Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Lever action carbines

Reactions
I kept one bolt action rifle, Winchester Mod 70 in 30-06, one lever carbine, Marlin 1894C in .357 magnum and one USGI .30 Carbine. All the rest of my long guns have been sold. I use the Marlin for hunting coyote. If I do my part right in setting up the ambush, I do get a shot off. I don't always hit, but then that is not important. I get happy just getting one to come within 100 yards. I actually had one get about 50 yards from me before he spooked.

Does anyone else hunt with a .357 magnum level gun ? If so, what do you hunt, at what ranges, and how successful have you been ?

Joe Link

Reactions
Wow, that's an interesting remaining collection. I don't hunt but my lever guns are among my favorites :)

Reactions
I too won't part with model 70
-06 until from my cold dead hands, so to speak.
There's a JM .45/70 stainless guide gun here for coastal canyon elk, bear, and deer.
My kids and grand children have all my .30-30's and others now as I gave the last one I had to my 2 year grand child a month or so back and still need to pick up one more,, for now anyway. Danged breeders, they run a man right outa shooting irons!
I love those fast handling light little shooters, some of my favorites. I haven't gotten rid of all my other rifles yet though and can't see doing it anytime soon.
By the way, does a ruger mini 30 count if the little. .30 carbine does? Just curious?:D

OP
Hook686
Reactions
I too won't part with model 70
-06 until from my cold dead hands, so to speak.
There's a JM .45/70 stainless guide gun here for coastal canyon elk, bear, and deer.
My kids and grand children have all my .30-30's and others now as I gave the last one I had to my 2 year grand child a month or so back and still need to pick up one more,, for now anyway. Danged breeders, they run a man right outa shooting irons!
I love those fast handling light little shooters, some of my favorites. I haven't gotten rid of all my other rifles yet though and can't see doing it anytime soon.
By the way, does a ruger mini 30 count if the little. .30 carbine does? Just curious?:D

They all count. I know what you mean about the breeders. I have 3 grandsons and a grand daughter. I got each a USGI M1 Carbine when CMP had the Italian returns a few years ago. I also got one for my son and daughter. I trained with the M1 Carbine back in the 1960s while in the USAF. It is a fun gun to shoot and a piece of history I passed down to my grandkids.

Joe Link

Reactions
They all count. I know what you mean about the breeders. I have 3 grandsons and a grand daughter. I got each a USGI M1 Carbine when CMP had the Italian returns a few years ago. I also got one for my son and daughter. I trained with the M1 Carbine back in the 1960s while in the USAF. It is a fun gun to shoot and a piece of history I passed down to my grandkids.
Lucky kids!

Reactions
My Win Mod 94 30-30. Handloaded with 170gr Hornady FN, a good dose of win 748. Fantastic on pigs wheh I hunted heavier game. The 150gr Barnes TSX worked just as well. Still have the rifle with it's Weaver K-4 on. You know; just in case I change my mind.

Reactions
Not much for the Pistol Caliber Levers, I like um, but just cant seem to keep one! Last was a really slicked up Winny in .45 Colt, Should have kept that one, but alas, I let it go! I'm more a Big Bore Lever kind of guy, my Smallest is a .30/06, and the largest currently is a .405 WInchester, and hoping to find a project to build up a .458 Winchester! Course they are Winchester 1895's!
I also rock a couple of Marlin 1895's a 100 year anniversary special and one of the newer JM marked XLR's with a few hop ups, these are my back ups to SERIOUS hunting in YUGE predator country, and more then a few times they have harvested Elk, Moose, Caribou, Reindeer, and a few large Brown Bears! Levers are a lot of fun, practical, and darn nice to have!

Reactions
My favorite lever gun is my Marlin 1894 carbine in .357mag/.38 Special. I use it in SASS shooting.

Cowboy-Long-Guns-001.jpg

But, my latest purchase of a lever gun was a Marlin 39M. Here it is pictured next to it's older brother (the Marlin 39A).

GEDC1111.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Reactions
I also gave my Win 94's away. Kinda regret it but both son's shoot them often enough for my husband to have to re-load for them. I would love to get my hands on a Mod.9422M but haven't seen one for a few years now. I never shot at a coyote with a Mod. 94 but have taken numerous deer and a couple bears with the .30-30.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Dixie Center
1835 S Convention Center Dr, St. George, UT 84790, USA
Arizona State Fairgrounds
1826 W McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85007, USA
Pima County Fair
11300 S Houghton Rd, Tucson, AZ 85747, USA

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    When I go in I usually will watch and listen to employees before I choose which one to talk to...
    • Gunsandgars
  • Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    4.00 star(s)
    I have purchased new and used from them. I was lucky a while back and they had a Armalite AR10A...
    • Belevolk
  • Bruno Shooter Supply
    5.00 star(s)
    Not really a gun store per se, although they do have a couple rifles there for sale, but Bruno...
    • wildcat455
  • Ammo AZ
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place,awesome staff and customer service. Have personally done business with them numerous...
    • Tecj68
  • AJI Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    I have purchased a couple of firearms from AJI. They have a good balance of tactical and other...
    • 1971Chevelle