, but in Arizona you no longer need to have a CCW to carry. When I was stationed down there I use to carry concealed without a permit because they allowed military people to do this. I had someone down there refuse to sell me a gun because I didn't have an AZ license, though I had the military ID. They said it was illegal, I told them my universal green card made it legal, went and bought from his competition.

That is my question. So if I have a AZ ID @1971Chevelle you wouldn't sell to me? I wouldn't have a CCW since in AZ you don't need one.

Anyone can get an Arizona ID - including felons and illegal aliens. A CCW is only available to people who have passed an extensive background check. It offers peace of mind when you deal with someone who has their CCW card. I won't necessarily not sell to someone without one, but if I meet up with someone to sell a firearm and I am not comfortable with them, I will walk away from the sale. Getting a CCW does not take much time and is worth it.

The seller wants to know if you are a same-state resident but I kind o' agree with you. Short of a copy of your license, I'd offer the seller a name, phone number, and email address-- or even have him take a picture of the license plate on your car. There must be a signed & dated bill of sale so that he cannot come back at you with the accusation that you stole the item.

Some people get too wound up about stuff. It used to be common to print your DL and SSN on your personal checks. Now we are worried that someone will know our DL#?
If I only limited to the people who have a CCW How many guns would you sell? How many people would qualify to buy them? If someone asked for a copy of your CCW would that set off red flags too?

To me the DL say's that the state has checked that that person is who he says he is, and is a common accepted form of ID. So far no one has ever asked where that gun came from, But if they did I have a receipt that tells me where it did come from.

Some people get too wound up about stuff. It used to be common to print your DL and SSN on your personal checks. Now we are worried that someone will know our DL#?
If I only limited to the people who have a CCW How many guns would you sell? How many people would qualify to buy them? If someone asked for a copy of your CCW would that set off red flags too?

To me the DL say's that the state has checked that that person is who he says he is, and is a common accepted form of ID. So far no one has ever asked where that gun came from, But if they did I have a receipt that tells me where it did come from.

If someone has a copy of your license, they have all of the information that they need to begin stealing your identity - including your picture. Sorry, not going to take that risk.

When someone say's they want you're personal information to buy a gun on a private sell , I move on.
There is no law that say's you have to verify anything.
There is no law that say's you have to get a receipt or bill of sale.

The law say's you can not knowingly sell to a prohibited possessor.
If you do happen to sell to a prohibited possessor and didn't know , they broke the law not you.

If I got a bill of sale for every gun I have ever bought or sold I would need to rent a storage unit to hold them all.
Personally I think too many people believe too much crap they read on the internet.

You can learn a lot about people by having an actual conversation with them before hand and not do everything through text and emails.
If someone can't have a conversation on the phone I don't even bother with them.

Last Edited:
That is my question. So if I have a AZ ID @1971Chevelle you wouldn't sell to me? I wouldn't have a CCW since in AZ you don't need one.
Yes, in Arizona you do not need one, but in my humble opinion, you are playing with fire if you do not have one. what's the first thing that's going to happen if you use deadly force? The cops are going to show up. And if you are the one standing there with your permit and your driver's license in one hand and your hands in plain sight, as long as the bad guy is neutralized, their concern level about you is going to drop precipitously. that is unless you really enjoy the experience of having a gun screwed in your ear until they figure out who the real threat is. The momentary inconvenience of showing someone your driver's license and your CCW rather than giving them a copy is protection for you more so than protection for them. moreover, you may carry in more places with a permit then you can without a permit.

Yes, in Arizona you do not need one, but in my humble opinion, you are playing with fire if you do not have one. what's the first thing that's going to happen if you use deadly force? The cops are going to show up. And if you are the one standing there with your permit and your driver's license in one hand and your hands in plain sight, as long as the bad guy is neutralized, their concern level about you is going to drop precipitously. that is unless you really enjoy the experience of having a gun screwed in your ear until they figure out who the real threat is. The momentary inconvenience of showing someone your driver's license and your CCW rather than giving them a copy is protection for you more so than protection for them. moreover, you may carry in more places with a permit then you can without a permit.
I have been asked for my drivers license and I show them my ccw. I will show them my drivers license but will tell them that if they want a copy they are legally responsible for that information and I will hold them responsible for any wrong doing if my information is used in any illegal way. This usually sends a message to the seller that I know the laws and in good standing with the law. I have walked away from sells when dealing with people. Both buying and selling. I also ask if I can have the serial #'s run to make sure the firearm is clean. This has gotten mixed reactions.

In Texas you are violating the law if you sell to someone who is not a state resident. You buy my gun, you prove to me you are a resident. I'm not going to jail because you are paranoid about proving who you are. Texas LTC, Driver's license, Federally accepted ID, Passport, you pick the one you want to use... I will even go with you to an FFL (on your dime) who will demand the same identifiction. Or you can keep looking elsewhere for the gun you want.

People in AZ are hearing about CA people trying to buy guns here, either getting an AZ ID card (not a DL) or just trying to pass themselves off as an AZ resident. That's probably what has started this. I've had people do a simple bill of sale with the last 4 digits of your DL on it and I have no problem with that, obviously they checked your DL while getting those last 4 digits.
As far as having a CCW, there are reasons to have one, you can buy without a background check, you can carry in more places legally, cops are more likely to let you out of a ticket if you have one. The last is not a given, it's just a help.

I used to work at ASU, when first time I went to a training program they asked us to sign in AND provide our SS number. Then in instructor made copies of the sign in sheet and -passed them out the attendees. As he handed them out I was collecting them. I tore them up and disposed of them. Several folks got mad and I stood my ground that I did not have to provide the class my SS number. Amazingly I was taken to the Vice President's office over this. He listened to me and told me to go back to work. Seems policy was changed that day.
What a bunch of idiots.

The seller wants to know if you are a same-state resident but I kind o' agree with you. Short of a copy of your license, I'd offer the seller a name, phone number, and email address-- or even have him take a picture of the license plate on your car. There must be a signed & dated bill of sale so that he cannot come back at you with the accusation that you stole the item.
On Purchases/Sales I wright down the DL#, After I've Physically seen the DL. CCW is what I prefer, and have.
All other Info can CHANGE.
Get a BAD feeling, WALK AWAY!!

If someone has a copy of your license, they have all of the information that they need to begin stealing your identity - including your picture. Sorry, not going to take that risk.
Don't uncover the number or address, just leave the renew date showing and if you are selling get the same info in case it shows up at the scene of a crime. That's simply called CYA

Don't uncover the number or address, just leave the renew date showing and if you are selling get the same info in case it shows up at the scene of a crime. That's simply called CYA Here in OR you can't even leave your gun at your friends house without going to a FFL and your friend has to submit to a background check $10, and when he returns it guess what, you have to submit to TBGC in order to receive it back.
Aren't you glad you live in AZ! Just you wait it will be your turn soon enough!

Name, dob, current address, and type of identification. I keep a log in my gun safe, of any I buy, and any I sell or give away. If you don't want it photographed I am capable of copying it all down. Your gun gets stolen 5 years from now, cops come to your house first, then once they get the serial numbers from you they will be at my house next. I will have your signed bill of sale. If your stolen gun ends up on the street they will follow the same process starting at my house, then to yours after they see our bill of sale.
As I said, I'm not going to jail for your paranoia or sloppy record keeping.

Here in OR, you can't even leave your gun at your friend's house without going to an FFL and your friend has to submit to a background check . . . . when he returns it, you have to submit to TBGC in order to receive it back.
We had such stupidity thrust upon us by Clark County in the 2016 election. Our Attorney General at the time said the law was unenforceable. How can a man get a background check right then if he and his son are 20 miles up in the Ruby Mountains and the son needs his father's rifle to shoot a deer because the son's rifle was dropped and it's a better idea to not fire it until a gunsmith has looked at it?

It seems as though Those Who Abhor Individual Liberty look upon us who love & respect it as being just a few seconds from committing a crime with our legally-owned and lawfully-used firearms. They suspect us-- even so much as expect us-- to engage in violent criminal activity just because we own a firearm. This is a control tactic of nations wherein the People are suspected of a crime until the State can fabricate the specifics to place the charges. Stalin said it best when he said "Show me the man and I'll show you the crime." My intelligence more often than not fails to fire on all cylinders, but it seems to me that Those Who Abhor Individual Liberty are most likely fervent supporters of Josef Stalin and his methods...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top