JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am in the desert for the weekend and on my rounds stopped by Elite Ordnance Manufacturing. Enjoyed my talk with the guys and even learned something new. To me this is what SWFA is all about. Gun lovers coming together and giving tips to help each other out. Big shout out to the guys @Scott Elite for the tips and the time to chat and learn new things.

So here is the tip. Mobile1 as gun lube? My first thought was really are you serious? But after a long discussion and some looking on line at different things I will hands down be trying this. First will be my AR-10. The last range trip I was noticing how dirty it got running it suppressed. Mike the owner at Elite explained to me how his guns are way cleaner with it and in the desert he doesn't have as much problems with the sand sticking to things. After I get my AR-10 cleaned up from the frog lube and run it with mobile1 I will report back.

What do you guys use? has anyone ever tried it?

from outher gun nuts.been yote hunting the upper desert ive droped my gun in the water the sand the mud and stay out some times 2 weeks without any maintance on my weapons never had an issue once.

Have been using Synthetic motor oil on weapons for years started with Mobil One then started using Royal Purple (what I use in my vehicles) after we used motor oil on the machineguns at work a few times. It is designed to cut carbon, withstand high heat, leave a film on the parts for protection, and is cheap. What's not to like.

I do not use synthetic motor oil in my motors. I can see it being a good lube for guns, though. The stuff is better than natural crude; no question about that. Modern chemistry over what God made out of dinosaurs. Synthetic has to be good if 5W-20 is as good as the old 20W-50 I used in my high-mileage 1974 Mustang II with the 171 cid V-6...

I am stoked to try it, especially if it runs cleaner suppressed.
I expect it will run cleaner through a suppressor because it has a higher ignition point. I assume synthetic oil will burn if you add enough heat to it. Maybe "ignition" is not the word; maybe "char" is the word. What is the temperature of the gas right at the muzzle? I'll guess around 600 degrees. That would char natural crude oil; maybe even ignite it. Keep us informed as to what you discover...

I expect it will run cleaner through a suppressor because it has a higher ignition point. I assume synthetic oil will burn if you add enough heat to it. Maybe "ignition" is not the word; maybe "char" is the word. What is the temperature of the gas right at the muzzle? I'll guess around 600 degrees. That would char natural crude oil; maybe even ignite it. Keep us informed as to what you discover...

Just got home last night. I will see if I can make it to the range next weekend and let you know how much cleaner it runs.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top