JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So since there's a thread in the welcome that's gotten derailed with long range discussion. Lets start a thread about the subject (maybe even have a section added here) about the subject.

Anyways, time for a quick range report:

Finally got some range time yesterday at the club I joined a while ago... it was a gorgeous day for everything but shooting, it was cool and blustery with bouts of rain. The blustery kinda destroyed most of our hope of getting some good record shots, instead we were kinda focused just on getting bullets to hit the steel targets.

A while ago I put a 20MOA mount on my savage 10FP (.308) even with the scope all the way down, I was still holding down two mils at 400 yards, and only moving 2 mils high at 600. Wind was tough, and lighting conditions kept changing. (as well as wind)

Generally, in the past I preferred to dial in my dope, however lately, I've just been mil-ing the target to make my hits.

I've seen the term 20MOA for scope mounts before, what exactly does that mean?

You sure this isn't why you couldn't hit those long shots? :D

The base has 20 minutes of angle built in, otherwise you would have to dial in this angle on your scope to get your dope right. So a normal base would have no elevation, meaning the axis of mounting is parallel to the axis of the scope that sits on top of it. Longer range shooters that need more range, often run out of elevation in the scope, installing a base that already has some elevation in it will give you that extra travel back, at the cost of shorter distance shooting.

The base has 20 minutes of angle built in, otherwise you would have to dial in this angle on your scope to get your dope right. So a normal base would have no elevation, meaning the axis of mounting is parallel to the axis of the scope that sits on top of it. Longer range shooters that need more range, often run out of elevation in the scope, installing a base that already has some elevation in it will give you that extra travel back, at the cost of shorter distance shooting.

Ah that makes perfect sense! I was completely confused :confused:

I went to the range yesterday for the first time shooting long range, my group has some experts who helped a lot. I was able to hit 8" steel circle at 220 yards consistently and even out to 400 yards on an 12 x 20 steel pig. We had steel chickens, pigs, circles, and long thin rectangular targets. It was over 25 mph left to right that had to be figured in. I was using a Savage 223 bolt with a 5-15 40 Bushnell elite 3200 mil dot scope. I adjusted the scope on paper target to 100 yards days before this shoot. It was really fun to constantly here my spotter say "hit"

Here's the view from my 200yd target - looking back at the little spec that is my truck.
There are no lanes, and few limitations. LOL

<broken image removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
<broken image removed>

That seems cool, but good lord, if I need 150MOA of extra adjustment, I brought the wrong rifle, as I'm now shooting targets in defilade.

I went to the range yesterday for the first time shooting long range, my group has some experts who helped a lot. I was able to hit 8" steel circle at 220 yards consistently and even out to 400 yards on an 12 x 20 steel pig. We had steel chickens, pigs, circles, and long thin rectangular targets. It was over 25 mph left to right that had to be figured in. I was using a Savage 223 bolt with a 5-15 40 Bushnell elite 3200 mil dot scope. I adjusted the scope on paper target to 100 yards days before this shoot. It was really fun to constantly here my spotter say "hit"

I dunno, I've been blessed for a long time that I've always had access to longer ranges, and for the most part, I had to wait until my equipment caught up to really do it.

Really, with a system like that, you should be hitting every 24" target at least 1 out of 3 out to 7-800 yards. I say 1 in 3 because wind starts to play a pretty big role past 400, and a lot can happen after 5. One of the really big things that plays a role in how far you can push it is your elevation. I regularly shoot from about 800Ft ASL, all the way up to about 7000ft ASL, at the 1000yd range that's at 4200 ASL, you can really make some long shots count.

Here's the view from my 200yd target - looking back at the little spec that is my truck.
There are no lanes, and few limitations. LOL

<broken image removed>

It only looks like a speck because of the FOV of your camera.

What's more interesting, is while your truck looks like a speck, that cactus over to the side looks to be about the same distance, but the size of a sequoia.

Last edited by a moderator:
It only looks like a speck because of the FOV of your camera.

What's more interesting, is while your truck looks like a speck, that cactus over to the side looks to be about the same distance, but the size of a sequoia.

Well, like me, cell phones aren't known for for their distance shooting either.

I'll get a better pic of that big cactus next time out. It IS a big one.

BTW - that range in the distance is where the smuggler's lookouts hide at the top of the mountains.
We don't shoot there.

BLM-Warning-Sign1.jpg

Well, like me, cell phones aren't known for for their distance shooting either.

I'll get a better pic of that big cactus next time out. It IS a big one.

BTW - that range in the distance is where the smuggler's lookouts hide at the top of the mountains.
We don't shoot there.

BLM-Warning-Sign1.jpg

So a number of years ago, through a series of coincidences, some associates came across a number of 20mm Lahti anti-tank rifles in an old guy who had passed away's collection. We neither wanted to turn them in, nor keep them for ourselves (federal prison, no thanks), so we turned them over to someone who had the licenses to get them legal. (they were in rough, non-fireable shape, might have been dewar, but not to a current standard)

Anyways, this other friend restored them and when it was time for the inaugural trip, we went out, south of Hwy 8 on the california side. (his shop was down in san diego anyways) We picked a spot that was plenty abandoned, had a nice big hill for a backstop, started getting everything set up. anyways, we loaded the mags (IIRC 10rds of 20mm Lahti) got both guns up and running, and were just going to do a volley fire at this little hill.

We had maybe about 10 people, and about 3 vehicles, kinda arranged in a semi-circle, and we were all just going to let rip. So everyone's in position. The first Lahti goes off, *KABOOM* followed by the other. They exchange shots for a few seconds until both guns are empty, some of us watching the lahtis fire, others shooting their own guns at the hill. The brakes on the lahtis kicked up so much dust we could barely see.

After the guns went silent, and the wind cleared out some of the dust, we saw a group of illegals, maybe 50 or more tearing bubblegum south, leaving a giant trail of feces in their wake. None of us had any idea they were hiding behind that little hill. A few of us went over to check and make sure no one got hurt. Then we packed up our junk at GTFO'ed.

So a number of years ago, through a series of coincidences, some associates came across a number of 20mm Lahti anti-tank rifles in an old guy who had passed away's collection. We neither wanted to turn them in, nor keep them for ourselves (federal prison, no thanks), so we turned them over to someone who had the licenses to get them legal. (they were in rough, non-fireable shape, might have been dewar, but not to a current standard)

Anyways, this other friend restored them and when it was time for the inaugural trip, we went out, south of Hwy 8 on the california side. (his shop was down in san diego anyways) We picked a spot that was plenty abandoned, had a nice big hill for a backstop, started getting everything set up. anyways, we loaded the mags (IIRC 10rds of 20mm Lahti) got both guns up and running, and were just going to do a volley fire at this little hill.

We had maybe about 10 people, and about 3 vehicles, kinda arranged in a semi-circle, and we were all just going to let rip. So everyone's in position. The first Lahti goes off, *KABOOM* followed by the other. They exchange shots for a few seconds until both guns are empty, some of us watching the lahtis fire, others shooting their own guns at the hill. The brakes on the lahtis kicked up so much dust we could barely see.

After the guns went silent, and the wind cleared out some of the dust, we saw a group of illegals, maybe 50 or more tearing bubblegum south, leaving a giant trail of feces in their wake. None of us had any idea they were hiding behind that little hill. A few of us went over to check and make sure no one got hurt. Then we packed up our junk at GTFO'ed.

Wow. Great story!!!

Man that's some serious wind!

Thats funny as all bubblegum!!! I bet they looked horrified :eek:

I would pay to see that! They were probably terrified!

Had a chance to put a couple dozen rounds through a Ruger RPR (.308) at 100 yards the other day. Found that shooting accurately even at that distance isn't trivial. Really made me think about all the discussions my buddies and I have had about finding long range places to shoot. Even if we did find something 400-600 yards, I question whether we could hit anything :D

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top