JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are you working on, or building? Break um out and show um off, lets see what you are building!

I'll go first!
1903 A-4 Springfield ( Rock Island Arsenal dated 1944) with Criterion 4 grove National Match barrel and blueprinted action.
Carving a new stock out of 100 year old Oregon Black Walnut! Lots of figure and tiger stripe, should look really sharp when done!
Still need to find/make new Iron Sights, but shouldn't be to big a deal! Work in progress photos!
IMG_0157.JPG

I built two bolt-action rifles in mildcats of my own design. Doing so took eons of time, tons of money, entailed numerous setbacks and what felt like near-limitless frustrations. Both rifles are a blast to shoot, so maybe it was all worth it. Now I just piece together the black ones for which you can buy every part...

ETixZz0h.jpg

Playing with a new GSG 1911 22. Right now I'm still trying to break it in. First 300 rounds were flawless shooting CCI Patriot ammo. After that I added a Tandemkross Accurizing Kit and had to start from scratch again. It took 200 rounds to break it in but ran 100% for the next 100.

Today I added +2 base pads to the magazines giving me a capacity of 12 rounds. I ordered +4 followers so that I will have 16 rounds per mag.

Next I will shoot Blazers for my #1 ammo. I may try to shoot CCI-SV but I buy Blazer by the case for about $20 a brick.

Right now I have a Pre-1948 Savage model 15 single shot .22 rifle.
I took it in on a gun trade and it cleaned up nicely .
(Light surface rust , dirty stock ....the bore is bright and shiny with great rifling )
But...

At random times , when you pull the cocking piece , it will fall forward and "fire" the rifle....
I haven't shot this rifle yet , because of this...only function checked it.

It did not do this when I saw it and checked it out at the store...I think the bolt was gummed up and prevented this from happening....

Anyways...i need to find out just how to take the bolt apart...and more importantly , get it back together...fully clean the bolt and see just what is what...before shooting this rifle.

No pictures yet...but if there is interest , I'll post some....
Andy

Thanks! It sure has some neat color to it, I have never seen such a color shift in Black Walnut or even Bastone, and Claro is usually more swirls and uniform color, this is really funky, but super cool!
Hey @Andy54Hawken , I got enough for a Flinter or Precussion long arm if ya P.M. me the specs! I'll wack out a chunck for ya and send it your way! Have a really slick "Wrist" piece that has some killer stripe and wild color, would be an amazing stick for ya!

Are you using templates? Or just rasping it away by eye, feel and what you think looks right?
All done from a basic template I cut from card stock, and the rest is done by eye and feel! Lots of hand sanding in the near future, but so far, this is almost all done by hand with an Angle grinder and 60 grit sanding disks! I'm super experienced with these grinders, can do some amazing and difficult stuff with them, and a dremel tool! Lots of sanding with a sanding board to keep things flat, strait, and true! It's really fun, I should do more then I have lately!
This stuff is super toxic, so you gotta wear a full face mask respirator, and gloves, else it will stain your skin and cause breathing issues and burning eyes! Never had that happen before, but then I don't usually work with Walnut, usually Claro or Cocobolo!

This stuff is super toxic so you gotta wear a full facemask respirator and gloves, else it will stain your skin and cause breathing issues and burning eyes!
Wow! Gives me a new consideration as to why stocks cost so much. I won't hillary the next time I need to buy one...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top