JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought two bottles of kombucha at the grocery store, having no idea as to what it is. Did a little internet research, and I find it's some sort of "health drink." I have so far consumed one bottle; it tastes a bit like fizzery apple cider. It has a thin layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle, like you'd find in a homebrewed beer. Is the drinker of this elixir supposed to consume the layer of sediment? Inquiring minds want to know...

Quote: Adverse effects associated with kombucha consumption include severe hepatic (liver) and renal (kidney) toxicity as well as metabolic acidosis. At least one person is known to have died after consuming kombucha, though the drink itself has never been conclusively proved a cause of death. [my comment, at least conclusively but the drinker is still DOA]

Kombucha is produced by fermenting tea using a "symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast" (SCOBY). Microbial populations in SCOBY cultures vary. The yeast component generally includes Saccharomyces c. and other species and the bacterial component almost always includes Gluconacetobacter xylinus to oxidize yeast-produced alcohols to acetic and other acids.

upload_2018-8-13_0-55-47.jpeg
EXAMPLE OF SCOBY...

According to a 2000 review, "It has been claimed that Kombucha teas cure asthma, cataracts, diabetes, diarrhea, gout, herpes, insomnia and rheumatism. They are purported to shrink the prostate and expand the libido, reverse grey hair, remove wrinkles, relieve haemorrhoids, lower hypertension, prevent cancer, and promote general well-being. They are believed to stimulate the immune system, and have become popular among people who are HIV positive or have full-blown AIDS" UNQUOTE Kombucha - Wikipedia

Wiki's article goes on but my stomach soured reading biological & chemical compositional make up of the elixir promoted by PespiCo.

I've never tried it. Do you feel healthier?
I would have had I not stayed up until about 0330 last night watching youtube videos of superbikes outrunning police cars, dashcam videos of car crashes in Russia (the fistfights after one of those are always very entertaining to watch), videos of huge pieces of construction equipment going over banks into deep holes and trenches, one-kick martial arts knockouts, videos of US soldiers using .50-caliber rifles to end the miserable existences of jihadists in Afghanistan, and many more. I watched for maybe four hours. I saw the clock ticking later and later into the night, but couldn't tear myself away from what humanity does when truth and life come together on video.

Try adding Vodka!
I'm a trucker; we don't drink. I like the occasional Negroni which is one part gin, one part Campari and one part sweet vermouth. I mix it up in batches of about one quart. I drink so little that it may take me a year or more to drink one batch. I'd never consume even a small bottle of vodka, but thanks for the suggestion.

Did you drink them both because you were unsure of how you felt about it or were you just committed to not wasting money?
I drank one after having it set in the icebox for an hour or so to put back the chill it had when it came out of the chiller at the grocery store. The second one went down the next day after it had chilled down to the 36 degrees at which I keep my fridge. I was careful to pour carefully to leave the sediment. Even without the sediment, I still didn't like the stuff. It has a soury, cidery taste; just didn't like it.

I'm going to go back to homebrewing beer once the weather cools. Ales ferment at room temperature; too hot right now unless I want to run my air conditioner 24 hours a day. I'll get back to it once I have to heat my place to 70 degrees. My electricity is in my rent, so I could run the A/C 24 hours a day to maintain ale temperatures. I don't because I fear the smoking-hot days we've been having here for several weeks will eventually cause the unit to crash and burn. I get full-blast, unshaded sunlight on the east, south and west sides of my house. When set to 71 degrees the A/C can't get it to even 74 or 75 when it's really, really hot outside. That's too hot for ale fermentation, unless you like your porter beer tasting like kombucha...

After a few alcoholic drinks the night before, kombucha will straighten you out in the morning
Good to know, but I'm a trucker for FedEx. By and large, truckers don't drink. In driving for FedEx, I drink a beer or two only when I know for certain that I will not go anywhere for more than 24 hours after the last tip-up. FedEx always has Sundays off, so Saturday dinner is a good time for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (or two).

Good to know, but I'm a trucker for FedEx. By and large, truckers don't drink. In driving for FedEx, I drink a beer or two only when I know for certain that I will not go anywhere for more than 24 hours after the last tip-up. FedEx always has Sundays off, so Saturday dinner is a good time for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (or two).
yep. i hear ya. here in oregon, if you have a cdl its .03 bac max because if youre a .04 youre getting a dui and likely losing your cdl which also means your job.

its not worth it. especially with the amount of weight truckers haul. thats a whole lot of kinetic energy thats gotta go somewhere.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top