JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Marlin Heavy Barrel in 17 HMR that fails to extract the extractor and ejector are in good condition and the case is tough to puss out with a cleaning rod this is factory ammo Federal does any one have a suggestion on what the problem is and how to fix it

Sounds like an overly-tight chamber. Have you tried other makers of ammo? Maybe a good cleaning of the chamber? There may be hardened oil or machining chips in there.

New gun? Did the gun ever work correctly? If it worked correctly at one point then it is time to check the breach. They make sizing gauges for that. OR something has happened to your bolt and extractor. The tolerances are tight and I am no expert nor would I know how to fix your problem.

I bought an used AR10 that had this problem, finally sent it back to the mother ship and when it was returned I had a new breach and bolt assembly for the gun at no charge from Armalite. No explanation either. Check with Marlin for recalls on your model.

The AR10 was on my bucket list and I was incensed that I purchased something that expensive that did not work correctly. Being a trouble shooter most of my life I kicked into solving mode and finally decided that I did not know enough and emailed Armalite.
I bet you are just as worried about the rod down the barrel as I was.

I did take one more step that maybe you have not. I used my micrometer and checked all of the ammo I had problems with all were with in spec. That is when I knew there was something wrong with the gun.

Do you know if your rifle was "dry fired"? This can put a burr on the lip of the chamber where the firing pin would strike.
Take a good look and if needed a little file/stone work will remove the burr.

All of my 17 cal rifles have to have a clean chamber to work properly. I use a 223 bore brush in just the chamber, and made a short rod that I could push in , turn and pull back. [ the std cleaning rod would not let me turn it] Iclean the chamber every 100 rounds or so. Good Luck.DR

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top