JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Someone else posted on this and I did not want to dirty up his post.

I have been in this home for over 20 years, So I have met the neighbors. Its a very small town So you kind of meet everyone. Only a couple are what I would call preppers. And I would not want any of them around in good or bad times! They are loud mouths that attract trouble where ever they go. One I know has gone from being a Navy Corpsman, to a" Combat Wounded Special Forces Marine." I think he forgets what story's he has told!

I just can't imagine wanting to meet up with guys like that! Or Maybe I'm just lucky to live near them! DR

Hmmm...
It's too bad you've got neighbors like that. I imagine if anything significant happens the trust level in your neighborhood would be low, and it should be. People give us clues all the time about their character, we just have to be aware of them. Once you have your preps in order, it's a natural progression to try to find like minded people who not only are prepared as well, but also have solid core values. Survivability goes up when people band together, but everyone needs to choose wisely...
A person's values can be indicated in their speech, but is most definitely indicated in their actions. I wouldn't think you'd want to be letting someone know what you have or even where you are at in a mindset if they act as you describe. Better they consider you as not a place to go for anything.
My folks raised me with this on picking my "friends" at a young age: "If they lie, they'll cheat, if they cheat, they'll steal". Stuck with me as sound advice over the years, and it only gets worse when you add in the stress that a catastrophic event brings. I'm not sure how attached you are to where you live, but if I were you, I'd consider relocation if that is an option.
It was for me 11 years ago when I left a place I was in for 20 years. I'm not in an "ideal" place, but it works for now.

I guess I have been lucky. I have never lived in a place where all my neighbors suck. I think its a good idea to talk to neighbors before buying a house. Spend some time in the neighborhood.

You will always have some bad ones and IMHO you just need to be vigilant about those neighbors when things go side ways. Those are the ones that will be knocking on your door asking for help. :oops:

Don't get me wrong, I like a good number of my neighbors, But they are not prepared for more than a day without power, or a week without the grocery trip. I have asked a few, What are you going to do if the resupply truck doesn't get to our market? The answer is they will just drive to the next town!

Well... at least they didn't say they're coming to your house!! Hahah!

I'm guessing because you are here, you don't need the advice, so please don't take offense to it. It's more for others who may have run into a similar situation and may be looking for ideas.

Keep workin on em. The decent ones you get along with. Maybe mention to them recent times that have caused issues and problems in your town, and if your town was fine, maybe use other areas that have been in the news. All you gotta do is voice concern, you don't need to show your cards... Talk to them about all the political division in our country and how this election coming up might become a polarizing event regardless of who wins... and you have been thinking and wondering if they expect there to be trouble.

Maybe approach it from the point of current events and like I'm thinking hard about setting some stuff aside, maybe spending a little more and buying a couple extra cans of soup or something to start up a pantry and do they think that's going overboard? That puts you asking them for advice, and people are usually a little more open to that approach rather than being told. If you never hear of them doing it, then don't ever tell or tip your cards that you already have.
If the ones you like and get along with don't do anything, and something short term happens, like the recent toilet paper run, you could always leave an anonymous care package at their doorstep if you wanna help them out. Not saying you have to, your choice, and only if you have a little bit more than you probably need... we should all know by now we're sheepdogs, and loyal to those we care about... It would suck to know you could've helped someone but didn't.. again your choice and what you can live with...

Once the smoke clears on the little inconvenience, approach the subject again. Never in a group, always one on one, and in a way they won't think to mention you to others or remember you for it.

if you do help, you can't take credit for it. At least not until you know they did something to help themselves... and always admit to just as much as they have done, nothing more... If or when they do let you know they did put away some stuff, be sure to discuss secrecy, OPSEC, gray man with them. Then encourage them to do as much as they can.

If your talks with them cause them to start being more preparedness minded, remember that joins you guys at the hip. If anything happens security wise, in good times or bad, it compromises everybody. Pretty much you guys are in it together from that point and it's important everyone has a clear understanding of that.

I tried having that "be prepared" conversation with my leftist brother....
I may have gotten through to one of his yappy little dogs better. He's a leftist, so of course he doesn't understand "cause and effect" or "unintended consequences." He goes to the grocery store just about every day, stating that he never knows what he will be hungry for tomorrow. "Besides, if we are out of food, I can eat out." WTF? Truly hopeless.

Recognizing who will hear the call and respond, and who won't is a big part of efficiently managing your time. Some won't hear it, and that's ok. It's their decision, and just as you live by yours, they will live by theirs.
Our decisions, well at least some of them, regulate how dependent we are on other people, society, etc. Being short sighted can have a tendency to make for a turbulent life, and as such, force you into dependency on others, even the government, to help you out.
Ordinarily, there wouldn't be anything wrong with this, except it seems these days people are blatantly irresponsible for their actions and decisions... I believe the dependent lifestyle keeps them (for lack of a better way of saying it) blind to the realities of the world, immature and child like, prone to excuses and casting blame on others that truly rests squarely on them. One other thing I've noticed is these people, most likely due to their subconscious realization they are failing to adult, will actually want you to fail and can even take a hand in seeing to it, as a form of placating their inner child, (or perhaps it's just some kind of misplaced jealousy) and justifying their form of existence. Basically, you can't trust them with crap. If they do happen to know what you have and how you live, your only real choice may be to be somewhere else when SHTF, or sooner.

Sometimes these things have away of working themselves out on their own! One loud mouth is in jail facing several long sentence's, and the other moved away because his closest neighbors did not like him! [ He may have come to believe they live by the 3S's. Shoot, Shovel , and Shut up about it!]
So far I like both new family's.
One is a young Military family and the other is a middle aged guy and two older teens. Both seem fairly squared away.

I moved into a new neighborhood after the divorce, and haven't really had a chance to meet anyone yet. Anyone showing up looking for handouts might be disappointed.

I tried having that "be prepared" conversation with my leftist brother....
I may have gotten through to one of his yappy little dogs better. He's a leftist, so of course he doesn't understand "cause and effect" or "unintended consequences." He goes to the grocery store just about every day, stating that he never knows what he will be hungry for tomorrow. "Besides, if we are out of food, I can eat out." WTF? Truly hopeless.
And how, if push comes to shove, would/could you turn away your brother or other close kin? That's one issue I'm glad I don't face...

1709051264273.png

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top