JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Everyone,

Just got into the long game. I was able to pick up a Bergara HMR Pro in 6.5 CM and I just finished a four day class and on first day out shooting was able to work my way out to 700 for a hit. Pretty happy with that, but that was on the fourth shot. First question, I am using Strelok pro and am a little confused on how to "true" up the ballistics. (am I even saying that correctly). So, I input all the info and then the shots are still off based on the data. So, after more adjustments, I get a hit, but now I need to adjust (True) my app, right? How do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Are you using the weather corrections?

Do you know the true bullet profile and were you able to select the correct profile for the scope you are using?

I found it was about right on once I gave it all the correct info.

Knowing the velocity of the ammo (in your gun) will go a long way to more accurate D.O.P.E aka data on previous engagements
Magnetospeed is probably the easiest/accurate solution. After you get your data, you can test without it mounted to confirm or monitor how it affects point of impact. My Magnetospeed changes impact less than one scope click (1/8 MOA) at 600 yards. That is with a 1.25" straight contour barrel.

Other options are Labradar which has a learning curve and Optical chronographs which can be inconsistent.

Do not get addicted to long range.............

27279B3A-F523-4698-9EE3-E29FDB3F1748.jpeg

I reload my own ammunition taking more time with the ones I will use for long range. Also bigger targets help a lot. Don't be to proud to use a lead sled to get a good path on your rounds. Where I need improvement is on drift

Last Edited:
Hey Everyone,

Just got into the long game. I was able to pick up a Bergara HMR Pro in 6.5 CM and I just finished a four day class and on first day out shooting was able to work my way out to 700 for a hit. Pretty happy with that, but that was on the fourth shot. First question, I am using Strelok pro and am a little confused on how to "true" up the ballistics. (am I even saying that correctly). So, I input all the info and then the shots are still off based on the data. So, after more adjustments, I get a hit, but now I need to adjust (True) my app, right? How do I do that?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to long distance shooting. It can be very rewarding. I'm an old school kinda guy so my advise is even with all the "apps" in the world the best way to start is with the basics, and that includes learning how to shoot your partictular rifle first. Then move up from there. You can learn alot by just shooting 300-500 yds on a 10 knot day just using your rifle and scope.

So, a few quick pointers. Strelok is a bit of an advanced tool, it can make your DOPE tables better, it is a poor replacement for a dope table. In order to "true" up your work, you need to know: Muzzle velocity, BC, range to target, temp, barometric pressure (absolute), humidity, etc. If you know some or all of these factors Strelok can be a real boon. with it's target view, otherwise you're probably best off with just taking a spoiler and adjusting.

At the very basic you should have a thermometer in your kit. If possible you should chronograph your favorite loads, and know what the BC of your bullets are. You should also write down what range your gun is sighted in for. With these bits of info you can start to get useful data out of Strelok.

Please tell me that isn't your personal gun vault. Guessing there's over $100,000 worth of fine art there depicted. I'd like to visit that room just to inhale the hints of Hoppe's Number 9 and gun oil therein.
I started using Hoppes Elite and some of the new biodegradable CLPs, the odor of Hoppes was starting to give me headaches over time. I know ballistol is grea,t but the smell of that is too intense for me.

. . . the odor of Hoppes was starting to give me headaches over time.
Been so long since I've cleaned a smokepole that I can't remember if the vapors of Hoppe's affected me or not. If I remember correctly, the last time I popped-off a round was May 2021. I do remember that I didn't clean the gun after firing it.

Would a 6.5mm rifle be a PRS tool? I have a gorgeous Zermatt Arms TL-3 action with left bolt and right ejection. Have had it since June 2020 and have done nothing with it since I got it. Something about a pandemic and its effects on the US economy. I envision the rifle in a chassis with a heavy, fluted barrel around 28 inches long. Nightforce scope. I'm thinking a 6.5-284 Norma chambering. Hope I can find the time to go out and practice with it...

I have 3, 6.5 Creedmoors and a 6.5 x 284. Never shot it.

This is my 6.5 x 284. Custom
I bought a Savage Hunter in the 284 and used that action.
MDT LSS FDE Chassis
Stock Trigger
Glade Armory Bolt Knob
Blackhole Weaponry Bullbarrel - made it Oregon
Rock River Island Buttstock and Hand Grip
20 MOA rail
Luepold HD 4 Scope
Atlas Bipod
ASI mags ( I think )

$2000 into it 5 years ago............

I have a can on the end now. Another $700

IMG_0292.jpg IMG_0293.jpg

I like that chassis. Nicely minimalist. I think if I had one, I'd put an A2 buttstock on it so I could slide it back and forth in the bag. My TL-3 has the M700 footprint. I'd have to assume MDT makes a chassis to fit the M700 footprint. I sure hope so. If I remember correctly, my action has a 30 MOA rail. My dream is to shoot the thing out in the desert, just three miles from my home. I can shoot a mile out there, and no one would say boo about it. That's why I moved here from the area around Winchester, Virgina in Fall 2004.

I'm thinking a 6.5-284 Norma chambering. Hope I can find the time to go out and practice with it...
Will go with the 6.5mm PRC-- a standard cartridge and American in design. Quit my job at FedEx and will start with another company on Feb 22. I'll go from Sparks, NV to Livermore, CA, do four drop & hook operations, return and be at home every day. Around 450 miles per day. Five consecutive days on; two consecutive days off-- something FedEx Ground could never offer. A 30% pay increase over FedEx Ground. The chiseled-in-stone duty cycle will allow me to make beer, reload ammo and go shooting. Haven't been able to do any of those things since June 2020. The only bummer is that winter will return with a vengeance on my first day and be with us for a total of three days. Forecast to be in the low 60s come the 26th. Chaining season ends on April 30th...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top