JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the days after the Oct. 1 mass shooting, the National Rifle Association and its puppets in Congress gave the impression they were finally ready to consider reasonable steps to reduce gun violence.

We should have known they were only throwing up a smokescreen.

Now comes news that Congress is pushing an ugly piece of legislation known as the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, which would essentially rob states like Nevada of the ability to decide who should and shouldn't be allowed to carry a concealed weapon within our state lines.

The bill would require any state that issues concealed carry permits to honor those issued by other states.

For states that would have to recognize Nevada's permits, that's not such a bad thing. Not just anybody can get a permit in our state, and that's as it should be. It requires completion of a firearm safety course and a demonstration of competence with a handgun, and applicants can be denied for a variety of reasons, such as having a recent conviction for a violent misdemeanor crime or being the subject of a restraining order due to domestic violence.

These are the minimal requirements that one should expect.

What's unreasonable is to order states like Nevada to abide by the policies of some other states, where anyone who can legally purchase a gun under federal law can get a permit.

Thanks to lousy laws on the state books, Nevada already allows permit holders in a number of states to carry concealed weapons in the state, including some that are too loose for comfort. But under the CCRA, Nevada would face losing the ability to revise those laws short of abandoning concealed carry altogether, which isn't likely to happen. In other words, we'd no longer be able to pick and choose.

No way, NRA. Nevada won't stand for it.

Lowest common denominator gun measure endangers Nevada

The problem I have isn't being or not being issued a permit, it is that people feel compelled to request permission to carry a concealed firearm in the first place. The Second amendment doesn't say a damn thing about concealed or not concealed, it says "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" and that should be where all these discussions stop.

The CCW laws of Arizona should be recognized nationally. The crossing of a state line should not a make it law abiding citizen a felon. If I go on vacation I feel l should be able to protect myself and family. Being in a wheelchair doesn't give me a lot of other choices, especially in the wide expanses of the West when help may be 100 miles away.

A marriage license is good for all 50 states.
A driver's license is good for all 50.
A pilot's license is good for all 50.
The right to free speech is good for all 50.
The right to vote is good for all 50.
Why isn't the right to carry good for all 50?
Constitutional Rights should be consistent throughout the ENTIRE United States.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top