JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Received a nice Weatherby rifle over the holidays. Also just had shoulder replacement surgery ... what might be the lowest/lightest recoil ammo load for my Weatherby .243 Winchester rifle ? Not sure if a 58 grain varmint.. which has high velocity or a heaver grain 90 or 100 with lower velocity ? I cannot seem to find a table or chart ... Might there be someone out there with experience to offer ?

Didn''t think of that ... but ... not sure I am going to live long enough to get 1000 rounds thru the barrel ... but if I do, then I can go out and celebrate with a new barrel !! :)

A Limbsaver recoil pad immediately comes to mind. I had a shoulder replacement (+/- 4-years ago) and replacing the factory pad with a Limbsaver pad specifically made for my Marlin Guide Gun (in .45-70) makes the previously punishing carbine shootable for me once again.

Here is a link if you're interested:

Received a nice Weatherby rifle over the holidays. Also just had shoulder replacement surgery ... what might be the lowest/lightest recoil ammo load for my Weatherby .243 Winchester rifle ? Not sure if a 58 grain varmint.. which has high velocity or a heaver grain 90 or 100 with lower velocity ? I cannot seem to find a table or chart ... Might there be someone out there with experience to offer ?

Congratulations on your new Weatherby! I'll share some of my experiences and maybe it will give you some ideas.

There are recoil aids available. You can get a thick pad to wear on your shoulder though it does affect length of pull/eye relief in some cases.
As already posted, the Limb Saver slip on recoil pad or a something common to shotguns, a fluid buffer mounted in the buttstock.

My 40X 243 has worn multiple stocks and several barrels as well as sent a wide assortment of bullets down range.
For felt recoil, it has been my experience that the heavier the rifle, the less the felt recoil.
Varying the bullet weight didn't vary the felt recoil enough. You would likely "perceive" a difference but might not pass a blind test where you didn't know the bullet weight of the round fired.

Consider this. Your Weatherby is likely light enough to carry as most are designed that way.
Getting an additional stock would let you enjoy the rifle and not make any modifications to your original stock.
Magpul or Choate stocks will work with your barreled action and can be made heavier by adding weight.
There are many nicer stocks available but are also more expensive.

One of the stocks I have used with my 40X is the Choate Ultimate Varmint for Rem 700 Short Action. Functional and unattractive to say the least.
It has an accessory rail, multiple cheek pieces, and buttpad spacers for adjusting length of pull. The pistol grip is hollow and has a floor plate for adding weight. This was what I used for shooting off a table or prone while varmint hunting.

The original stock was a McMillan fiberglass benchrest. Very light and had noticeable recoil. I acquired a laminated benchrest blank and had it drilled for additional weight. On the bench, I was able to shoot "free recoil" where I am completely off the rifle and it slides back into my shoulder. Too pretty for the field but a delight on the bench.

There is another option but I'm not a fan. The Caldwell Lead Sled which actually holds the rifle and moves very little if at all. More than one shooter at my range will use the sled to tame their hunting rifles while they are developing loads. I have never seen a problem but there are stories or myths about stock damage.

A Limbsaver recoil pad immediately comes to mind. I had a shoulder replacement (+/- 4-years ago) and replacing the factory pad with a Limbsaver pad specifically made for my Marlin Guide Gun (in .45-70) makes the previously punishing carbine shootable for me once again.

Here is a link if you're interested:

These are nice...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top