JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it close to impossible to have a metric thread cut onto the butt of a rifle barrel in the US? I'm planning my next rifle to be a Howa M1500 in 6.5mm Creedmoor. I want to pull the barrel and have a close-tolerance chamber cut into it, which will require the shoulder to be moved-up on the barrel by at least the length of the cartridge's neck. The tenon thread will then have to be lengthened so the barrel can be torqued back into the receiver. My concern is, can a modern lathe cut both a UNC or UNF thread and a metric thread? Are there various gears and transmissions that will allow such a thing? The receiver thread in a Howa is 26 mm in diameter x 1.0 mm in pitch. I'm wondering if I'll have to have an over-diameter barrel made, then have the 26mm thread hogged-out and a US thread cut into the receiver that will fit the thread that will subsequently be cut into the barrel. Yes, I know it sounds like the long way around the barn. But SAAMI chambers are too sloppy for me. I want no more than .003 inches of neck clearance as opposed to .006 inches. Am I making unnecessary problems for myself or chasing expensive ghosts?

Call this guy : Mario Ramos Jr. from Old Pueblo Gunsmithing Services 520-979-8640

He's my gunsmith and is very, very good at what he does. Tell him Steve from Tubac said to call him.

He's been thru the Colorado School of Trades for Gunsmithing if that makes a hoot to ya..

He's been thru the Colorado School of Trades for Gunsmithing, if that makes a hoot to ya...
It does! My late gunsmith did three years there. Most graduates do just two; a third year requires an invitation. The contact info you have provided will go into my phone forthwith. Thank You for your help...

It does! My late gunsmith did three years there. Most graduates do just two; a third year requires an invitation. The contact info you have provided will go into my phone forthwith. Thank You for your help...

No problem. Also, he does it out of his garage. I went to his house and did the closeup examination of cleanliness. He passed it as I owned semi trucks and having a clean shop tells me something about his work and pride in it.....

No problem. Also, he does it out of his garage. I went to his house and did the closeup examination of cleanliness. He passed it...
I did a little research and found his physical address. It's fourteen hours from me; have to go through Vegas. I think I'll let a shipping outfit do the driving after I've spoken with Mr. Ramos about what I desire to have done.

Here is a lengthy read for those who might be interested in cutting a metric thread with a Standard lathe. If you are not familiar with lathe terms and machining with a lathe, it may not be on what you want to spend some time to read. I did ten weeks of machining in college-- in Spring 1986. I remember nothing from those days, although I do still have the carpenter's vise I made in the class...

I'll write him a letter and ask him to please answer at his leisure. The purchase of the barreled action is quite a ways off; no urgency at this point in time.

What kind of barreled action are you looking for ? I'll buy the cheapest Savage Trophy Hunter they have on sale, normally with a $50-100 rebate. That's what I did with my 6.5x284 and then Mario screwed it together, headspaced it etc..

For what kind of barreled action are you looking?
A Howa M1500 chambered in 6.5mm Creedmoor. They sell for around $500. Stocky's Stocks sells a chassis for it for another $500; magazines and a stock have to be added to have the thing be usable. I want the Howa because I have owned one in .223Rem since February of 2011; it's my opinion that they are very nice rifles. Japan is one of the most forward-looking nations on Earth when it comes to the implementation of high-technology manufacturing techniques and processes. The Japanese are known for being obsessed with quality in what they produce. Consider the craftmanship found in automobiles such as Honda, Toyota, Lexus and Acura as testament to my assertion. If the Japanese can put together cars like the aforementioned, a simple rifle should present no problem at all.

MDT also makes some great chassis. I have a couple of those. They run around $400.
This is my Savage 6.5 Creedmoor in a MDT LSS Chassis.
Lockhart Tactical is a good place to look for them when on sale. These chassis are made in British Columbia.

D018D27D-E625-4CB3-8599-6FDEBF6304ED.jpeg

A Howa M1500 chambered in 6.5mm Creedmoor. They sell for around $500. Stocky's Stocks sells a chassis for it for another $500; magazines and a stock have to be added to have the thing be usable. I want the Howa because I have owned one in .223Rem since February of 2011; it's my opinion that they are very nice rifles. Japan is one of the most forward-looking nations on Earth when it comes to the implementation of high-technology manufacturing techniques and processes. The Japanese are known for being obsessed with quality in what they produce. Consider the craftmanship found in automobiles such as Honda, Toyota, Lexus and Acura as testament to my assertion. If the Japanese can put together cars like the aforementioned, a simple rifle should present no problem at all.

I have a 257 Weatherby Vanguard. Pretty nice rifle.

I have a 257 Weatherby Vanguard.
Is the Vanguard made by Howa? Does your brass have that very expensive-to-machine double radius? I ask that because when I had the reamer made for my .300-caliber mildcat in Spring 2011, I thought I wanted it. Dave Manson said it would cost more money to grind it, and that it really wasn't needed.

I have since learned that Roy Weatherby was a salesman more than he was a riflemaker. It was just after the war and all the GIs coming back wanted new cars, new homes, new wives and new rifles. Roy saw this and so began to build rifles that were "so powerful," they needed belts on the cases. One of the selling points of a Weatherby rifle was the nine-lug locking system on the bolt. It was advertised as being as strong as the breech lock on a 16-inch naval gun. He also wanted to build rifles that propelled a bullet to velocities unheard-of before the war-- in order to get the millions of dollars held by the millions of returning soldiers. John Wayne had a Weatherby. I think Ronald Raegan had one, too. The Weatherby was the rifle to have. Having one silently said to others that you had money, class and an elevated taste in firearms. The Weatherby was the Perrier of rifles in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Then we learned about how that hyper-velocity shot-out the throats in less than 1000 rounds. We didn't learn the lesson very well because today we have the 300RUM and other mega-capacity cases that do the same thing on rifles costing less in 1940s dollars than did a Weatherby of seventy years ago.

Last Edited:
Is the Vanguard made by Howa? Does your brass have that very expensive-to-machine double radius? I ask that because when I had the reamer made for my .300-caliber mildcat in Spring 2011, I thought I wanted it. Dave Manson said it would cost more money to grind it, and that it really wasn't needed.

I have since learned that Roy Weatherby was a salesman more than he was a riflemaker. It was just after the war and all the GIs coming back wanted new cars, new homes, new wives and new rifles. Roy saw this and so began to build rifles that were "so powerful," they needed belts on the cases. One of the selling points of a Weatherby rifle was the nine-lug locking system on the bolt. It was advertised as being as strong as the breech lock on a 16-inch naval gun. He also wanted to build rifles that propelled a bullet to velocities unheard-of before the war-- in order to get the millions of dollars held by the millions of returning soldiers. John Wayne had a Weatherby. I think Ronald Raegan had one, too. The Weatherby was the rifle to have. Having one silently said to others that you had money, class and an elevated taste in firearms. The Weatherby was the Perrier of rifles in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Then we learned about how that hyper-velocity shot-out the throats in less than 1000 rounds. We didn't learn the lesson very well because today we have the 300RUM and other mega-capacity cases that do the same thing on rifles costing less in 1940s dollars than did a Weatherby of seventy years ago.

Yes, Howa makes the Vanguards. As for the double radius thingy, I don't have a clue what that even means..............???

As for the double radius thingy, I don't have a clue what that even means..............???
A common bottleneck case has a clearance radius where the neck meets the conical portion of the case; it's usually around 0.05 inches in radius. The common case will have a sharp shoulder because the taper in the case body allows for easy extraction once the obturation upon firing has relaxed, and the case has returnd to very nearly its original shape. The original Weatherby case had a radius where the conical portion met the case walls. The shoulder radius, in my worthless opinion, is just something to differentiate a Weatherby case from the common, garden-variety case we have all come to know and love. It's a "talking point," for the most part. It's also an expensive thing to manufacture but if you had the money to buy a Weatherby back in the '50s and '60s, you didn't really care about that extra cost in the final price of the rifle...

weatherby case.JPG weatherby double radius.JPG

Last Edited:
Short answer is YES, you can, the real trick is if your smith has the correct gear set for his lathe, as we has to swap the drive gear and idlers and follower gears to cut Metric threads! Sounds simple, but it sucks depending on the lathe! On my Grizzly, It takes about half an hour, some are worse, and some have a second set built in, so it's just a matter of shifting! Keep us in the loop, if you need more options, Let us know!

Short answer is YES, you can. The real trick is if your 'smith has the correct gear set for his lathe, as he has to swap the drive gear and idlers and follower gears to cut metric threads.
I sent an email to Wright Armory in Mesa, AZ. Proprietor Brian Wright says he can cut the thread; cost for a barrel setback is in the $250 range. I think that's fair. I'd think it would be even more fair if he can turn it around in something like three weeks. Now all I need is a barreled M1500 action. And the $750 to buy the action and do the work. And the $500 for the Howa HCR chassis...

I sent an email to Wright Armory in Mesa, AZ. Proprietor Brian Wright says he can cut the thread; cost for a barrel setback is in the $250 range. I think that's fair. I'd think it would be even more fair if he can turn it around in something like three weeks. Now all I need is a barreled M1500 action. And the $750 to buy the action and do the work. And the $500 for the Howa HCR chassis...

MDT is going to have a sale coming up. Check their site.

MDT is going to have a sale coming up.
Totally stinks for me that I'm out of work. Getting my CPAP on October 28. DOT requires 30 days of documented usage before I can be eligible for going back to work. Will have to pass the physical, too. T'was the diagnosis of an APN (not by a doctor) that I have sleep apnea after I said "I am so tired" while I was having my blood pressure taken. I'd been up late Saturday night, up early Sunday morning to attend a club shooting event, up late Sunday night and up early Monday morning to go to Sparks to take the physical. I was definitely lacking in sleep.

So I said I was tired. Who isn't now and then? The next thing I knew, I was handed a form asking if I ever felt tired when I should be awake, alert and dignified. Yeah; who hasn't? Another was have I ever fallen asleep watching TV or reading in a quiet place. Yeah; who hasn't? A third was have I ever had an accident while driving because I fell asleep on a long, straight, flat piece of highway. That's the perfect description of Nevada, lady. And No, I have never had an accident predicated on such conditions. There were four questions; I do not remember the last one.

The form is a government document, so I could not be less than candid. I answered truthfully, and was summarily told I was disqualified to drive. Boom! Just like that, I was no longer a truck driver. That was o/a July 1. I've been swimming upstream in a river of sewage solids ever since to get my qualifications restored. It's taken a long time, demanded irritating effort and has cost a lot of money. Praise God my dad and mother promised each other in 1955 that as soon-to-be parents, they'd do whatever was necessary for the benefit of their kids-- no matter how badly we'd ever embarrass them in the decades to come nor how much blood, sweat and tears our failures as their kids would ever cost them. My mother died on November 22, 2015; my dad continues to keep his promise to her-- and to her kids...

Totally stinks for me that I'm out of work. Getting my CPAP on October 28. DOT requires 30 days of documented usage before I can be eligible for going back to work. Will have to pass the physical, too. T'was the diagnosis of an APN (not by a doctor) that I have sleep apnea after I said "I am so tired" while I was having my blood pressure taken. I'd been up late Saturday night, up early Sunday morning to attend a club shooting event, up late Sunday night and up early Monday morning to go to Sparks to take the physical. I was definitely lacking in sleep.

So I said I was tired. Who isn't now and then? The next thing I knew, I was handed a form asking if I ever felt tired when I should be awake, alert and dignified. Yeah; who hasn't? Another was have I ever fallen asleep watching TV or reading in a quiet place. Yeah; who hasn't? A third was have I ever had an accident while driving because I fell asleep on a long, straight, flat piece of highway. That's the perfect description of Nevada, lady. And No, I have never had an accident predicated on such conditions. There were four questions; I do not remember the last one.

The form is a government document, so I could not be less than candid. I answered truthfully, and was summarily told I was disqualified to drive. Boom! Just like that, I was no longer a truck driver. That was o/a July 1. I've been swimming upstream in a river of sewage solids ever since to get my qualifications restored. It's taken a long time, demanded irritating effort and has cost a lot of money. Praise God my dad and mother promised each other in 1955 that as soon-to-be parents, they'd do whatever was necessary for the benefit of their kids-- no matter how badly we'd ever embarrass them in the decades to come nor how much blood, sweat and tears our failures as their kids would ever cost them. My mother died on November 22, 2015; my dad continues to keep his promise to her-- and to her kids...

I never answered those questions the government asked if possible. It was none of their business as far as I was concerned. Now look at the mess they created for a hard working truck driver. I hope you signed up for Social Security Disability. If you haven't, do it. I've been thru every wringer you can think of to cover my butt.....

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top