JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Nevada CFP expires the end of March 2019. I need to find a renewal instructor. Any recommendations for the least expensive instructor that uses the standard NVSCA qualification course? I was on the LVMPD approved list from 2008-12. It wasn't worth it to me to maintain the business licensing requirements as the only reason to have a Nevada CFP now is if you're going to live in Nevada or require the NICS exemption for long guns.

Thanks.

You kind attention is directed here...

Blue & Gold Firearms Training - Home

As for cheeper...keep that mentality for buying other items, but for your training to defend you and your loved ones, Mac's cost is fair and he is an exemplary & knowledgeable instructor.

Remember you get what you pay for...go buy the cheep gun to defend yourself.

As for cheeper...keep that mentality for buying other items, but for your training to defend you and your loved ones, Mac's cost is fair and he is an exemplary & knowledgeable instructor.

I'll ping him and ask him what his pricing is. He doesn't have it posted on his website which doesn't sit well with me.

You're assuming that I'm a novice at carrying firearms.

I'm far from that.

I've been carrying firearms since 1992 and an NRA and Utah CFP instructor since Halloween 2005 and royal flush of States I have in my wallet are CT, NV, OR, PA and UT. I just did my second renewal for my non-resident OR CHL. Other States I've had are FL, ME, NH and VA. I let those lapse because they were no longer needed due to permitless carry or another State I'm presently maintaining being recognized.

My last Utah CFP instructor renewal was last April. LVMPD Approved Nevada CFP instructor from 2008-12. I can and have taught the class. I have a few dozen firearm declaration tags from me traveling legally armed with unloaded firearms and ammo in my checked baggage. One of the oldest tags I have in my collection is from America West Airlines prior to them being acquired by US Airways in 2005.

I worked alarm response during the Rodney King Riots and maintained a NRS 648 PILB open carry armed security qualification card from 1992-6 where you have to qualify in your duty rig annually at the time I was in the business back in the early to mid-1990s. Now it's every six months. I remember the long lines at the LVMPD substation when we went shall issue in the 1995 legislative session and Nevada Sheriffs started taking Nevada CFP applications spring 1996 when LVMPD Sheriff Keller was in office.

I think I know my way around a trigger since I've been carrying in some capacity since 1992. I'm just looking for someone to give me the mandated renewal training, give me any legal updates that I might have overlooked since my last CFP renewal March 2014 and qualification for the best price.

My time and money are better served with me going to the range regularly which most CCW holders do not do. They get their CCW(s) then just carry it until renewal time and don't put anything down range or test their carry ammo on the firing line or taking more advanced training from Gunsite, The Warrior Poet Society, Thunder Ranch or Valor Ridge.

We have a double standard in Nevada; non-residents and residents. The recognized States no longer have a renewal training or qualification requirement. AZ, ND (class 2), OR and UT only have a classroom instruction requirement. FL has a live fire training requirement of just one single round to hit a target. That meets the FL statutory live fire requirement. Non-residents with a recognized State have a less restrictive standard to CCW here than we do.
Remember you get what you pay for...go buy the cheep gun to defend yourself.

When I take Nevada CFP renewal, basically it boils down to "tell me something I don't know" and it's just as much of a chore as watching the paint peel while waiting for your turn in line at the Nevada DMV, doctor's or dentist's office.

That's why I want it cheap and quick. I'm on renewal four now. When you get to that point, it falls into the same chore as going to DMV and getting your vehicle smog tested the same day.

I'm not a Massad Ayoob, Reid Henrichs, John Lovell, Jerry Miculek or Clint Smith, but I've been around the block quite a few times in the past 26 years. I'm far from a firearm novice.

I have a large collection of firearms some of them have considerably appreciated. I have S&W 1076 (FBI) in 99% condition which is probably worth about $2K now, I paid about $525 for it about 15 years ago, a half-dozen SIG-Sauer pistols in every caliber with respective X-Change Kits except 10mm and most of the 3rd generation S&W pistols in every caliber from 3" to 4¼" barrel (i.e. 5906, et. al.).

Revolvers; .22 LR, two 9x19mm that cannot and do not use moonclips (S&W 547 3" barrel with five HKS 547 speedloaders which are going about $100 each now and a Charter Arms Pitbull Blacknitride™), .357 and .44 magnum. I won't own a .38 or .44 special or a revolver that requires moonclips.

I think given my extensive collection which I've acquired over the course of over 26 years working as a civilian armed professional, I think I have a valid reason for wanting the renewal to be as easy on the wallet as possible.

I'm not cheap when it comes to my taste in firearms nor a novice. I review the Nevada CFP renewal process as much of a pain as going to the dentist or DMV especially with the double standard between non-residents with a recognized State and residents.

I disclosed in my initial post that I'm an experienced shooter was on the Nevada approved instructor list through LVMPD without dropping a resume. You chose to ignore it so I gave you both barrels.

Anybody who is an experienced CCW holder and an instructor is going to be annoyed to no end over how we are treated by Nevada in contrast to non-residents who are carrying here on recognized State that doesn't have the same renewal qualification and training requirements Nevada CFP holders have to go through.

The big Nevada CFP renewal reforms that need to be redone here legislatively are;
  • Issuance window shortened to 60 days. LVMPD notoriously takes the full 120 days. IMO, they're sitting on CFPs. Two renewals ago for my 2010 renewal, LVMPD lost a lot of renewal applicants fingerprints and had to be fingerprinted again. Every other county does it much quicker than LVMPD. Other counties have been known to issue renewals on the spot during sheriff election years. If you need a background check for anything else in Clark County, it goes much faster than getting CFP.

• Removal of fingerprints, renewal training and qualification. Utah doesn't require fingerprints for renewals and they are still a NICS exempt State. You don't have to take a DMV behind the wheel test to maintain a driver license in good standing which is a privilege. That's not the case for Nevada CFP holders. IMO, every Nevada CFP holder should be annoyed as Hell over this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Public notice to LVLouisCyphre, you are hereby advised, per public publication, of Nevada Revised Statutes:​

NRS 200.571 Harassment: Definition; penalties.
1. A person is guilty of harassment if:
(a) Without lawful authority, the person knowingly threatens:
(4) To do any act which is intended to substantially harm the person threatened or any other person with respect to his or her physical or mental health or safety;

(b) The person by words or conduct places the person receiving the threat in reasonable fear that the threat will be carried out.

NRS 200.575 Stalking: Definitions; penalties; entry of finding in judgment of conviction or admonishment of rights.
1. A person who, without lawful authority, willfully or maliciously engages in a course of conduct that would cause a reasonable person to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, harassed or fearful for the immediate safety of a family or household member, and that actually causes the victim to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, harassed or fearful for the immediate safety of a family or household member, commits the crime of stalking.
How gracious of you to report yourself.

Have nice day.

I had my renewal done last Sunday at the Clark County Shooting Complex by National Triad Defense for $50. Brandon is very knowledgeable and kept the class interesting. I recommend his training organization for anyone looking for a Nevada CFP. However, he is not Utah CFP certified. His classes fill up typically a few weeks in advance.

The only snag I had was requalifying with my SIG P250C-9 converted from a P250C-22-BAS with an X-Change Kit. I was shivering my bubblegum off on the range. I elected to leave my jacket in my Jeep rather than wear it on the range. It was maybe 44°F out when I shot the qualification course before sunset. I still qualified without issue, just not as well as I would have liked and normally shoot. For those of you who don't know we've had hard freeze warnings in southern Nevada for the past couple of days. For the past couple of days, part of Las Vegas has been reaching below freezing. It has motivated me to train in cold(er) weather. We had a couple of water mains burst over the past couple of days.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top