JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I usually go to a trap range for shotgun practice and fun, but, sometimes out in the desert. I always take a couple trash bags and a rake to leave the place as clean or cleaner than when we got there. Can't stand it when people leave all their crap just laying there. BLM see's that, they'll close area's down. Love the desert.

Just to show how dirty the desert can be. Here my GF shooting
20170312_120028(0).jpg

I always pick up garbage at the range. It's so sad that som people care so little.

Yep. If we all left it a little cleaner than we found it there wouldn't be an issue. Hard to argue with the people who want to close shooting areas due to trash when the photos speak for themselves.

Here's the san bernardino county shooting map.

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/portals/1/fishandgame/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

A lot of places are "shotgun only" and while this is rarely enforced, it's a good way to get yourself in a heap of trouble. If you're driving out of LA, instead of going to hodge, head north on 395, once you get north of Hwy 58 it's 100% legal, year round including night shooting. Also, usually when I'm out there, there are very few people. There's a spot on the map in T30SR43E, I take friends rather regularly. There are often motor-cycle groups in the area, but they're usually friendly. The one thing you have to note, there's a wilderness area called "grass valley wilderness" it's not well marked on google maps, however if you get near it, there is a fence around it. According to the county map, there are no regs as far as shooting there. (I'm sure the feds would have a caniption about it though) I usually just avoid it. There is a road that runs from Black Water Well south through the wilderness, it's a great opportunity to camp in some pristine country.

There are also some military sites in the area, China Lake NAAWS is to the north, and Ft Irwin is to the east, both are surrounded by fences and marked as military reservations. It's not unusual to see military vehicles operating on their side of the fence, but it's usually pickup trucks, probably maintenance staff or security.

Here's the san bernardino county shooting map.

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/portals/1/fishandgame/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

A lot of places are "shotgun only" and while this is rarely enforced, it's a good way to get yourself in a heap of trouble. If you're driving out of LA, instead of going to hodge, head north on 395, once you get north of Hwy 58 it's 100% legal, year round including night shooting. Also, usually when I'm out there, there are very few people. There's a spot on the map in T30SR43E, I take friends rather regularly. There are often motor-cycle groups in the area, but they're usually friendly. The one thing you have to note, there's a wilderness area called "grass valley wilderness" it's not well marked on google maps, however if you get near it, there is a fence around it. According to the county map, there are no regs as far as shooting there. (I'm sure the feds would have a caniption about it though) I usually just avoid it. There is a road that runs from Black Water Well south through the wilderness, it's a great opportunity to camp in some pristine country.

There are also some military sites in the area, China Lake NAAWS is to the north, and Ft Irwin is to the east, both are surrounded by fences and marked as military reservations. It's not unusual to see military vehicles operating on their side of the fence, but it's usually pickup trucks, probably maintenance staff or security.

Good info!

The 80 yard line on my favorite local range, just south of Casa Grande in Arizona.

<broken image removed>

Up from parking lot to 300 yard line.

<broken image removed>

Aerial view, love shooting here.

<broken image removed>

Was JUST there this afternoon...

Last edited by a moderator:
The 80 yard line on my favorite local range, just south of Casa Grande in Arizona.

<broken image removed>

<broken image removed>

<broken image removed>

Looks like a nice setup. Jealous of all the long range shooting you guys get to do out there :)

Last Edited:

<broken image removed>

<broken image removed>

<broken image removed>

Nice range, good shade! That's important there. Nice family, great job getting them out, popping caps!
Excellent video, very smooth and entertaining! :) SRG

The city of Casa Grande took advantage of a $50,000 grant that came out about 10 years ago from the feds to upgrade shooting ranges. 90% of states/cities didn't take it, but they did and the difference is obvious. The original range was the 300 yard line out to 200, just bulldozed out there. They ran into coliche and had to stop, until someone pointed out they could just go over the stuff, so the first berm is 200, and the second berm is 300. The black arrow points to my old 1/2 scale IDPA target on the 200 yard berm.

<broken image removed>

Then the improvement money came in and they worked out the other 4 lines, added concrete pads, covers, shooting meches, etc. Then about a year ago they improved the fromt with the handicapped parking pad and walkway out to the 300 yard line. What isn't in the picture is the one and only porta potty that was added later. The one that was vandalized by idiots. It still works just fine and the city cleans it out every morning along with picking up the garbage in the big round dumpsters they leave out here.

<broken image removed>

No, no running water or flush toilets, not yet, sewer system is at least a mile down the road, but six months ago they paved the road all the way out to the range. The city really supports the shooting sports. Just bring your own water, toilet paper and waterless hand cleanser

Here's what one of the 25 yard bays looks like - concrete inserts are on the ground marking off 5 yard intervals.

<broken image removed>

It is unmonitored, so the best times are morning during the week, as the weekend are when the nutballs come out, sometimes. 90-98% of the people out there are good people, but once in a while...this is when having the POLICE range next door is nice, but it's used by about 10 different agencies. Always someone out there training.
Yes, this is my little slice of heaven. ;)

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top