JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hell of a deal. I got mine when I had a four digit serial number SP-101...cried when I had to sell it.
My first AR was an SP-1 I picked-up for $350 in April 1983. If I recall, it had a five-digit serial number. Wasn't too long after that time was when the Picatinny uppers came out. I sure wanted one of those. I so badly wanted a rifle to which could be attached a scope that didn't require the user to have a neck like a giraffe to sight through the scope. Times changed and I began to earn more money. I eventually purchased a rail-top rifle. Then another. Then another. I'll stop at just those three, but I now own so many that some would say I have an obsessive compulsive disorder to either buy 'em or build 'em. Pleadin' the Fifth on that one...

My early ones are not as nicely fitted-out as are my later ones, but all are configured differently. As I gathered more tools and developed a better assembly technique over the years, the end results became much more fine until what I now build are very nice rifles. Having all the correct tools makes assembly much easier, and considerably reduces the chances of damage to the lower. In all I have done for myself and for others, I have yet to break off even one of the trigger guard ears. Anybody who has knows the feeling of dread such an occurrence brings. Fortunately, Daniel Defense makes an integral pistol grip and trigger guard that mitigates such a blunder. Add to that, the grip angle is better suited for lengthy periods behind the trigger. Just a guess, but I'm thinking the angle is taken from that of the M1911 pistol. The pistol's grip angle is 18 degrees, which I have read is the optimum angle for both sighting ease and gripping comfort.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/ar-15-pistol-grip-prod71443.aspx

Last Edited:
My first AR was an SP-1 I picked-up for $350 in April 1983. If I recall, it had a five-digit serial number. Wasn't too long after that time was when the Picatinny uppers came out. I sure wanted one of those. I so badly wanted a rifle to which could be attached a scope that didn't require the user to have a neck like a giraffe to sight through the scope. Times changed and I began to earn more money. I eventually purchased a rail-top rifle. Then another. Then another. I'll stop at just those three, but I now own so many that some would say I have an obsessive compulsive disorder to either buy 'em or build 'em. Pleadin' the Fifth on that one...

My early ones are not as nicely fitted-out as are my later ones, but all are configured differently. As I gathered more tools and developed a better assembly technique over the years, the end results became much more fine until what I now build are very nice rifles. Having all the correct tools makes assembly much easier, and considerably reduces the chances of damage to the lower. In all I have done for myself and for others, I have yet to break off even one of the trigger guard ears. Anybody who has knows the feeling of dread such an occurrence brings. Fortunately, Daniel Defense makes an integral pistol grip and trigger guard that mitigates such a blunder. Add to that, the grip angle is better suited for lengthy periods behind the trigger. Just a guess, but I'm thinking the angle is taken from that of the M1911 pistol. The pistol's grip angle is 18 degrees, which I have read is the optimum angle for both sighting ease and gripping comfort.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/ar-15-pistol-grip-prod71443.aspx
That's what I meant...SP-1.
We qualified with Vietnam Era M-16's and were required to make hits at out to 800 meters. I just want another retro rifle for the feel of it...
I'll probably go with a full 20" bbl A-2 Rifle since everything else I own has a collapsible stock.
I have the same addiction and a class 07 Manufacturer Dealer FFL. I love making my own...
View attachment 1260 View attachment 1260

20180401_083221.jpg

Rifle pictured is a custom 25-45 Sharps Carbine. 90-100 gr. bullets make it great Hog medicine..

That's what I meant...SP-1.
We qualified with Vietnam Era M-16's and were required to make hits at out to 800 meters. I just want another retro rifle for the feel of it...
I'll probably go with a full 20" bbl A-2 Rifle since everything else I own has a collapsible stock.
I have the same addiction and a class 07 Manufacturer Dealer FFL. I love making my own...
View attachment 1260 View attachment 1260

View attachment 1261

New Resource Reviews

Back Top