JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The firing spring in my bolt-action rifle is only slightly less dry than the lowest point in Death Valley. What type of lubricant is best to apply to it? I have RemOil in a spray and blue high-pressure grease. I don't run dozens of rounds per minute through the rifle , so I'm not overly worried about excessive friction galling the steel of the firing pin itself. What's your opinion about with what to lubricate the spring? Thanks.

I normally run them dry, depending on the type of Bolt action, this is almost a requirement! ANY Mauser type should be dry, with only a drop of grease/never seize on the firing pin at the bolt face! Remington 700's and like should use a dry type lube, and Savage needs a light grease/never size under the bolt head and a tiny bit on the firing pin at the bolt face only!

Hint, If the bottom of the bolt body is hollowed out like a Mauser 98, then it's meant to run dry, it's a design function for safety, if you get a case head separation, the gasses will escape through the bolt body and out the bottom as well as the "Hatcher Hole" and all Winchester and Rugers use this feature as well! Interestingly, the 1903 Springfield does not, relying solely on the Hatcher hole for safety!

If the bottom of the bolt body is hollowed-out like a Mauser 98, then it's meant to run dry. . .
I think the underside of the bolt does have long, oblong openings in it. I'm too lazy and too lacking in ambition to get the rifle out of its 60-inch aluminum case to look at it...

For me......

I'm not really thinking lube so much as I'm thinking of rust issues. Yup....ever seen those rusty springs? So, ok then, light coating of oil or grease should do it. Even for those firearms where there is no firing pin spring. Just apply a light coat and I'm GTG.

As for those times when it's hard to actually get at a firing pin without punches and stuff? Well, I've been known to use a spray lubricant.

Warning. Some lubricants can congeal and turn things into a gooey mess. Don't ask me how I know. Suffice it to say that I don't use WD-40 for that purpose anymore.

Aloha, Mark

Pine tree sap would do a real number, once it set up you'd have a heck of a job getting it out of your bolt, never to fire again till the WD-40 was used as a solvent anyway. Works a charm for that and the glue left behind from tape and price stickers from your local store!
I use WD-40 to safely remove dried on pine sap from just about anything!
Gabby

The firing spring in my bolt-action rifle is only slightly less dry than the lowest point in Death Valley. What type of lubricant is best to apply to it? I have RemOil in a spray and blue high-pressure grease. I don't run dozens of rounds per minute through the rifle , so I'm not overly worried about excessive friction galling the steel of the firing pin itself. What's your opinion about with what to lubricate the spring? Thanks.
Remington Dry Lube. You do NOT want oil attracting debris inside a bolt, so a dry, silicone lube is perfect.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top