JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife got it for me for Christmas. I have a couple sets of Lee dies and I have always liked their auto primmer. But this press leaves a lot to be desired. It came with a Lee Auto Disk powder measure. Reading the types of powder and what each disk will weigh out I found while one disk will put a charge to low the next disk in size will put the disk to high. It says it won't measure flake powder as it may under charge and tells you to hit it with a wood spoon. It also says when working up to a max load to weigh each charge. It goes on to say "Most of these loads are unusable for many cartridges" The first page of instruction start out saying "dispenses an exact charge."

I have noticed the shell plate sometimes raises and rocks. All that a side what good is a turret press that can only hold one shell at a time? But I have it bolted to the bench just like I will use it and tell her what a great gift It even came with the greatest scale on earth, way better than the 3 RCBS's I have at least that's what Lee said. I haven't unboxed it yet.

Maybe the Dillon press I have had for 20 years that has gone through 5 primer feeds, a rebuild that would have cost more than I paid for it, and replacing the charging die a powder measure when I kicked it coming out of my attic all done for free. They wouldn't even let me buy some decapping pin for it. But they did let me buy some primmer tubes for it so I wouldn't feel so bad. I hear the wife coming so I better get posting.

You appear to me to be obviously bashing Lee, when it was your wife that bought it for you. I would think that you being a Dillion fan for 20 years she would know better than to buy you anything Lee. So bottom line, I think you need blame yourself, not Lee, for your wife's ignorance.

Me ? I've been using a Lee Turret Press for 20 years for loading hand gun, carbine, and even 30-06. It does just fine for my needs and I like the product. The Dillon's cost too much for what my shooting needs are. More power to you.

You appear to me to be obviously bashing Lee, when it was your wife that bought it for you. I would think that you being a Dillion fan for 20 years she would know better than to buy you anything Lee. So bottom line, I think you need blame yourself, not Lee, for your wife's ignorance.

Me ? I've been using a Lee Turret Press for 20 years for loading hand gun, carbine, and even 30-06. It does just fine for my needs and I like the product. The Dillon's cost too much for what my shooting needs are. More power to you.

I have always liked Lee dies and you can't beat their old style auto primmer. There turret press is a different story No die should move after being squared in the tool head. But if the turret moves a good 1/8" up and down the sizing, crimp and bullet depth can't be constant and it sure don't add to the accuracy. Dillion has the best warranty I have ever had on anything and everything I have owned. It being right across town is also a big plus.Two things i'm sure of is my wife ain't ignorant and your reloads ain't accurate. Maybe if you moved to a state where you can shoot some of those rounds you would find that out.That's coming from someone born and raised there. Just don't tell anybody.

Last Edited:

I have a Lee turret press, and I swear by it. I especially appreciate not having to reset my dies every time I change calibers. I put a washer over the bolt for the leg on the handle side, and tighten down the bolt just enough to keep the plate from rising.

Only Lee loader I ever had was the cheesy little handloader job Lee Loader Review— The Cheapest Way to Start Reloading Your Own Ammo - GunsAmerica Digest
I used it to load 30 carbine during senior year in hs when I had free time. It worked and I could afford it and cops never laughed at me while they often pulled me over & went through the contents of my car (bunches of guns, ammo, powder, primers & bullets & lee loader) and invited me to stay out of their cities--I recall one time they made my gf lay face down in a filthy parking lot to cuff & frisk her even though we had done nothing wrong. Boy those glendale cops sure showed me good
--guess I was a troubled teenager, still never shot anyone

Last Edited:
I had a Lee press way back in the early 1980s. It had three holes for the dies, and it did not rotate by itself. I do not remember what was the product name of the thing. I do remember how convenient and how expeditious it was to change from one die to the next. I either sold it or gave it away in 1985 when I discovered 35mm Nikon SLR cameras and Vivitar lenses. Now in 2019 35mm photography is more dead than a can of corned beef, but the reloading of metallic firearm cartridges continues onward into the future...

I'll chime in here since I am a majority Lee product user when it comes to their presses. I have three; a Breechlock, Cast Turret and a LoadMaster.

I use the single stage mainly for rifle and precision rounds, and the turret press handles the majority of the rounds that I produce from my bench.

I have also heard many people completely disregard Lee products and that's fine. I always encourage new reloaders to look into buying their first press by Lee. I would rather see a new reloader get more hands on practice in the art than drop more money on a press and have the same cost of components. To me it's a basic economics problem. Save the money on your first setup and reload more. When you decide to upgrade, there will always be a person who is in need of their first press.

Let's just remember to be excellent to each other in all posts.

Load on!

I have a Lee turret press, and I swear by it. I especially appreciate not having to reset my dies every time I change calibers. I put a washer over the bolt for the leg on the handle side, and tighten down the bolt just enough to keep the plate from rising.
My first press was one of those Lee hand held ones. I loaded thousands of .357 all the way up to 30/06 and never had a problem. but the progressive was a different story. The die holder would lift up a good 1/4 inch especially loading .308. I solved the problem by getting my single stage RCBS back from my daughter

Last Edited:
My wife got it for me for Christmas. I have a couple sets of Lee dies and I have always liked their auto primmer. But this press leaves a lot to be desired. It came with a Lee Auto Disk powder measure. Reading the types of powder and what each disk will weigh out I found while one disk will put a charge to low the next disk in size will put the disk to high. It says it won't measure flake powder as it may under charge and tells you to hit it with a wood spoon. It also says when working up to a max load to weigh each charge. It goes on to say "Most of these loads are unusable for many cartridges" The first page of instruction start out saying "dispenses an exact charge."

I have noticed the shell plate sometimes raises and rocks. All that a side what good is a turret press that can only hold one shell at a time? But I have it bolted to the bench just like I will use it and tell her what a great gift It even came with the greatest scale on earth, way better than the 3 RCBS's I have at least that's what Lee said. I haven't unboxed it yet.

Maybe the Dillon press I have had for 20 years that has gone through 5 primer feeds, a rebuild that would have cost more than I paid for it, and replacing the charging die a powder measure when I kicked it coming out of my attic all done for free. They wouldn't even let me buy some decapping pin for it. But they did let me buy some primmer tubes for it so I wouldn't feel so bad. I hear the wife coming so I better get posting.

5 shots, 6.5 Creedmoor. Loaded on Lee equipment. that one flier got me.

I have a plethora of Lee equipment at my bench, I also have Hornady, Frankford Arsenal, Lyman, RCBS but all my presses and powder drops are Lee.

Each powder drop I have contains an adjustable powder charge bar. They can be found on Amazon for around $10. Well worth it.
The only scale that will give you exactly what you want is an electronic one and even then, sometimes a few extra granules spill out and you have to redo the charge.

When i started loading on my turret press I had the same reservations as you about the .015" gap that comes up from the turret head when a case is pressed into it. That is fine in this situation as it always and only goes up so far. There is a consistent ceiling. Bullet manufacturing companies are more inconsistent with their meplat than my seater seats the bullets. I measure from the ogive and that's where I get consistency, not from the tip.

Work with your equipment, not against it and you will find that it's not really that bad.

When it comes to powder dispensing too, the best powder drops have a knocker on them. This consistency is great and helps to settle the powder and make drops even. I was over at a buddys house yesterday and there was an old powder drop on his work bench I tried to snag. You find a rhythm and that helps. The rhythm with the auto disc on a turret press is how you cycle the press around from station to station. That is the variation of the knocker.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top