Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Is the Model 57 41 Magnum worth considering?

Reactions
Hi all I cant find any reference to this question so I thought I would pick a few brains here. Is the Model 57 41 Magnum worth thinking about opposed to getting say either a Model 29 or 629 44 mag?
It would be for steel shooting mostly .
Many thanks.

Reactions
I see you're showing your location in St. George. I thought you said that you'd not get to the US and set-up your residence until sometime this coming summer. No matter; we're happy to have you here. The US is always looking for people to come from other places and to have them be self-sufficient upon arrival.

I'd get a S&W Model 629. It's a big gun, Americans love it and you can always sell it if you ever need to do so. After the Dirty Harry movie of 1970 when Callahan held his 629 on the punk, that model was unavailable for months and months. It's no longer "the most powerful handgun in the world," but we still love it. It's so powerful, you could use it to go deer hunting. Might even be able to hunt bear with one, but I'd ask Ura-Ki about that before you race off into the woods...

If you really want a really powerful revolver, get a .454 Casull. I've shot several rounds through one, and it will rock your world. You'll kill that steel dead several times over per shot.

Tell me this 629 ain't a beautiful gun...

Model 629-01.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions
. . . asking silly questions . . .
Better to ask what you might think is a silly question about firearms than to hurt yourself or somebody else because you didn't ask what you might have thought was a silly question. Being safe with a gun is a shooter's Number One concern, no matter how many years we've been using them.

Ask any question you like; we will do our best to provide you with the most informative answer we can. We owe it to whomever comes here and asks an intelligent question. To mislead you would be absolutely improper and disgraceful. We want as many people involved in the shooting sports as we can get. To BS you might just send you away. Nobody here wants that.

I'm still a flaming, greenhorn newbie with guns; only been fooling with them since 1983. Still have a lot to learn about how to intelligently handle them and how to reliably hit at what I aim...

Last edited:
Reactions
Reactions
I was fortunate. I wanted a 41 Mag and I found A Ruger Bisley, 7.5", in that cal. I love it. Agree that the ammo is a bit pricey.
I'm just throwing out an alternative here, but naturally you see my avatar is Ruger Rich. The Smith and the Ruger are both great guns.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    2.00 star(s)
    I've purchased a total of 6 or 7 firearms from Murphy's, I think. In general, it's a normal gun shop. Some folks are nice, some ignore you, some...
    • mikemenzie
  • Arizona Firearms - Tempe
    5.00 star(s)
    I went there today to pick up a firearm and had a very good experience. I will shop there again.
    • MadDuner
    5.00 star(s)
    Every time I go in there I leave with what I needed and without feeling like my wallet was raped.
    • Mrjenkins
    5.00 star(s)
    Anyone in Phoenix area should check out Arizona Firearms on University and Priest. They have a big selection of firearms and have great prices.
    • JonathanB
  • Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    When I go in I usually will watch and listen to employees before I choose which one to talk to. The good employees are great to talk with. The...
    • Gunsandgars