JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out in my "secret spot" turns out it's not much of a secret because I found a huge amount of belt links. Looks to be m249B links. 5.56 nato... I don't think civilians can own one of those. However there is alot of cartel activity in the surrounding area. I quickly filled my pockets with them to sell or link up and hang above my reloading bench. Was this even worth my time? Watched a shoot out with a coyote smuggler and a border agent in my front yard while enjoying my cigarette one morning too. That was 2 years ago and have since moved out of that area.

Totally not worth it...
That depends upon whose money is spent to buy one. I never would, but some collector just might. The full-auto versions cannot be transferred to civilians because of the Hughes Amendment but if a semi-auto is all you can get and you want one for your collection, there is a remedy to get one.

I paid $2450 for a semi-auto M1928A1 Thompson (p/n T1BSB)-- because I wanted an iconic, historic, quintessentially American firearm. I do not own it, however. It belongs to my brother who lives in a different State. It's a long and convoluted story as to how he owns it and not me, but it basically boils-down to the dealer in Sparks falling on his ash and not pursuing the order. After a year-plus of excuses I canceled the order, got the money back, mailed the check to my brother and he purchased the rifle under his name. That was in January 2017. There were more stupid delays; the rifle was finally and truly ordered in March 2017. It was received at the dealer on July 7, 2017; it came via common carrier in a cardboard box. No "security" around it at all. The tax stamp came through in very late December 2017. There was still another problem (discrepancies in the firearm's description on the Form 4), which set transfer back nearly two more weeks. My brother finally got his gun on January 8 or 10, 2018, I think it was. I ordered it on November 13, 2015. It took something like 835 days from initial order to final delivery.

It's a beauty. The bluing is very dark-- almost black. It's heavy; about 14 pounds with a 30-round stick inserted. There is something special about shouldering the weapon. The modern ones are made on the very same tooling that was used in the early 1940s. In that, I have a link to the valiant men who used the Thompson to free the world from the most evil & brutal tyranny Man has ever known. I am happy to have that small link to those members of the Greatest Generation.

Thompson.jpg

Last Edited:
I was out in my "secret spot" turns out it's not much of a secret because I found a huge amount of belt links. Looks to be m249B links. 5.56 nato... I don't think civilians can own one of those. However there is alot of cartel activity in the surrounding area. I quickly filled my pockets with them to sell or link up and hang above my reloading bench. Was this even worth my time? Watched a shoot out with a coyote smuggler and a border agent in my front yard while enjoying my cigarette one morning too. That was 2 years ago and have since moved out of that area.

Wow, that's crazy. Hope it was one of the legal ones or a dealer sample!

The location I was at was just north of vikol valley south of maricopa city. With that being said it's a coin toss of the gun that dropped those was legal or not. There is alot of stuff that happens down there. I used to see a plane fly low over my house heading north drop what looked to be some kind of packages into the desert and circle back south after it dropped something. I never had the courage to investigate anything. We used to see mirror flashes on the hills too. Those were cartel scouts communicating with eachother

I think I'd find another place to shoot. That such nefarious types may even be in the area is reason enough to go somewhere else. Those types will kill anyone they even think saw them, assuming they are the really bad ones. Even the not so bad ones are still dangerous. Criminals today just do not care who they kill. The lure of the money they make in committing crimes throws any restraint right out the window...

Your probably right but I have been going to that exact spot for a few years and I have only seen someone else out there twice. I did move because the illegals/ possible cartel members would come to my door and knock asking for water. I always told them to gtfo my property and call the authority's while getting my gun ready, there have been body's found out there on several occasions. One was in a wash a few hundred feet from my gate. And 2 more in my neighbors back yard. I had my wife and child living there too. And that's why I moved

I doubt there is a market for M249 links. If there was, he who spread 'em all over the desert would have policed them up. Well, maybe not. If you can afford a semi-auto M249, the cost of the links is flatus in the wind...

That depends upon whose money is spent to buy one. I never would, but some collector just might. The full-auto versions cannot be transferred to civilians because of the Hughes Amendment but if a semi-auto is all you can get and you want one for your collection, there is a remedy to get one.

I paid $2450 for a semi-auto M1928A1 Thompson (p/n T1BSB)-- because I wanted an iconic, historic, quintessentially American firearm. I do not own it, however. It belongs to my brother who lives in a different State. It's a long and convoluted story as to how he owns it and not me, but it basically boils-down to the dealer in Sparks falling on his ash and not pursuing the order. After a year-plus of excuses I canceled the order, got the money back, mailed the check to my brother and he purchased the rifle under his name. That was in January 2017. There were more stupid delays; the rifle was finally and truly ordered in March 2017. It was received at the dealer on July 7, 2017; it came via common carrier in a cardboard box. No "security" around it at all. The tax stamp came through in very late December 2017. There was still another problem (discrepancies in the firearm's description on the Form 4), which set transfer back nearly two more weeks. My brother finally got his gun on January 8 or 10, 2018, I think it was. I ordered it on November 13, 2015. It took something like 835 days from initial order to final delivery.

It's a beauty. The bluing is very dark-- almost black. It's heavy; about 14 pounds with a 30-round stick inserted. There is something special about shouldering the weapon. The modern ones are made on the very same tooling that was used in the early 1940s. In that, I have a link to the valiant men who used the Thompson to free the world from the most evil & brutal tyranny Man has ever known. I am happy to have that small link to those members of the Greatest Generation.

View attachment 1274
You may be aware of Ohio Ordnance if not they produce some of the icons of WWII,
My favorite,

Always wanted one, even asked if they could build it in .308 once. They politely said no. Wander these pages, bring your banker.

View attachment 1274
You are kidding right, EVERYONE who is a citizen can own a full auto weapon if you want it. They are becoming expensive but they are LEGAL.
This is civilian owned just not mine anymore (but I do still have the Stiners). As to the original post they sell links (I don't remember the prices) on GUNBROKER if you want to check,

Work tools.jpg

Last Edited:
I think I'd find another place to shoot. That such nefarious types may even be in the area is reason enough to go somewhere else. Those types will kill anyone they even think saw them, assuming they are the really bad ones. Even the not so bad ones are still dangerous. Criminals today just do not care who they kill. The lure of the money they make in committing crimes throws any restraint right out the window...
cartels select for the worst types of people in existence. if you meet a cartel member, be prepared for a gunfight, because they're going to kill you 100%. there are plenty of cases of people running into cartels and ending up corpses in the desert. the most recent one i think was someone on a boat or water ski who came upon cartel members and they killed him and his girlfriend. don't call the cops afterwards either. just leave them out in the sun. if enough cartel members end up corpses in the desert, they will be less inclined to come up here

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top