JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's got an anti-tilt follower. I changed-out the spring and it still double-feeds like crazy.
Probably a feed lips problem. The aluminum ones are prone to poor feeding if the lips get buggered. If the mag is a Pro-Mag, it was a piece of junk when it left the factory. Does a Mag-pul Gen 2 work satisfactorily in the weapon? I use nothing but Mag-pul magazines; have never had a feeding failure that I can remember. When you really look at it, they're cheap because they never have any problems. Buy them once, enjoy them for years to come.

The "green" followers in GI mags are obsolete. I think the correct color now is black. I have a never-used magazine from Windham Weaponry that has the black follower. I'd have to believe Windham is shipping the latest stuff, so as to preclude customer complaints about feeding failures.

The follower in mine is silver and it says west haven on the magazine body. I ordered a rebuild kit for it with new follower, spring and floor plate. When you say the feed lips are out of place. What do you mean? I know nearly nothing about it besides it not being a colt magazine.

When you say the feed lips are out of place, what do you mean? I know nearly nothing about it besides it not being a Colt magazine.
The feed lips (they retain the shells in the magazine until the bolt strips a new round) are shaped such that they vertically position the shells right where the heads of the cartridges have to be to have the bolt strip one round. If the lips are too wide, the round directly beneath the top round will not be held in place by the curvature of its near feed lip, a second round will escape because of the too-wide gap, and you'll get the double-feeds you're getting.

I once saw advertised a tool used to bend the feed lips on aluminum magazines back to their original positions. I doubt it's still to be had in these days of nearly failure-proof polymer magazines, but you can certainly look for it.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-15-m16-magazine-feed-lip-tool-prod21511.aspx

Last Edited:
Meh, I bought it as a conversation piece while out shooting. I'm not too worried about it. It's a cool magazine though. I mainly use gen 2 and gen 3 pmags. I actually got it from numrich aka e-gunparts.com.

I have given it a little thought. Seeing how I'm already into this vintage magazine around 40$, to get that tool. I have a couple of steel mags that I could use it on. I like the steel mags better due yo durability. But the pmags and the mft run the best. It's like an argument about ar15s and ak47s

I like the steel mags better due to durability.
Good idea to keep the oldies running. Magazines made after September 2004 (when Sick Willy Klantoon's ban expired) have a date code on them. This is so the Evil Left in our government can identify that magazine as post-ban, and then declare it illegal to own should the Tyranny-crats ever retake control of our government. Make no mistake: The Marxocrats want our guns. They are feeling their oats after the Parkland thing. They look to Davie Pigg to be their new champion. He's young, angry and has great hair for TV. T'was never a better time than now to keep our powder dry...

Anyone know how to get one of these to cycle? It's got an anti tilt follower I changed out the spring and it still double feeds like crazy
If your magazine is a Colt or military contract mag from that time period, they are not designed for the new gen anti tilt followers.
The 20 rd Bushmaster mags will work with them as they are not squared off on the bottom.
These new followers have to be used in a mag with a slight curve to the body or they will not feed.
I hope this helps.

Lol it didn't work. It's got to be the feed lips. I have unprimed dummy rounds I use for function testing. I hope I don't screw up my chamber with these double feeds wedging into the chamber. When it happens nothing short of needle nose pliers will get them out. This mag has ruined alot of live rounds

Well I'm giving it one last go. I want this mag to work. It's beat to bubblegum and was probably used in vietnam. It's stupid but that means something to me and I would like to use it... I just put it in hot water with dish soap and pulled a load of grime and grit out of it using an old baby bottle brush.

I gently adjusted the feed lips in the back as well. The feed lips in the back were not flush with the dummy rounds I made so I adjusted them with some pliers to be flush with the round. (Slight tilt upwards on the front of the bullet)

New follower, new spring, soaked and scrubbed in hot water, adjusted feed ramps. If this doesn't work anyone want it? Lol it cycled 6 dummy rounds but the true test it loading 20 and firing

Well I'm giving it one last go. I want this mag to work. It's beat to bubblegum and was probably used in vietnam. It's stupid but that means something to me and I would like to use it... I just put it in hot water with dish soap and pulled a load of grime and grit out of it using an old baby bottle brush.
I have several. $35.00 will buy one and these all work. And, they're Colt mags.

I have eight each 20-round Colts that have never had any ammo in any of them. Bought them way back in the mid-1990s. They are not for sale. I'll never use them; I'm just keeping them for no particular reason. I kind o' think I got all eight for twenty bucks. Maybe $20 each; hardly matters, now. If they were $160 in 1998, then their entire cost today is down to $8 per year. I'll just keep them and enjoy watching their annual cost continue to fall over time...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top