JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all I cant find any reference to this question so I thought I would pick a few brains here. Is the Model 57 41 Magnum worth thinking about opposed to getting say either a Model 29 or 629 44 mag?
It would be for steel shooting mostly .
Many thanks.

I see you're showing your location in St. George. I thought you said that you'd not get to the US and set-up your residence until sometime this coming summer. No matter; we're happy to have you here. The US is always looking for people to come from other places and to have them be self-sufficient upon arrival.

I'd get a S&W Model 629. It's a big gun, Americans love it and you can always sell it if you ever need to do so. After the Dirty Harry movie of 1970 when Callahan held his 629 on the punk, that model was unavailable for months and months. It's no longer "the most powerful handgun in the world," but we still love it. It's so powerful, you could use it to go deer hunting. Might even be able to hunt bear with one, but I'd ask Ura-Ki about that before you race off into the woods...

If you really want a really powerful revolver, get a .454 Casull. I've shot several rounds through one, and it will rock your world. You'll kill that steel dead several times over per shot.

Tell me this 629 ain't a beautiful gun...

Model 629-01.JPG

Last Edited:
. . . asking silly questions . . .
Better to ask what you might think is a silly question about firearms than to hurt yourself or somebody else because you didn't ask what you might have thought was a silly question. Being safe with a gun is a shooter's Number One concern, no matter how many years we've been using them.

Ask any question you like; we will do our best to provide you with the most informative answer we can. We owe it to whomever comes here and asks an intelligent question. To mislead you would be absolutely improper and disgraceful. We want as many people involved in the shooting sports as we can get. To BS you might just send you away. Nobody here wants that.

I'm still a flaming, greenhorn newbie with guns; only been fooling with them since 1983. Still have a lot to learn about how to intelligently handle them and how to reliably hit at what I aim...

Last Edited:
I was fortunate. I wanted a 41 Mag and I found A Ruger Bisley, 7.5", in that cal. I love it. Agree that the ammo is a bit pricey.
I'm just throwing out an alternative here, but naturally you see my avatar is Ruger Rich. The Smith and the Ruger are both great guns.

Hmm... well the 629 has a lot going for it, being stainless and all.. Ive had one and Ive had several .41's. I like the .41... The N-frames are decent. Not that I want Smith to hit the skids, but I settled on the Ruger Redhawk in .44. It's double action and is stronger framed than the Smiths... The .44 mag is more powerful than the .41 and it is easier to find a carbine in that caliber.
The .41 is a great self-defense round, while the .44 is a great woods round should you have to defend yourself against bears and large cats.. and has less expensive and more readily available shotshells for snakes and close-in small game...
Again I suggest you consider the Ruger double-action over the Smith for durability and any warranty work should you ever need it (assuming you havent already decided).. Best wishes, Dun

I love the .41 mag! My avatar is my S&W 58! The only difference between the 58 and 57 is the 57 has target sights. It's a great self defense and hunting round. There very reasonable to shoot if you or someone you know reload otherwise it is kinda expensive just like any other magnum round. The .41 mag and 10 mm is my favorite 2 calibers.
Stacy

My experience with the model 57 was very positive. I truly like wheel guns as reliable and accurate. The round itself, .41 mag, is quite a stopper and penetrates very well. However, there is a current resurgence in the 10mm in semi auto. Not quite as powerful, but I doubt anyone hit with it will note the difference. I have had good experience with the springfield armory XDM version and find 16 rounds of 10mm more than adequate to handle most chores. Either way, both are excellent choices for self defense or hunting if that is your taste.

Model 57 is a very nice gun, especially in the 6 1/2 inch or 8 inch size. My preference over the 29. Nor could you go wrong with Keith's 41 magnum and yes, it will take down bear without trepidation.
Affordability, and availability, getting difficult to come by though. You'll have great fun either way you go.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top