JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any suggestions on how to strip the paint job off? I just want to bring it back to black. It even matches my bed LOL.

20200725_125839.jpg

I'm wanting to trick this thing out a little and ditch the commercial buffer tube. I just think it would look funny with some mossy oak parts here and there after I replace things on it.

If that is a factory finish, it is most likely Cerakote. That almost always has to be bead blasted to remove it. If it is paint, some people just use acetone. I would check with some place like Wright Armory in Mesa (west of Alma School, north of Broadway on Mulberry). They have probably done it before, but I don't know what they charge to do it.

Thanks for the reply. I think what I'm going to do is get a milspec buffer tube. Swap the stock to a milspec sized one. Swap the forearm and see how it looks with camo just on the upper/lower and pistol grip. If I ever need my gun camouflaged I'll just wrap the forearm and stock with some burlap and some foliage from wherever I need it camouflaged. I think the redneck camo is growing on me lol. I'll post pics when I get them swapped

Might try Jasco Paint and epoxy stripper, seems to be able to break down lots of hard finishes including valve cover wrinkle paint!
1595957476641.png

Old school, but might also do the job is Naval Jelly, most good hardware stores stock it, and it might be able to pull that finish off as well, might be cheaper!

Might try Jasco Paint and epoxy stripper, seems to be able to break down lots of hard finishes including valve cover wrinkle paint!
View attachment 8518

Old school, but might also do the job is Naval Jelly, most good hardware stores stock it, and it might be able to pull that finish off as well, might be cheaper!

Where can I go get myself some of that valve cover wrinkle paint, And does it require any special equipment to apply it?

Last Edited:
Where can I go get himself some of that valve cover wrinkle paint, And does it require any special equipment to apply it?
Krylon makes one version of it, it's hard to find, but NAPA and most Ford and Dodge/Jeep dealers usually stock it!

I usually buy it from Ford, as it seems to be the nicest finish and most consistent, and doesn't require anything but a strong trigger finger! :s0155:

The upper and lower is stripped. But it's not fully black. There is a whitish tint like there is a really fine paint residue on the reciever me or my friend cannot get off. Currently the rifle is at my friends house so no pics yet. He is gonna be getting some matte black rattle can spray in the morning so we can spray it this week

Doesn't seem like many people here are very interested in this project. But in case anyone was watching this here is a before and after. I think I did a pretty good job on restoring the rifle back to normal. Now I can start modifying it a bit.

20200810_104305.jpg 20200725_125839.jpg

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top