JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm reloading .243 for my Ruger American. Goal is to be ready for deer hunting in the fall.
My Lyman reloading book (49th edition) shows IMR-4350 as potential for 90 grn bullet. 90 grn bullet is a bit light for whitetail, but I believe the Nosler Ballistic tip can do the job.
My question is this, is H4350 the same as IMR-4350??? I realize Hodgdons bought IMR, but, are the powders exactly the same?
A local guy is selling some H4350, so is it worth me buying, or is it not the right stuff for my needs?

I'm also reloading 100 grn bullets. I don't have a lot of confidence in 100 grn bullets, I've shot several boxes of Winchester and a couple boxes of Federal factory loads and wasn't really happy with the results. I just don't think my rifle likes that weight. However I picked up a few different bullets, Speer, Hornady and Sierra so I'll be trying them out.

Very similar, exactly the same NO.
Burn rates are different. I would check the formulas and find one for the 4350 powder.

I am no wild catter and believe in following the formulas known to work.
I also rarely load anywhere near the max. More like the middle of the road.

I would get the H4350 and load accordingly. I don't know the twist of your barrel but it may be too slow for the longer bullets. H4350 is a very stable powder. YMMV, Mark

Here's the data for 90gr & 100gr projectiles from Hodgon's site (https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center) Definately not the same powders

H&I-4350-243.jpg

Here's the data for 90gr & 100gr projectiles from Hodgon's site (https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center) Definately not the same powders

View attachment 20987
Thanks for the clip.
I'm too new to see the difference. All I see is that the suggested starting loads and max loads are different.
I suppose one could deduce that because the velocity/charge is different from 100 grn bullet to 90 grn bullet therefore the burn rate is different. But, the chart does not equivalently show the velocity and pressure of both powders for the same Grs of powder (bullet weight independent).
I'll believe you that they are not the same powder. Seems a bit misleading by Hodgdons to use the same number doesn't it though?

The numbers, or names, on the powders are from long ago before the two companies merged. Since the powders are different, they have to continue to have two different names as the load data is different for each. I'm sure it has to do with marketing, way back when, before they were sister companies as opposed to trying to be misleading.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top