JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I kept one bolt action rifle, Winchester Mod 70 in 30-06, one lever carbine, Marlin 1894C in .357 magnum and one USGI .30 Carbine. All the rest of my long guns have been sold. I use the Marlin for hunting coyote. If I do my part right in setting up the ambush, I do get a shot off. I don't always hit, but then that is not important. I get happy just getting one to come within 100 yards. I actually had one get about 50 yards from me before he spooked.

Does anyone else hunt with a .357 magnum level gun ? If so, what do you hunt, at what ranges, and how successful have you been ?

Wow, that's an interesting remaining collection. I don't hunt but my lever guns are among my favorites :)

I too won't part with model 70
-06 until from my cold dead hands, so to speak.
There's a JM .45/70 stainless guide gun here for coastal canyon elk, bear, and deer.
My kids and grand children have all my .30-30's and others now as I gave the last one I had to my 2 year grand child a month or so back and still need to pick up one more,, for now anyway. Danged breeders, they run a man right outa shooting irons!
I love those fast handling light little shooters, some of my favorites. I haven't gotten rid of all my other rifles yet though and can't see doing it anytime soon.
By the way, does a ruger mini 30 count if the little. .30 carbine does? Just curious?:D

I too won't part with model 70
-06 until from my cold dead hands, so to speak.
There's a JM .45/70 stainless guide gun here for coastal canyon elk, bear, and deer.
My kids and grand children have all my .30-30's and others now as I gave the last one I had to my 2 year grand child a month or so back and still need to pick up one more,, for now anyway. Danged breeders, they run a man right outa shooting irons!
I love those fast handling light little shooters, some of my favorites. I haven't gotten rid of all my other rifles yet though and can't see doing it anytime soon.
By the way, does a ruger mini 30 count if the little. .30 carbine does? Just curious?:D

They all count. I know what you mean about the breeders. I have 3 grandsons and a grand daughter. I got each a USGI M1 Carbine when CMP had the Italian returns a few years ago. I also got one for my son and daughter. I trained with the M1 Carbine back in the 1960s while in the USAF. It is a fun gun to shoot and a piece of history I passed down to my grandkids.

They all count. I know what you mean about the breeders. I have 3 grandsons and a grand daughter. I got each a USGI M1 Carbine when CMP had the Italian returns a few years ago. I also got one for my son and daughter. I trained with the M1 Carbine back in the 1960s while in the USAF. It is a fun gun to shoot and a piece of history I passed down to my grandkids.

Lucky kids!

My Win Mod 94 30-30. Handloaded with 170gr Hornady FN, a good dose of win 748. Fantastic on pigs wheh I hunted heavier game. The 150gr Barnes TSX worked just as well. Still have the rifle with it's Weaver K-4 on. You know; just in case I change my mind.

Not much for the Pistol Caliber Levers, I like um, but just cant seem to keep one! Last was a really slicked up Winny in .45 Colt, Should have kept that one, but alas, I let it go! I'm more a Big Bore Lever kind of guy, my Smallest is a .30/06, and the largest currently is a .405 WInchester, and hoping to find a project to build up a .458 Winchester! Course they are Winchester 1895's!
I also rock a couple of Marlin 1895's a 100 year anniversary special and one of the newer JM marked XLR's with a few hop ups, these are my back ups to SERIOUS hunting in YUGE predator country, and more then a few times they have harvested Elk, Moose, Caribou, Reindeer, and a few large Brown Bears! Levers are a lot of fun, practical, and darn nice to have!

My favorite lever gun is my Marlin 1894 carbine in .357mag/.38 Special. I use it in SASS shooting.

Cowboy-Long-Guns-001.jpg

But, my latest purchase of a lever gun was a Marlin 39M. Here it is pictured next to it's older brother (the Marlin 39A).

GEDC1111.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I also gave my Win 94's away. Kinda regret it but both son's shoot them often enough for my husband to have to re-load for them. I would love to get my hands on a Mod.9422M but haven't seen one for a few years now. I never shot at a coyote with a Mod. 94 but have taken numerous deer and a couple bears with the .30-30.

Just accumulated a look alike Model 92 made by Rossi. No warnings and all those stupid safety warnings. Caliber is 44 Mag. Will treat it with tender loving care as those older Rossi were very nicely made. I have one older double barrel 12 Coach hammer. One of the first ones out in the late 60s. The two go hand and hand pretty much!

Oops left out other brothers in the same room space. A couple of pre 64 Model 94 Winchesters in 30-30, and a Savage 1895 in the 308 Win. Caliber. Probably more into Bolt run stuff, but a bit of everything. Just guessing the most common being semi autos as they were the most available and prices were affordable at the time... I will say one thing is my tastes had to change as eye sight started to wane. The use of scopes came into use. First in the service, then as a civilian. Now it's necessary! Next year will be the year eighty, so maybe something had to give. Tri focal...Bah hum bug. they also change every couple of years! Guess only reason for the levers was the first few, and first two deer on the first year deer hunting fell to the sweetest little Marlin 1895 Carbine, case harden receiver with the barrel marked "Smokeless". It was in the 32-40 caliber with about a 16" barrel. Borrowed from family before the family split up, those first deer were taken at age 13 and one each year until age 17, when I went on active duty with the Marine Corps at 18. That rifle wasn't target accurate, but under 100 yards, it would kill deer with it's 160 grain bullet.

35_winchester_v_1521624239.JPG
Pretty Sexy says me, classic John Browning looks and feel and the ability to shoot modern smokeless cartridges, makes for a very powerful and capable rifle! This one is chamberd in .30/06! its safe mate is chamberd in .405 Winchester, I i'm looking for a project to see if it can take .458 or even a .500!

View attachment 5537
Pretty Sexy says me, classic John Browning looks and feel and the ability to shoot modern smokeless cartridges, makes for a very powerful and capable rifle! This one is chamberd in .30/06! its safe mate is chamberd in .405 Winchester, I i'm looking for a project to see if it can take .458 or even a .500!
I'm not sure how you would deal with the chamber pressures. Those that were in the 30-06 caliber had some issues with over time, head spacing changing. I know there was a short run of copies manufactured, and I don't recall the caliber. I believe if used with the calibers chambered of the day and kept with in those pressure ranges, most anything is doable. I think a straight walled 401 was the largest, and I doubt it came any where near those you were interested in. They did however beef up their Model 94s to where a more modern higher pressured cartridge could be used. However, I'm not sure if they would be interested in an upgrade that might have a limited market and uncertain funds? Materials today are much better, but I'm not sure it would over come the design for increasing the pressures that would be generated?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top